• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Gen Music

Best Gen Music?

• Total voters

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 22, 2015
I'm kind of suprised from the lack of votes on IV, because I think it has the best to date. The music in the Lakes and battles, sounded really uplifting and intense.

I really liked a lot of R/S/E's music as well, and you can't go wrong with X/Y too.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
For the old generations, it has to be Gen III because its music served the perfectly intended mood. For the DS generations, Gen V brings the brilliance to the table. I felt thet cities' music, battle themes, etc had a lot of research and effort placed into them, and I love the electronic direction they took on. Very fist-pumping. Gen VI has also a wonderful catch of songs, too.~

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Gen 6 may easily be a contender for best battle music, I am a huge gen 3 fan but that may just be the nostalgia talking, it's a tough thing to keep in check.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
When I listen to Generation 6's music in high quality, it doesn't even seem like it comes from the game itself. That, and they are also catchy and fun to listen to.

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
Years
Gota go retro and say Gen 2 for me, i started with red/blue/yellow but something about the intro music to Pokemon Silver just always got me pumped up! Everytime i heard that music i wanted to go to Mt. Silver and challenge Red right then, lol

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Generation 3. What? I like trumpets. XD No but seriously, the games had a fantastic soundtrack and I really like the legendary encounter music, among other things. The bells at the beginning of it are just perfect and really stand out for me. Another specific reason is that for towns, almost no songs are re-used, if I recall correctly. That just adds to the score for me.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
All from Gen 2 to Gen 6 have the best music, though I like R&S music I don't really like the blendness of LGFR cuz the music isn't very juicy to my ears

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Sep 3, 2019
Gen 3's music was glorious for the GBA. And Gen 6's was a total step forward for the series, I felt like I was playing a FF game the first time I played X.

Mesmerella

Preschooler
Years
I went with Gen III... R/S/E had some really brilliant music, and I also really like the remixes present in FR/LG; especially the Johto pieces from the Sevii Islands, seriously, they did the Johto themes so much better than HG/SS did. Gen VI is a close second for me, though, the legendary battle music was just incredible. <3

Years
For me, the most interesting and best composed music comes from Gen 2. Newbark Town theme, Goldenrod theme, National Park theme are all beautiful and great to play through on the piano. Although Gen 6 has really great music in it too, definitely my second favourite. I can't believe the most favoured gen is 3 ! I found the artificial trumpet sounds annoying as anything. Although the Pokemon Ranger music from that time was great.

Shhmew

Years
I love all of them really. I don't think I can choose just one or even a few. They were all unique and had amazing and memorable music. I guess I liked Gen 5's the least, though I must say Unova's Route 10 is fantastic. I had it on my old iPod shuffle, I loved it so very much.

For gen I and II, the 8 (16?) bit music was just perfection. To this day it really only holds nostalgia, but a special kind of nostalgia. I still love listening to the SS Anne music of Red/Blue/Yellow, and the National Park music of Gold/Silver/Crystal.

And then Gen 3. Oh my goodness. Those trumpets were so charismatic and signature of the generation. I miss it a lot. Firered and Leafgreen's music didn't stick out too much, probably because it was mostly all just updated remixes of old music I previously really grew attached to. Heartgold/Soulsilver was the same way, though I feel like they did better than Firered/Leafgreen.

For Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, the vibe I get from thinking back on its music is "dreary and solemn", which might sound bad but I have good memories with it. Those games overall had a pretty soft, easygoing, dignified sort of feel to them, which made them unique to other games, in my head.

For X & Y, it had some pretty amazing music, some of it is kiinda forgettable though. I enjoyed the champion's music a lot. And most other tunes were just very modern and catchy and just... work. You know?

It all just works. Pokemon does a pretty great job with music, all things considered. <3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Gen III- Hoenn wins for me, no contest at all. It's so rich and vibrant and immersive; it matches the region so well. And I just particularly love the utter joy it conveys. <3

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I know my answer is probably 99.99% nostalgia based, but imo the 1st Gen Games had the best music. I love the 8bit sounds to this day and cant get enough of them. Plus, there is no better Gym Battle and Wild Pokemon theme than Kanto's

dirkac

scarfmaster asterisk
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 3, 2023
Easily Gen IV.
I loved the Soundtrack it had, and it wasn't overly pushing or trying like Gen I/II/V tried to be, it simply sounded either grandiose, solemn, or mystifying, things I very much liked.
Some of my avourite Tracks include the Battle! Dialga/Palkia, Battle! Team Galactic Commander, and Battle! Champion Cynthia.

B2W2, XY, and Gen III also had brilliant Soundtracks, ranging from Battle! Colress, to Successor Korrina, and Sealed Chamber.

Gen I, II, and BW were meh, to me.

Years
Gen III by far. Not because of the trumpets, but I just like how it's the closest to non-8 bit nostalgia I can get. And it was the main generation of Pokémon for me as a child, so it gives me fond memories :)

Back