• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best Pokemon to catch at the start of Platinum?

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2016
    What up guys, i've just started to play Platinum for the first time ever. It's the only generation of Pokemon I haven't played so i'm not very used to the pokemon. I have chosen Chimcharr to begin with as I know Monferno and Infernape turn out awesome!

Can anybody with good knowledge of the generation recommened any pokemon for me to catch early on in the game? I have just caught my first pokemon - Shinx - not sure if it's a good pokemon or not but hey ho.

Any recommendations would be appreciated thank you!^^
    Youtube - Joshkeeno

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
    I started with Chimchar, too. :D And the first Pokemon I caught was also Shinx. It's been in my party ever since, now as a Luxray, so if you're looking for an electric type for your team it's not too bad to have.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2016
    I started with Chimchar, too. :D And the first Pokemon I caught was also Shinx. It's been in my party ever since, now as a Luxray, so if you're looking for an electric type for your team it's not too bad to have.

Yeah my Chimchar has been really good for me actually and destroyed most things in its way!
    My Shinx has been slow but steady progress, got spark now so happy days^^

Went with my Gen 1 knowledge and caught a Ponyta I encountered and a Gastly (for Gengar, my favourite pokemon;))

Years
    Starly is just a beast of a Pokémon in-game wise. Just look at what your average Staraptor packs at level 50: Intimidate, Close Combat, STAB Brave Bird, these two through a nice attack stat and a decent speed. Add Return and you have the sheer power, the coverage and some resistance/utility through Intimidate, too.

Shinx/Luxray has good mixed power and don't get me wrong, I'm using him for my current Diamond run, but you don't really get the best out of him without egg or tutor moves. I'd still rec him but that's still enough of a shame to point out.

Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2016
    Starly is just a beast of a Pokémon in-game wise. Just look at what your average Staraptor packs at level 50: Intimidate, Close Combat, STAB Brave Bird, these two through a nice attack stat and a decent speed. Add Return and you have the sheer power, the coverage and some resistance/utility through Intimidate, too.

Shinx/Luxray has good mixed power and don't get me wrong, I'm using him for my current Diamond run, but you don't really get the best out of him without egg or tutor moves. I'd still rec him but that's still enough of a shame to point out.

I kept seeing Starly popping up and edventually gave in and caught him, put him in the PC though - but with what you're saying, it sounds like it'd be worth getting it out and grinding with it. Thanks man!

Years
    As Rodroek said, Starly is very good and one of the best Flying-types in the game since it gets good moves at the right times which is usually not what you expect out of the typical early route bird Pokemon.

Zubat is also solid if you want an alternative choice for a Flying-type, along with also being Poison-type.

Budew is also another good catch early if you want a Grass-type. Make sure you run around a lot so you can raise its happiness to evolve into Roselia, and once you get a Shiny Stone you can have a powerful Roserade at your hands.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    First of all, welcome to Gen 4! ♡ It was my first Pokemon game so I'm quite biased, but it is without a doubt the best Pokemon game I've ever played. It's my baby.
    Best Pokemon to catch at the start of Platinum?
    I hope you have a great time playing!

So, great choice on the Shinx! I have a Luxray on my team every time I play through Platinum and it never disappoints.

Another good choice is Gyarados, and you get the Old Rod really early on (Jubilife City) so you could start training a Magikarp right now. Yeah, Gyarados is a Flying type who can't learn Fly, but it covers Surf/Waterfall and is all around a great attacker so you'd still get some good use out of him/her! Plus as you said in a previous post, you seem to plan to use Staraptor, and it can learn Fly anyways.

Budew, as Hikamaru said, is also a fantastic choice. Roserade is incredible, not to mention all the status moves it can learn.

A little further on (after you beat the 4th gym leader) on Route 208 you can find Ralts, and a Gardevoir or Gallade would both be awesome options for your team! Can't go wrong with Psychic. c:

Can't wait to see how your team turns out!

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    I can't recommend Shinx enough, or at worst Pachirusu. Electric moves will help, a lot. :) I used both of those Pokemon in actual full-game teams. Hope you enjoy Sinnoh :D

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    Onix is a good Pokemon to catch near the start of the game from Oreburgh Mine. Might take a while to be able to evolve it into a Steelix though, but Onix on his own is still a good pokemon to have.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    The thing about Platinum is that it's one of the games with the least amount of early-game filler. Even though some Pokemon are better than others, you can't really go wrong with any of them besides Kricketot, Burmy, Pachirisu, or a few others. Staraptor turns into an offensive beast, Bibarel can be really good when passed stat boosts, Roserade turns into an excellent special attacker, etc. As for Shinx, it's... okay. Doesn't really have the best moves to take advantage of its stats, with its best physical Electric move being Spark, and its speed is pretty lacking. Not bad, but not one of the best options. I usually end up slapping electric moves on special attackers like Gardevoir, or waiting for a better Electric type like Jolteon.

Years
    You can't go wrong with a female Combee evolving into Vespiquen very early on. I absolutely loved having Vespiquen on my original Platinum run; and some people don't really consider this, but an alternative to Staraptor could easily be Noctowl, it's first evolution hoothoot is in the same area as the 2nd Gym iirc, it's a pretty good sleep-stall because of Hypnosis.

Also; I usually grab a psyduck for a golduck evolution, always fun to use Golduck.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Shinx is probably one of the best Pokemon t catch early on. A totally viable electric-type that supports almost any team and will cover you for Crasher Wake. I'd definitely recommend catching one and using it on your team if you're looking for an electric type.

Back