• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Best thing about HGSS?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I really liked the Safari Zone. I understand how some people really disliked the whole 'move around the areas' thing but, to me, that was just an inevitable side-effect of having SO MANY POKEMON to capture all in one space. By the end of the game, I'd actually got most of my team from the Safari Zone, it was that useful at providing amazing critters for capture.

Years
    I really liked the Safari Zone. I understand how some people really disliked the whole 'move around the areas' thing but, to me, that was just an inevitable side-effect of having SO MANY POKEMON to capture all in one space. By the end of the game, I'd actually got most of my team from the Safari Zone, it was that useful at providing amazing critters for capture.

I loved the new Johto Safari Zone, didn't catch many Pokemon there but I like the neat customization feature and the fact the timer is no longer there (which is convenient) but the best bit is all the Pokemon you can catch after getting the National Dex.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2014
    following pokemon!!!!!! I loved that so much because it reminded me of pokemon yellow.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The follow me feature of course! It sucks that it seems to only be an HGSS exclusive. u_u; But definitely a reason to buy the game too + nostalgia.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    I know that some people dislike this, but I really liked the Pokethalon.

And I really liked the redesigned Mount Silver.

I do wish that they could have added the Sevill islands though.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I agree with walking with your pokemon, I really miss that in B/W. It was always so cool to see your favorite pokemon right behind you :D One thing about the gameplay I liked was for sure auto run, and how it is just a sweet game where you get to go to two regions. It makes it really exciting to play still.

Years
    There's actually too many excellent things about HGSS to name, for me. I guess I can try, though XD

Gold/Silver are definitely my all-time favourite Pokemon games, and to be able to relive that experience in a totally revamped world was just brilliant. I like that Nintendo waited until AFTER Platinum was released to focus on HGSS, because they were able to include all the great things that Platinum had brought, as well as all the great completely new features (Pokemon following you, Pokeathlon (?), GB Player, etc). That of course and the fact that it managed to retain virtually every bit of nostalgic value.
    I suppose one of my favourite things about HGSS was the GB Player. Music is key, to me, and the fact that they acknowledged that people liked the music enough for them to want to hear the 8-bit chiptunes again is just awesome. :)

xGunLuis

Let's Player
    Years
    best thing about heargold and soulsilver to me was the pokemon following you and the fact that you can have infinite sprinting so u dont have to hold down the B button :)

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    My favorite part was the extensive touch screen enhancements that streamlined the entire game, aggravating me when I switch to Platinum or D/P. The walking Pokémon was another huge plus for me, and so was the graphics and sound. Sadly the first two features are absent in B/W :/.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The Pokemon following me was honestly the only thing that got me through HGSS. I was bored pretty much from the start of the game and I don't think my boredom would have been alleviated by the end of the game had I not brought a Cherubi in from Diamond and had it following me nearly the whole way through. My Cherrim saved the game for me so I feel that was, hands down, the best part of the game.

I will admit I really liked the Pokethlon and Voltorb Flip, though. I just wish the latter had a larger board so that it was less up to chance. :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Following Pokemon. :3 It was a cute feature that didn't achieve much but it was still a nice thing about HG. I can't really remember anything else that sticks out tbh.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I honestly think that it's having the Pokemon follow me feature that made the games so much more replayable for me, haha. Other than that, I also thoroughly enjoyed the improved menu system, and the fact that it's essentially my favourite game from the main series updated with new graphics and whatnot.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I enjoyed exploring Johto in general because I never got to play G/S/C. I also enjoyed revisiting Kanto after not playing FireRed/LeafGreen for a while.

The Pokeathlon was also fun, as well as the Pokewalker feature.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
    Has to be the Pokemon following you. Nice to implement something new

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

LapLace1500

I just ride....
    Years
    It was the "your Pokemon shall follow you and there is nothing you can do about it" feature. It was nice to have your starter follow you, especially if you chose Cyndaquil. It's like a way, way, way, way, way better Pokemon Crystal. But, they could've kept Kris.

Back