• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Better if only based off animals?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    My favorite Pokemon are usually plant based or mecha like. I admit some miscellaneous Pokemon are a bit much, but there are a lot of others that make up for the ones in poor taste. Animal based Pokemon seem to be predominant anyway.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Pokemon shouldn't be strictly limited to animals alone, after all, the charm in the Pokemon franchise comes from the large variety of creatures it has, and limiting it to just animals and animal-like creatures would make the franchise more like another generic monster-collecting franchise like any other.

2MooglesGaming

PokeMoogles
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2015
    Yeah, I don't know why some people dislike the non-animal designs so much. Yes, some of the object-based are pretty odd (Klefki always comes to mind), but the fact that they're not just animals adds to the wonderment of it all. Pokemon are Pokemon, not otherworldly animals.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    Honestly, Klefki is the only inanimate object Pokemon whose design doesn't make sense to me from an in-universe standpoint. Even in a fantasy world like Pokemon's, a species whose appearance and behavior is so heavily influenced by manmade objects is a little hard to believe. How and why did it come to be? Why is it so compelled to steal keys? And why keys, specifically? Maybe if the answers to these questions were given satisfactory answers, I'd be alright with Klefki.

Years
    I'm with Masterge here, if Pokemon was only based on animals it would be much less exciting than it is right now. The reason why it's enjoyed is because there is variety in the designs, and that's what allows for all these interesting features on the Pokemon.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    What I hated about Genwunners out there (dont get me wrong, no hate pls) is that how we have ridiculous Pokemon in the newer gens like Klefki or Garbordor, but we also had Voltorb and Electrode, and tbh they look more ridiculous and less thought out than Klefki or any other newer gen Pokemon :x

But if we only had Pokemon as animals, I'm pretty sure it get boring and animal groups like PETA get to be aggressive as it is based on animal abuse, but if you really think about Pokemon, it really isnt since we have Pokemon that are not animals. Yes PETA, give rights to keys or ice cream because they dont deserve to be abused :)

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    Well, I don't judge Pokemon based on design alone. I find that shallow since a Pokemon can still perform its best even if it has a ridiculous design. I never got the hate for Pokemon based off of man made objects like Kelfki and Magnemite. Well I prefer Pokemon based off of animals, I don't hate Pokemon based off of man made objects.

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
    Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Animals, and there are monsters based on all sorts of things, including plants and stones and manmade objects.

Look at Japan's yōkai- some are animalistic like the tanuki and then there are others that appear as inanimate objects, like a paper lantern ghost.

I've never understood what people have against Pokemon like Chandelure, Klefki, and Golurk, because they are easily among the best in the series.
    I'd rather have a variety of differently inspired creatures than a dozen different foxes.

So to answer the question, no.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2016
    It keeps the franchise entertaining. If you could judge what every single pokemon was based off of, it would kinda kill the excitement.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Honestly, Klefki is the only inanimate object Pokemon whose design doesn't make sense to me from an in-universe standpoint. Even in a fantasy world like Pokemon's, a species whose appearance and behavior is so heavily influenced by manmade objects is a little hard to believe. How and why did it come to be? Why is it so compelled to steal keys? And why keys, specifically? Maybe if the answers to these questions were given satisfactory answers, I'd be alright with Klefki.

There has been certain pokemon such as voltorb to be based off inanimate objects. then there's Porygon too...but those are technically man-made pokemon. Pokemon can literally be anything, but so far, we've never seen pokemon that just happen to look like inanimate objects.

Theres also pokemon that looks like a chandelier, and a sword. we don't get much of an answer for those either...and it really bothers me.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    There has been certain pokemon such as voltorb to be based off inanimate objects. then there's Porygon too...but those are technically man-made pokemon. Pokemon can literally be anything, but so far, we've never seen pokemon that just happen to look like inanimate objects.

Theres also pokemon that looks like a chandelier, and a sword. we don't get much of an answer for those either...and it really bothers me.
    Honedge and friends are said to be actual swords that are possessed by spirits, possibly the people who wielded them in life.

You're right, though, that the Litwick line actually has no explanation... But I'll let them pass because they're adorable. :D

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Vanilluxe is NOT ice cream. It's snow with the shape of an ice cream cone. Which is perfectly acceptable, since, when it was invented, ice cream was made mostly of ice.

The explanation of Vanilluxe's existence is the same as Muk: snow (and sludge) made into living by radiation.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't agree. I like that the Pokémon series is open ended when it comes to design. Pokémon aren't animals, they're Pokémon and people shouldn't treat them like they're meant to be animals. Somebody said it earlier but I think if Pokémon were just animals it would be a lot more generic.

Many Pokémon I love like Cofagrigus, Golurk, Weezing, Magnezone, Gengar, Sigilyph, Mawile, Trevenant, Reuniclus would be gone if this was in effect.

I definitely believe people need to get over their inanimate object Pokémon issues. They're here to stay.

Last edited:

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    To me, Skylanders seem to be going down the 'nearly-all-animals' route in terms of what their characters are based on moreso than Pokémon. Sure, that series has got robots and spirits and such, but if you look at most of their guys, they're nearly all animal-like.

Now, dear old Pokémon, and the question of the hour; would it be better if they're all based on animals? No, not at all. Where else would we get such interesting chappys as the Regis? Or spooky 'mons like Golurk, Darkrai, and Dusknoir? I kinda like that Pokémon have diversified in recent years in terms of what things, creatures and concepts their 'mons are based on, and I'd like for them to keep that trend going.

Back