• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Bianca or Cheren? [Post and I'll give you a cookie]

Cheren or Bianca?

• Cheren

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Bianca

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Both just awesome

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Both just terrible

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    They're both equally great rivals, but I'm going to have to go with Bianca. She definitely has more spunk and is enthusiastic in finding a purpose out in the Pokémon world. Cheren too has a goal, but it seems more generic as it's to be the strongest trainer/become champion within the Unova region. So Bianca gets my vote. :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Cheren.

Bianca's character was created to make her seem waaay too stupid imo, whereas Cheren thinks he knows everything and aims to be the best much like someone else we all know and he just seems believable. :D

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I liked Bianca, just because Cheren somehow seemed incredibly shallow of a character to me.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
    Years
  • I found neither one very interesting, but as far as rivals in all the games go, these two seem like more effort was put into creating them.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Well... the only character that can be considered a rival really is Cheren. At least in my opinion. He's the only one that acts rival-like in that he strives to beat you throughout the game. Bianca on the other hand seems to just fight you as a friend, as she presses onward to find her purpose in the world with the company of her Pokemon.

Bianca is really the first character to hit any kind of growth, when she gets confronted by her father in Nimbasa City. With the exchange she has with him and his selfish stubbornness, she indicates that she knows things will be tough as she progresses on her journey, but with her Pokemon, she can be strong, and she even gets an assist from Nimbasa's Gym Leader, who helps make him realise that he's 'protecting' her to the point of smothering her. With that, it almost looks like Bianca takes Elesa as a kind-of idol, though I don't think anything else comes of it, as you progress through the game... which is unfortunate.

Cheren on the other hand, strives for power, but he's extremely naive and doesn't consider how strength is gained, until Alder gives him something to think about starting before the Driftveil Drawbridge; why does he want power? Where will he go when he achieves his goals? As I noted earlier in my post, he's really the only childhood friend that can be given the classification of rival, because in a lot of ways, he's kind of like the rival from D/P/Pt, only a lot more composed and calculating.

For these reasons, I'd have to say I like both of the childhood friends, because though you don't get to see any resolutions for them, you get to see them grow just a little as they travel around the Unova Region.

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Cheren. He reassembles me, really. His character is almost exactly the same as mine. The only difference between me and him is that I've never lost in PKMN battles, while he lost many times against me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    I found Cheren more intresting, as you can battle him as the champion later on.
    So the vote goes for Cheren.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2015
    I felt that both have a lot of potential, and I believe both were decent rivals, I just felt that they needed to be executed little more.

The fact that you face them regularly is what I liked most about them, it makes them a part of the story and not an afterthought, that's also what I liked about barry and silver, they were a relevant part of your journey.

I never liked gary because not only is he incredibly shallow but you only see him a few times, and the 3rd gen rivals really could have went better, brandon and may don't even try and even give up later, and wally really needs to have encountered the player more throught the story, it would have been nice to he how he grows along with the story.

Cheren and bianca seem to lose out in favor to most fans because they aren't anghsty like silver or strong like gary, but that may just be me.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Cheren is a stupid, power-hungry control freak, while Bianca is an annoying airhead who never thinks intricate thoughts. They both are annoying.

Persephone

Queen of Hearts
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2011
    *Shrugs* I like them both, enough said. Sure Cheren and Bianca aren't the best rivals ever, but they aren't the worst either. I really think Nintendo did a great job picking out their personality. You gotta remember that Cheren and Bianca are teenagers, so they are going act stupid once in awhile... don't we all? (;

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I like both of them, for different reasons. Cheren because he's the stronger of the two but actually discovers a reason for pursuing power throughout thje course of the game. Bianca gets points because orange is the color of my alma mater she's just so bubbly and she has a different reason to journey rather than to be the strongest - she wants to see the world and decide for herself what path she wants to pursue.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I like Cheren, but I love Bianca! <3

I don't like how Cheren's always looking for more power, at first it made me think that he would be the boss at the end of the game, who's overcome with power, but I already knew it was N so it kinda ruined it! <_< But I like how at the end he realizes things.

Bianca's so ditzy and blonde it's so funny and cute. She reminds of a stereotypical blonde girl to be honest. Although I like the fact that she pursue's her goal to become a Pokemon trainer, regardless of what her father say's. :3 Go girl, go!

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • I felt that both have a lot of potential, and I believe both were decent rivals, I just felt that they needed to be executed little more.

The fact that you face them regularly is what I liked most about them, it makes them a part of the story and not an afterthought, that's also what I liked about barry and silver, they were a relevant part of your journey.

I never liked gary because not only is he incredibly shallow but you only see him a few times, and the 3rd gen rivals really could have went better, brandon and may don't even try and even give up later, and wally really needs to have encountered the player more throught the story, it would have been nice to he how he grows along with the story.

Cheren and bianca seem to lose out in favor to most fans because they aren't anghsty like silver or strong like gary, but that may just be me.

In the games, Gary never existed. He is known as Blue.
    And it's Brendan. Brandon is the Frontier Brain of the Battle Pyramid.

As for your opinions, I have to say than Bianca is really, really, sloppy as a PKMN Trainer. She lacks power. That is exactly why she isn't as strong as Cheren. Cheren, in the other hand, is what you call a real PKMN Trainer.

Trainers are supposed to find power. Unfortunately for him, searching for power isn't enough. He never succeeded his goal. In order to find power, you need to have a sufficient streak of winning, instead of losing.

Lastly, the reason on why I hate Bianca is because she is really weak. Not to mention that her design is something else I hate about her. I mean, who wears orange leggings? Cheren has much better fashion sense than Bianca does.

NatureKeeper

Cheren is a jerk, and he gets on my nerves that I want to hit Cheren inside the battle instead of his Pokémon, while Bianca's battle animation is funny, while Cheren looks like a complete retard. Also, Cheren has a Leopard while Bianca has a Yorkshire Terrier. Cheren has a BIRD while Bianca has a dream eating high HP stat epic creature.
    I guess my point came across.

pokewalker

If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
    Years
  • Agreed with keeper. Cheren is such a nerd x.x While Bianca is better, but still not as awesome as eg May.

Where's my cookie

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Bianca or Cheren? [Post and I'll give you a cookie]

This one.

I don't really like either as rivals. Cheren's personality is awful. He's actually quite sickening and he's awful at battling whereas Bianca knows how hopeless she is and doesn't annoy me as often.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • I like Bianca a lot more since I watched the anime but I still will choose Cheren, I mean...common' he is Uryuu Ishida from Bleach!

Where is my cookie :,)?

Back