• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Blindness

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When playing new Pokémon games, do we have tendency to play with help of walk-throughs (also known as blind-run, if I'm not mistaken), or do we do it all by ourselves, without any help at all?

For me, I don't believe I play with any guide by my side. Unfortunately, they tend to spoil things, and ruining most of my fun. If it's something I have never played before, I would like myself to be enjoying the experience as the aspects are rather fresh; if that is ruined, well... it might be sort of a waste of money (well, maybe not precisely, but we get the point).

I do follow walk-throughs, however, when going into my second or third run, just so I could make sure that I don't wind up missing anything important (such as some item in the wild, for example).

Years
  • When I played through White the first time there were a few things I knew about, like the final battles and some of the Gym Leaders. But with White 2 I had already watched Marriland's documentation several times, so that wasn't being unprepared at all. With X there were a few parts that I went into without knowing anything, same with Omega Ruby. So you can say that I don't really care if my first go is blind or not.

Years
  • For every game up until Black and White, I bought a strategy guide. I have them all still, sort of a little collection of mine. I love strategy guides. For Black and White and on, I do it blindly but use the internet if I get stuck with something :3

Years
  • I always play without looking at walkthroughs, unless, for some reason, my mind has drawn a blank and I'd be wasting precious time if I didn't find out where to go. If I were to look at walkthroughs or guides otherwise, it would ruin the game for me. There wouldn't be as much excitement since you are merely following instructions rather than finding out what to do yourself.

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
    Years
    • PR
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    The only time that I needed a walk-through guide was back there in gen 3, where I got stuck finding the Regis and several other things and the only way to get out was acquiring the guide. I didn't have access to internet, my only help was the guide. You don't get much use of it after playing the game, but is pretty useful as reference due to having the PokeDex of that generation and some nice images.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I also use the strategy guide for hidden items I've missed before; it's rare I use it for in game play (as in playing the game). Though I tend to spoil myself before the game is released since I'm the type of person who wants to know what's going on without feeling tension or wondering when it will end.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I never use walkthroughs for Pokemon unless there's a puzzle that is PISSING me off. Another thing I had to look up was unlocking the regi trio in rse because I was so lost with that one. I think Pokemon games are so straight forward you don't really need a walkthrough. I've been tempted to look up E4/Champion teams in the past, but I resist and just go into it blind as it's more exciting.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I prefer to go in blind. Sure if I get stuck in a puzzle I'll look it up, or if my friends had the game first And I'm at the League I'll ask them what types they are, but I like to find the surprises myself. I stayed away from anything Delta Episode for this reason. XD But that was a fun part

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Pikmin, Zelda, and Fire Emblem games are like the ones I need a guide for to really enjoy it. Pokemon is very easy going and I'll really need a guide for obscure things like finding legendary mirage spots or the braille codes for Regi trio. Or that strength puzzle by victory road in White 2.

Back