• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Blue Pentagon Explained!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Blanc

The White Rabbit
Years
  • It would appear Serebii has finally discovered what the small blue pentagon located on a Pokemon's summary page means.

http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

The pentagon is a hack-check. If a Pokemon you receive through trading has the pentagon, that means it was obtained through legitimate methods. If the pentagon is absent form the summary screen, the Pokemon was hacked and/or tampered with.

Figured this would help a lot of players who are fans of Wonder Trading or trading with Random Passerbys, what with the Bad Eggs and all.

If this has already been addressed, please disregard this topic and delete it, please!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Leads me to wonder if it's 100% accurate when we start importing pregen pokes in, since it wasn't in place before.

They said that the PokeBank can tell if your Pokemon are fake or not. Originally they said you could not pass a fake Pokemon into PokeBank, and they said examples like the iPhone App created Pokemon, or ones made by sites like PokeGen and Pokecheck.

I'm sure their system can tell if they were originally caught in a previous generation as PBR had a similar check method that wouldn't allow 3rd Gen hacked Pokemon to be playable on it.

Years
  • They said that the PokeBank can tell if your Pokemon are fake or not. Originally they said you could not pass a fake Pokemon into PokeBank, and they said examples like the iPhone App created Pokemon, or ones made by sites like PokeGen and Pokecheck.

I'm sure their system can tell if they were originally caught in a previous generation as PBR had a similar check method that wouldn't allow 3rd Gen hacked Pokemon to be playable on it.

I mean with legal and legit pokes. Previously unless I'm mistaken there was no way to tell a generated legal pokes from one that was achieved in game. Or did they come up with a way to check older pokes in that sense?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I mean with legal and legit pokes. Previously unless I'm mistaken there was no way to tell a generated legal pokes from one that was achieved in game. Or did they come up with a way to check older pokes in that sense?

I just said that they could tell a legit Pokemon generated in the game from one generated from an outside source. PBR had that check built in and they specifically said that PokeBank can tell a Legit Pokemon from a Fake/Hacked Pokemon. They've been able to tell for a while now, this is just the first time they've incorporated it into the games actual systems. As well as given a visible proof in game.

So the games and PokeBank can tell if its fake/hacked according to Gamefreak and TPC.

Also I see you seem to mistaken what legit Pokemon are. If its not from the game itself or passed through some event, its not a Legit Pokemon. If you made it with a Fake game, used an outside device like an Action Replay/Gameshark, or went and used the Pokemon creation apps or websites, they are all fake and not legit. Even if they are made in game using an Action Replay they are not legit. RNG is the only legit as it doesn't use an outside source to make the Pokemon.

So if its made in any way with outside help, it is not legit or legal. That is what you call a Hacked Pokemon.

Last edited:

Karjam

AKA KarjamP
    Years
  • Don't get your hopes up too high that the checker can't be fooled.

Proof? The front page of a site called "Project Pokémon" (darn, my inability to post links until I have 15 posts) showed one of the few Pokémon successfully hacked into the game:

A shiny Gible named Wireshark.

Said Gible has the pentagon on him, thus, proving that the game considers him legit.

Years
  • I just said that they could tell a legit Pokemon generated in the game from one generated from an outside source. PBR had that check built in and they specifically said that PokeBank can tell a Legit Pokemon from a Fake/Hacked Pokemon. They've been able to tell for a while now, this is just the first time they've incorporated it into the games actual systems. As well as given a visible proof in game.

So the games and PokeBank can tell if its fake/hacked according to Gamefreak and TPC.

Also I see you seem to mistaken what legit Pokemon are. If its not from the game itself or passed through some event, its not a Legit Pokemon. If you made it with a Fake game, used an outside device like an Action Replay/Gameshark, or went and used the Pokemon creation apps or websites, they are all fake and not legit. Even if they are made in game using an Action Replay they are not legit. RNG is the only legit as it doesn't use an outside source to make the Pokemon.

So if its made in any way with outside help, it is not legit or legal. That is what you call a Hacked Pokemon.
    Don't know if its widely agreed upon but my definition of Legal was that is passes all checks in the game and can be used online. Legit that is was solely created in game with no outside sources.

Don't get your hopes up too high that the checker can't be fooled.

Proof? The front page of a site called "Project Pokémon" (darn, my inability to post links until I have 15 posts) showed one of the few Pokémon successfully hacked into the game:

Said Gible has the pentagon on him, thus, proving that the game considers him legit.
    A situation like this is what I was talking about.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Don't get your hopes up too high that the checker can't be fooled.

Well, that Gible was edited and not created. Serebii updated saying the mark also means that it is Kalosian of origin, meaning its "okay to use in an upcoming tournament". It's likely that any non-Kalosian will be banned from many official tournaments to prevent hacks from Gen V or older from being used. We currently have like 595 (or something like that) Pokemon available, so this makes sense.

From what I believe, hackers have no way to actually insert their edited Pokemon into the game. Lets hope it stays that way.

Years
  • Don't know if its widely agreed upon but my definition of Legal was that is passes all checks in the game and can be used online. Legit that is was solely created in game with no outside sources.

I think you're right. Legal doesn't equate to legit for the reason you mentioned.

Karjam

AKA KarjamP
    Years
  • Interestingly, it was a guy at Project Pokémon who pointed out to Serebii that the translation of their source was incomplete, and thus, Serebii had to update the page with the more complete translation.

Of course, I was the one who announced Serebii's news to them.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There are plenty of methods to tell if a Pokémon is legitimate or not. A good example would be checking stats; if the Pokémon's got more stats than it should, then you could confirm that it's definitely hacked. If the Pokémon's got a move that it can't normally learn, then this is hacked as well. Another way would be by checking where it was caught. If the location seems a little strange to you, then there's a big chance that the Pokémon's hacked. d: Those things are pretty time-consuming, though, and could also be a bit of hassle at times. I'm glad that they've introduced this feature; now, we don't have to check Pokémon ourselves—it's done automatically.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • The literal definition of this pentagon, given by the Pokémon Company, is that the Pokémon is ok to use. This came from the rules of the upcoming Dragon tournament in Japan where, on looking deeper into the fine print, it is stated that Pokémon that were transferred from Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 cannot be used. There is a possibility that the mark could be for Pokémon obtained natively in the Kalos region, with other marks for Pokémon transferred, but this will not be made clear until December 25th when Pokémon Bank is released
    This is from Serebii.net. The marker could also denote Pokémon that are caught in Kalos, which makes sense because Kalos is nearly a pentagon.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • I am happy this feature exists, but maybe not for the same reason most of you are :) .

I used AR to get event exclusives, because I play for Pokédex completion, I hate empty spots in the Pokédex where the event exclusives are supposed to be, and I didn't get back into Pokémon until a year and a half ago after a six years long break, so for most of event exclusives I was simply late to the party (the only ones I got via events were Deoxys and Genesect) . If there's a hack checker in the game, that could mean "Hacked is fine, but keep it to yourselves", and that's pretty much all I need. I don't plan on flaunting them online or allowing them anywhere near the internet, but as long as the system allows me to transfer them from my Gen 5 games to my Gen 6 games, get their Pokédex entries and then store them in a box and never touch them again, I'll be happy.

Other than that, I agree with you that this system is useful when you wonder trade, and keeping hacked Pokémon away from competitions is a good idea. I discussed this earlier today with a coworker who is into online battling, and he was upset because that meant he couldn't use his Pokémon team from Gen... 4, I guess, in actual competitions. Then one discussion led to another, and we were left wondering about one thing: if a player has two legit transferred Pokémon from earlier Gens, without the pentagon, and makes them breed in a Gen 6 game, will their common offspring have the pentagon?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back