• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bosses that make you cringe (Not for the faint of heart.....or little kids.)

ZeganZoma

The one that went insane
Years
  • (Warning!!! Not for ages 12 and under, or for the faint of heart!! You have been warned.)

There have been bosses that were the definition of cool. There have been bosses that were a total letdown. What about the bosses that could give you nightmares for weeks? List some of the bosses that made you cringe in fear and why. (And please, for gods sake, DON'T POST A PICTURE! Thank you.) (also list the game it was from)

Pandora from Persona
    I'll be honest. This is one of the scariest things i have ever seen. It has many deformed hands/legs (really, i can't tell), its head is the shape of a butt with a mouth, and the last part.....I'm not going to say. Its too graphic. Then it gets weird. After you beat it, it turns into a butterfly.......Ok? Weird.....very weird indeed.

Inadequacy from Runescape
    This boss isn't scary on the outside, but what it symbolize. It is Inadequate incarnet. To those who don't know what inadequate means, it means not being adequate or sufficient. Or being inept or unsuitable. Everyone has faced this feeling before, but fighting its incarnation? Thats a whole different story.

So list some of yours.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This topic is open to anyone as long as there aren't any horrid pictures posted. :)

I remember the Lying Figure from Silent Hill 2 creeped me out; I beat it good! D:​

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • While some wouldn't categorize them as bosses so say, the Big Daddies from BioShock and Bioshock 2 gave me nightmares for weeks. It isn't so much as their appearance as it is their brute power and strength, as well as how they were made... Plus the endless groaning always got to me. Their angry roar though? Yeah... For those who play BioShock on the hardest setting, you know what I'm talking about. Scary stuff.

Now, for a real boss...Giygas from Mother and Mother 2 (a.k.a Earthbound). I'm not going to go into anything about him, except say that it (he?) is known as one of the creepiest bosses of all time. If you want to learn more about him, click here, here, and here. WARNING! Click at your own risk.

Last edited:

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Freaking Master Hand from Smash Bros. Sure, he's absolutely no big deal either, but back when I was like 8 and watched my older sibling get to that point of 1P mode, that giant floating had scared to the point of hiding the cartridge so Master Hand wouldn't come to get me.note

Otherwise, there aren't really noteworthy "scary" bosses from games I played recently.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I remember the Lying Figure from Silent Hill 2 creeped me out; I beat it good! D:​

What about the God from SH3 & Scarlet from Homecoming? These are really scary as well, especially Scarlet.

Also, all of the bosses from Painkiller. They are colossal, hit like a truck on steroids, & they look like monstrous demons. Seriously, if you had a look at even one of them, you'll most likely wet yourself. Trust me on this...

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Well, on terms of looks, I'd have to say the Meltigemini from Final Fantasy 9. My sister described it very appropriately but that description would be wildly inappropriate so instead I will leave you with this link to a picture(I wouldn't click it if I were you. Don't kill me. You have been warned.), and the picture of my reaction to it that I did on MSN...

Bosses that make you cringe (Not for the faint of heart.....or little kids.)

However, on terms of personality, I would have to say Albedo from Xenosaga... That man is a lunatic.... just the way he acts and talks to momo makes me shiver.... I will spoiler my description to keep me from getting slammed, even if it isn't THAT bad (until the videos.... those...? Just... yeah... give me a holler if this was too out of line).... Just lemme know if it is too out of line.... But again, ya got a warning.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Dullahan, from the Golden Sun series. Good God, he's tough. Several thousand HP, attacks 3 times per turn, regenerates 200 HP per turn, and has attacks capable of felling your entire party in one move. And the best part, he's a headless suit of armor.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I'm sorry, but I must say Giygas. Ever since i first battled him, i've not liked him. It still scares me today. D: I must seem a bit weak here xD

And as Live_wire said, dullahan!

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • The true form of the goddess Tyr in Breath of Fire, it's some sort of hideous snake thing with no eyes and like sharp clawed arms and it has like 5 tentacles with razor sharp teeth. It's also the same colour as crap so that didn't make it look any more pleasant. Word of advice if you ever play Breath of Fire, don't transform into Agni, just beat Tyr in her little girl form and enjoy the not as good ending.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • The true form of the goddess Tyr in Breath of Fire, it's some sort of hideous snake thing with no eyes and like sharp clawed arms and it has like 5 tentacles with razor sharp teeth. It's also the same colour as crap so that didn't make it look any more pleasant. Word of advice if you ever play Breath of Fire, don't transform into Agni, just beat Tyr in her little girl form and enjoy the not as good ending.

Just to avoid her looking at her true form? I finished it last week, and while she's definitely not easy on the eyes, it wasn't something I haven't seen before.

As for me, the first one that comes to mind is Mara. If your familiar with Megaten series than you should immediately recognize that name, lol. Rather not describe it, so if you're curious enough to look be my guest.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Three enemies from Ocarina of Time:

Dead Hand. That thing's dead pale skin with blood stains on it are creepy enough, but the worst is it's face! It has a very demonic looking smile with a mouth that stretches so long and never loses it's creepy smile as it tries to bite Link's head off.

ReDeads never stop making me **** myself. Their shrilly screams, their nudity and dead skin, but the worst is the way they wrap their legs around Link and do unspeakable things out of view!

The Morpha boss from the Water Temple. Tentacle monsters are always scary. The way it grabs Link and attempts to drag him down, God I can't image what it did to poor Ruto!

Last edited:

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • When i was little i played abe's oddessy and i was petrified of the scarabs and parmites

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Gotta go with Giygas from the mother series. He's pretty infamous for good reason after all.

Some from the LoZ series would probably qualify too but not playing much of that series as a kid wouldn't have helped me. But when I came across the redeads in OoT I could see why people were certainly creeped the heck out by them.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Can I include a level, but not a boss? Because the Ghost Ship level from Super Mario World freaked me out big time when I was 4. xD When I was that little, I used to get up at night, like, at 1 in the morning, and play Super Nintendo. I go to that level, and as I was in the last part, the power went out and I swore it was the ghosts from the level. xD

Other than that, yup, Giygas for me as well. xD Also...I can't think of any more. EXCEPT I think the Giant Spiny Urchin in Donkey Kong Country 3 freaked me out because I was afraid of getting stabbed by it, but that wasn't as bad as the ghost ship level. xD

Ice.

Ice.
    Years
  • The Morpha boss from the Water Temple. Tentacle monsters are always scary. The way it grabs Link and attempts to drag him down, God I can't image what it did to poor Ruto!

I've seen enough Hentai to know where that is going...

Anyways, not sure if you can classify him as a boss, but Luca Gurino from Mafia II weirded me out.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • This may not be considered a scary boss, but the big jack-in-the-box in Donkey Kong 64, that was scary as a kid. It didn't help that it was also quite a tough boss back in the day. But nowadays I don't think it's annoying and I love it. :D

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • The trio of Giacomo, Ayme and Folon, from Baten Kaitos, especially the first time around. I think that is the most difficult boss battle I have ever had the misfortune of suffering through...THREE TIMES. Twice back-to-back, as well. In terms of looks, Malpercio, from the same game. A giant rotting carcass that also happens to be a deity. Fantastic stuff. Emperor Geldoblame's final fat octopus thing form was pretty creepy as well...plus his first act was always to kill a part member.

Dark Anima from Final Fantasy X made me cringe in both senses, though. A sizeable amount of health, having to use Aim to score a hit (she's freakin' HUGE, since when are my characters all blind?!) and she looks absolutely terrifying...plus there is all the screaming. Since I refused to cheat by using Zanmato, that was one boss that is particularly memorable for me. I was scared to death of Anima before I fought her. Dark Anima, though, I was scared even after I fought her...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm not scared of spiders, but the first boss in Zelda: Ocarina of Time was enough to put me off the Zelda franchise for... pretty much forever up to this point. It was less the design itself than the creepiness from which the spiders would just fall down from the sky in the level leading up to it. I think Zelda enemies in general have a tendency to creep me out for some reason: the next game in the series I played was Phantom Hourglass, and I was creeped out by the enemy things in the first level of THAT game as well. It's a sign from the universe that Link and I aren't meant to be together, unfortunately.

Back