• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Braces

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    I had braces from when I was 10 till I was 14ish.

Teeth look great now though! Apparently..

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I had braces for a year. I didn't need them, but I thought it was for the best. Luckily, I did get them when I did otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get them free off the NHS. They weren't sore, they just ached. When I got them off I wore my retainer until I didn't have to see the orthadontist anymore, and was suppose to 6 months after, but after 2 week couldn't be bothered. I tried 2 weeks later but once I took them off, where I had not had them on for so long, it killed when I took them off, ached so much. I was supposed to stop wearing them at nights now. Oh well. My teether still look better than they did, it doesn't look like I have fangs anymore XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Luckily, I've never had braces nor will I need them, but I know a lot of people who have, including two of my best friends and my sister. My sister got hers off a couple years ago, and one of my friends had them in for five years. I couldn't imagine having braces in for that long. >;

Years
    Your avatar is awesome, Libra. MISTA SPPPPPAAAARRRKKKLLLE!!!

I wore braces for two years. Initially, my orthodontist wanted me to wear an herbst appliance for a year before I got them. At first, my herbst appliance locked my jaw and made it nearly impossible for me to talk and eat. My orthodontist made adjustments to my herbst appliance, but shortly after he did, it began to come apart at random. Eventually, he decided to have me stop wearing the herbst appliance and just give me my braces. A week after he made that decision, I got my braces.

Overall, I had no problem wearing braces. Sure, they occasionally made my teeth feel sore, but other than that, they were not bad. In fact, I think they looked cool.

Now, my teeth are perfectly straight. I still wear a retainer at night in order to keep them that way.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
    I had mine taken off just a week or two ago. It's so nice. My orthodontist has a terrible staff, so while my teeth are fine now, it was essentially a miserable experience after the first few months. The staff didn't care if they cut your mouth, or jabbed you with a wire or drill, and insulted you if you spoke up. They also were terrible at communicating -- and 'forgot' to mention things and didn't explain themselves well unless they were constantly badgered for information. Oh, and the whole "hey, we lied about when you get your braces off, so you can enjoy our monthly torture for another five months because we forgot to do something." :(

But that's over now! Retainers are a bit of a nuisence, but I'll only have them for so long. It's such a relief. Hurray for freedom!

Years
    Apparently I needed braces for a cross bite, but I really think it's just my jaw that's not straight. My teeth are fine enough, no need to put them through pain to move a millimeter. :D

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
    Years
    Mine are still on for another year, but unlike you, my Orthadontist and staff are really nice. I've never been cut once, and they always explain things to me. Oh well, atleast yours are off!

Neco-Arc Chaos

Haruhi Slayer
    Years
    At 1st I had a retainer in the 5th grade and then got braces when I moved on to middle school, kept said braces for about 3 years before having them taken off. In all honesty I didn't really see anypoint in all that oral modification, being my teeth are still in the same position as they were before...meaning braces didn't help nor did they hurt.

Now whether this is bad or good is anyone's guess.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Mine are still one for about a year or so.

They're okay a points, but my top teeth are so screwed up it's not even funny. ._. They had to do surgery for one of the teeth because it won't come down, and one of my other teeth may need an extraction because the root never fully grew, because the tooth grew horizontally. >_>

So... my teeth have been messed with a lot with chains and stuff, and they'll be messed with more until I get the braces off. .___.

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
    Years
    I've never had to wear braces nor do I need them.

I didn't eat much candy when I was little and I rarely eat any nowadays.

It seems kinda painful though. D:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
    Most people who need braces don't need them because they eat a lot of candy.
    In fact, that would just cause your teeth to rot and die as a worst case scenario so you may need fake teeth but not braces. Most people need braces because of their jaw which is either grown too much or not enough. Or even if your teeth just grow at funny angles or something.
    But yeah I had too much penicillin as a child (chronic tonsillitis) so I need them whitened but meh...
    I get to have sparkly teeth when I'm 18!

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    They are usually put on because of the fact teeth are out of place. Not because people eat a lot of candy. I eat tonnes of it and my teeth are straight

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    They hurt because the braces are doing their work to realign your teeth to a better position. So it's nothing to worry about :) My friend used to wear braces, and she hated them, but when she had them taken out her teeth were great and she was glad that her teeth were more normal. I guess you appreciate having them put in when you see the results :)

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I have braces, and am getting them off in January. I really didn't have that much of a problem with them; the only time they hurt was for a week or so right after I got them on. Back then they hurt like crazy. DX

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    I had braces from the 5th grade til January of my sophomore year (last year). Felt so good to get them off. Bout 6 years of pain and sores but it was well worth it. A word of advice: floss as much as you can, no matter how complicated it is. With all the brackets, it's so easy for plaque to build and cause cavities in the back of your mouth where the braces are attached. Trust me, I had the pleasure of getting 4 cavities filled after my braces were taken off.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    I've had braces for a while now. I've actually had them twice, thisbeing my second time. Mainly because I needed to get a herbst appliance, because my jaw needed to grow, or something like that. o.x

The braces used to cut up the inside of my mouth, but after a while you get used to them and the cuts go away. Right now I don't have any cuts, though maybe that is because I don't have the wire in my mouth right now? I just have the brackets. Yeah; I need to get four teeth pulled. Yipee. -__-;; But not cause of anything bad, it's just the fact that the doctor said I have "too many teeth for my mouth" because apparently my mouth is really small and can't hold as many as most normal people can. T.T;;; *dies*

-Neko

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I have braces currently. I just started wearing them like two months ago and they are already aligning my horribly, fugly teeth. :3 It is going to be taken off earlier then expected.

Midnight Beat

elit resu motsuc
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 17, 2023
    I had braces for a little while about three years ago. I just had a little overbite, and you couldn't even tell unless you were looking for it. Thankfully I only had then for about ten months, but it felt a lot longer. ;-;

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
    Well, spacers were put in yesterday.

PAIN.

Poor thing. Spacers are a miserable experience no matter how good the orthodontist is. Remember soft foods and ibuprofen! (Two keys to surviving braces, IMO.)

Yeah; I need to get four teeth pulled. Yipee. -__-;; But not cause of anything bad, it's just the fact that the doctor said I have "too many teeth for my mouth" because apparently my mouth is really small and can't hold as many as most normal people can. T.T;;; *dies*

If it makes you feel better -- I have a really tiny mouth, too. Counting wisdom teeth, I just never grew eleven of them, and I still have three baby teeth because there was no room for adult teeth to grow. ._O Think of it this way: Less brackets and less brushing to worry about!

Back