• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Brainstorming. What do you think?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Side note (because I totally didn't just skim the rest of the thread, and I don't particularly feel like spending too much energy in a debate right now):

I can't imagine Bill ever going on a trainer journey, and a lot of my characters are similar to him.

Actually, he did. (Electric Tales of Pikachu canon, at least.) He just didn't like battling but eventually fell in love with the mysteries of the Pokémon he was training, so he gave up his journey to become a researcher.

This is actually relevant to what I'm about to say otherwise. Pardon me if I've missed the point here.

I'm actually more inclined to agree with Silawen otherwise because, personally, I think that a lot of people have a difficult time understanding that the Pokémon world has a vastly different culture compared to the real world. Because of the above, I think that to them, a journey is just a rite of passage, sort of like Native American spiritual quests. You do it to figure out who you are and what you eventually want to do with your life by traveling around and experiencing much of the world as possible. This also explains why going through the educational system at this point seems to be voluntary -- because it's a way to encourage people to actually go get their license and learn via experience, not via books.

In other words, yes to the second part of the plot because, really, that might just be the entire point to a journey (for trainers, coordinators, watchers, and everyone else) in the first place. If you think about it, training, coordinating, et cetera isn't actually a practical occupation, and it seems rather weird to devote years of your life to a sport if you're not actually getting a steady paycheck out of it. So, I really do think it's only a stepping stone for most people to something more productive. (As for relevance to research... well, yeah. For a Pokémon researcher, I'd imagine that you sort of do need to take a look at the natural world to really get a handle for what it's about and to decide for yourself what kind of research you want to get into. It's, again, a spiritual journey and a way to teach kids how to handle Pokémon via experience. *motions to Bill as a great example of this*)

Yes, it's also voluntary. No one has to go on a journey of any kind, but it seems like it's encouraged to do so because of the idea that experience is a better teacher than a set of books. You could have your character start off in an academy, but that goes into the other argument that I agree with (that you don't seem to consider when you say only Silawen wasn't completely okay with the idea): Neo Pikachu's.

For the first part of your first post, I'll just have to second what Neo Pikachu said about how trite academy plots or trainers-who-started-from-an-academy plots tend to be. (Same thing with trainer-is-in-their-teens-but-is-just-now-getting-out-there-because-the-parental-units-wouldn't-let-them plots. This tends to be the reason behind why a good chunk of older new trainers started out when they were older instead of at the canonical ten.) If you're going to do it, you've really got to put in a lot of effort to make it make sense and make the plot feel fresh and new. Silawen actually hit on a pretty valid point: Pokémon is a huge part of that culture, so the basics are probably taught to you by the end of elementary school. Sure, there's such a thing as academies in canon (Pokémon Tech, for example), but it seems like the usual method of learning about Pokémon is just setting out on a trainer's journey and learning via experience.

Whatever you do, good luck with it, but you'll really have to sit down and think about it either way.

And don't worry about drama. Oddly enough, this isn't actually a flamewar.

Also, to the rest of you...

For heaven's sake, Silawen, give it a rest.

If this is part of your argument, you automatically lose in my book. I don't know what it is with you vets recently -- and there are a number of you who are doing this -- but when someone comes along and tries to defend their opinion, telling them to GTFO makes you look like a groupie. Let them talk because contrary to your beliefs, they might not be the only ones who have the same opinion. Alternatively, if you want them to stop talking, convince them that your point is more intelligent.

Last edited:

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years
    I wished you would, because it makes things so much easier when I know what you're replying to with what. Also, I'm quoting the things I'm replying to it and it doesn't seem to derail anything. In fact, I think it's easier to deal with when you know what someone is replying to. *shrug*

It's just that I'm personally really bad at keeping at the subject at hand. My train of thought is very easily derailed, and who knows where it goes from there. >_> I didn't mean to say you were derailing it, sorry.

Yes, there are reasons why someone would want to go to school. I've been saying that all along. The only thing is that those reasons need to make sense. When judging what the writer has said - that she wants to journey to all the known places in the world and wants to learn about, research and befriend pokémon - we can actually say that it doesn't make sense. I'm sorry, but it's not sensible for someone who who wants to do all those things to stay locked up in a school for over four years.

Actually, I have to admit that I did not notice the original poster mentioning that seeing the world and catching 'em all was the character's dream. I don't know how I managed to miss that, but anyway.

Yes, I admit you have a valid point there, especially in the light of the world's culture. However, I still think that it would make sense for people with a certain kind of personality. Not all people actually do the things they want to do, even when given the chance. Some people are very cowardly by nature, and even if they want to do something, they can't bring themselves to do it. Instead, they procrastinate. I actually find this concept rather interesting for a character personality. But, yes, this is a special case. You're absolutely right if the character has a personality that doesn't prevent her from leaving earlier. Still, since the original poster hasn't elaborated on this that much, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it as illogical. Or, well, that's my opinion, at least.

*sigh* Look, I don't feel like repeating myself too much. I have already said several times that I don't have problems with characters going to school. The only criteria is that it has to make sense for them to . I have been focusing on the reasons given by the writer, not all reasons ever. You don't have to convince me that you have found a reason for your character to stay in school.

Ah, you just said that you can only think of very few good reasons why someone would actually stay in school. Or, actually, you said this: "I have yet to come across a person who'd rather go to school than journey into the world with their own pokémon. Schools seem like a total waste to me." So maybe I've been misinterpreting what you say after that. Sorry.

Ehm, are you honestly going to tell me that we should ignore canon? It's a fundamental rule of fanfiction that you follow canon. If you don't like canon, then why are you writing fanfiction about this universe? Respect it, or at least label your story an AU if you're not going to follow it. I'm fine with that, but then at least own up to it.

No, I said you don't have to follow every detail, like how battles are obligatory in the games. I think you can fiddle around with the little details without having to label your fic an AU one. Just like how people combine parts of anime canon and game canon, essentially. That's fiddling with the details, too.

People who grow up in the pokémon world know about pokémon. Information about pokémon you encounter can be found in the pokédex and through actually encountering them. You won't learn anything in class that you can't find out through battling them or using your pokédex, while there are various things you won't learn in class that you will learn in real life. It sounds very pointless to me to learn about pokémon you might never encounter. Especially when you have a pokédex nearby.

Actually, if you go by game canon, the pokédex is there for you to record that information, because no-one knows it yet. Moreover, pokédex is something rare and wonderful that only a few people have in the games. So, yeah, maybe not in the anime canon, but in the game canon schools definitely do make sense. And, as I recall, every game does have a school of some sorts where kids of vague age go to.

Anyway, in anime canon, point is valid, in game canon, not so much.

Also, I agree with Jax's points about the culture being different, but still I think there are certain personality types that would postpone leaving regardless of what they're expected to do for various reasons. Money isn't a likely problem, given how things work in the canon(s), but social issues, hesitant and/or cowardly personalities, tendency to procrastinate on starting anything big, and generally having a very low self-esteem could very well stop someone from leaving around the age of ten and wait until later. Like, say, if someone believed they are absolute rubbish at battling, they would be more likely to hesitate before leaving on to get beaten up by the whole world.

Like I said, most of these are borderline personalities and kind of special cases as they are, but I still think they are relevant to this conversation and also this story - the point was to brainstorm, no? So, I'm offering valid explanations as to why this character is still in school.

Granted, like Jax and Neo Pikachu said, a fic that begins like that can give people a bad vibe, which will make convincing the reader base to take the fic seriously a bit harder. Still, it's something that can be done. It's up to the author at that point. So, Strawbearry PANDA, you should be warned that the whole academy thing can put off potential readers. If you really want to do it, however, you should go for it. Like everyone else has said, though, you have to really think it through before you do to get it to make sense.

I'm sorry if this conversation has upset you, but it's really not that bad. ^-^;

Another thing that caught my attention was that your character wants to catch 'em all and befriend them. That's a lot of friends, you know. It sounds a bit unlikely. Maybe she should focus on just a certain type, or something? Just throwing ideas. =)

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I remember an episode of Pokemon where rich kids would go to school and earn badges in school rather than training around. Depending their level, they would have the equivalent of x number of badges.

I don't see why there can't be a school for people whose parents don't want their kids going out in the dangerous, Pokemon world. I don't see why kids always want to go on a journey, too. Personally, I would have denied the journey if I were 10. I'd deny even now at 17; that's a scary thought, camping out, being all alone, with no parental supervision or guidance, in a big world filled with dangerous Pokemon and moves. Pidgey's Gust is a basic attack and it causes a tornado. I don't see why parents in Pokemon are so all right with their kids flying around on a giant dragon's back, battling with fire, electricity, and all of the elements. At 10, I was scared about going on the school bus and changing to a new school. Can you imagine being alone, camping, in a giant world with dangerous Pokemon? A 10-year-old shouldn't even be psychologically fit to take on such an adventure. They should be wetting themselves constantly, crying for mama and papa, and eventually get killed by a random Fire Blast. People are viewing Pokemon 10-year-olds like 30-year-olds, and they most certainly aren't lol

Really, now. Pokemon isn't just Age 10 = Pokemon = Journey for everyone. I'd have stayed in school at 10. The people who'd leave home at 10 are crazy.

I like the idea of your main character staying in school to become a type of researcher. Field trips and supervision for safety reasons seems a lot more logical then "YOU'RE 10! GTFO AND BATTLE SOME POKEMANZ!"

Just my opinion :<

Good luck!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Also, I agree with Jax's points about the culture being different, but still I think there are certain personality types that would postpone leaving regardless of what they're expected to do for various reasons.

True, hence the entire "this and that is voluntary, but one side is probably a bit more encouraged by society than the other" bit. You'd just have to really work on bringing out the personality of the character in question if you wanted to do this to make it clear that they had their reasons for deciding one or the other.

Another thing that caught my attention was that your character wants to catch 'em all and befriend them. That's a lot of friends, you know. It sounds a bit unlikely.

On the other hand, it's also pretty possible. Since Bill was brought up as an example earlier, we could go back to him and say that at least one of his goals as a researcher is to make friends with as many Pokémon as possible. A bit fluffy, but it's what he at least tries to do. Whether or not he actually succeeds is an entirely different story, of course, but it's perfectly okay to have that as a dream. Same thing with PANDA's character. Sure, it'd be unlikely for the OC to befriend at least one of every single Pokémon species out there, but she could have that goal and try to pull it off anyway. If she doesn't succeed, hey, it makes for an interesting ending, and by then, PANDA would've probably been able to establish a good reason why the OC didn't quite make it.

I remember an episode of Pokemon where rich kids would go to school and earn badges in school rather than training around.

"The School of Hard Knocks." Pokémon Tech, as I've mentioned before. Just so you know.

I don't see why there can't be a school for people whose parents don't want their kids going out in the dangerous, Pokemon world.

Canonically, there are. The thing is, though, that they're not particularly prevalent because it's usually encouraged for kids to go out and experience the Pokémon world first hand. It'd be like attempting to be an expert dog trainer just by reading about dogs. You might know the basics, but until you actually handle dogs, you probably won't be able to get them to do what you want as effectively as someone who's been around dogs for awhile. Same thing with Pokémon. You can probably learn about them, but handling them via experience is a completely different story.

Ash actually proved this in the course of the episode ("The School of Hard Knocks"). Giselle, Pokémon Tech's top student, might have been able to ace all her exams in school and battle her fellow students to the ground, but she just couldn't compete with a trainer who had been on the road for only a couple of months because she never learned how to handle Pokémon in the same way as Ash. She battled by the book, not through the kind of creativity Ash gained by actually competing in battles.

Pidgey's Gust is a basic attack and it causes a tornado. I don't see why parents in Pokemon are so all right with their kids flying around on a giant dragon's back, battling with fire, electricity, and all of the elements.

Also note that although Pokémon control elemental powers, it's not by the same kinds of physics as in the real world. A ten-year-old kid can live through taking a couple thousand volts of electricity launched by an electric mouse he just picked up ten seconds ago. (*motions to Ash in the first episode*) So, it's probably not actually seen as being as dangerous as attempting to take a couple thousand volts of electricity in the real world.

On top of that, Pokémon have lived side-by-side with humans for thousands of years, and they happen to be a huge part of that world. It's just seen as perfectly normal for a bird to control gusts of wind in the same way as it's perfectly normal, in the real world, for birds to perch in trees and relieve themselves on every person who passes beneath them.

Thirdly, it's usually assumed that Pokémon, like real world animals, aren't dangerous until you piss them off. This is why Pokémon don't usually attack kids who are traveling through the woods (and, in game canon, are usually very courteous to trainers and allow them to send out a Pokémon instead of just mauling them on the spot) and why Pokémon, despite possessing godly powers, don't just level every human settlement in existence.

In other words, it's not seen as dangerous because... it's actually not particularly dangerous in that world. If anything, having a bird attack with whirlwinds is actually pretty normal.

Granted, I'm not saying you can't have parents who are paranoid. After all, there are parents in the real world who do things like stick their children in plastic bubbles or, on a less extreme example, forbid them from having dogs because they're terrified the kids will get bitten or mauled. However, it should be noted that because Pokémon is such a huge part of that world, having parents who are that paranoid is probably not that common. Most parents canonically practically push their kids out the door at the age of ten because of what I brought up earlier: it's just a part of their culture to go out and explore.

A 10-year-old shouldn't even be psychologically fit to take on such an adventure. They should be wetting themselves constantly, crying for mama and papa, and eventually get killed by a random Fire Blast.

I'd hate to say this, but this is actually an assumption based on three things:

1. The culture of the Pokémon world is the same as the culture here. (It isn't.)
    2. Kids aren't capable of taking care of themselves. (They are.)
    3. Fourteen-year-olds are more mature and capable of taking care of themselves than ten-year-olds. (They aren't.)

I don't know about you, but at the age of ten, I could pretty much take care of myself in all ways except the fact that I couldn't earn money. I had basic cooking skills, I could solve problems on my own, and if I had to go without my parents for awhile, I could probably do it. (My parents weren't neglectful or anything. They just had to work a lot to support our family and, besides that, wanted us to learn how to be independent at a young age.)

On the flip side, saying that fourteen-year-olds (like this OC) are any better at taking care of themselves than ten-year-olds is probably a stretch, too. I knew fourteen-year-olds who didn't know how to cook rice, and I know a lot of twenty-year-olds who still don't. Whether or not you can take care of yourself isn't based on age. It's just based on how you were raised.

So, that's where the culture thing comes in. Like I said, it's encouraged for kids in the Pokémon world to go out and journey. Considering Ash and Misty didn't kill themselves before they met Brock, it's actually supported by canon that ten-year-olds probably can take care of themselves in that world. Most likely, the culture there, in light of the fact that they want kids to go out and experience the world (for whatever reason -- probably just tradition), pushes parents to teach their kids how to fend for themselves at a young age in the same way real-world cultures might push parents into encouraging their kids to go to school (or participate in other adulthood rites of passage).

In other words, it's actually pretty possible for a ten-year-old to learn how to fend for themselves. Again, I'm not saying PANDA has to do it. I'm just saying she should probably keep this idea in mind while trying to develop her character and that character's reasons for not going out into the world right away.

The OC can certainly bring this up -- the idea that she's young and doesn't want to face fire-breathing dragons and whatnot -- but I can't imagine her getting any other response from someone else in that world except a weird stare unless the other person was also paranoid. Not to mention she wants to befriend these fire-breathing dragons and tornado-wielding pigeons, so I don't think this is a stance PANDA would want her character to take to begin with.

Years
    Well I'm glad to hear everyone's input and I thank you all for it. I truly do. I can see now where all of you are coming from. Pardon me if I haven't replied, I only got three hours of sleep and was feeling really miserable and spaced out, I couldn't think of anything to say at the time. I suppose the reason things seem so thrown up in the air about my idea is because it's very fresh, an idea thrown out of my head at random, and to see people helping me to shape it, I do very much appreciate it. So thank you for that guys. :3

I suppose I wanted it so my OC's parents perhaps preferred her to stay home a bit longer, perhaps her father is a professor (not one as big as Oak/Ivy/Birch/Rowan etc.) and they just wanted her to get a firmer grasp on knowledge. I'll use a general example or two.

Say like you were new to Pokemon games and you got a team of Pokemon, all a different type, and you were battling against your rival, who seems to generally have different types of Pokemon. I'd rather learn the type match-ups ahead of time before battling, so that way I wouldn't, you know, throw a NORMAL type against a GHOST type.

And the OC, from what I've developed so far, she is somewhat shy and intelligent. She really does enjoy learning, so I suppose she wanted to stay in not only because her parents encouraged it, just maybe she's taking more advanced courses. I'll use another example. I'm not putting this in it but if you played Stadium 2 (I believe it was), the Academy's courses would get tougher as progression went on but you didn't HAVE to take the harder courses, they were there if you wanted them.

So I guess that being a good example in my opinion, the OC is taking the courses that are harder, but optional.

Now, like I said, I wouldn't have her staying in school the whole story. No, not at all. And I wouldn't do it day by day either, that'd be dragging it on. I think I want it not only so the character can learn, but also make friends, and get some Pokemon while at school (because I was thinking maybe the teacher could have them go on a sort of field trip somewhere. They'd get a Pokemon before that, perhaps a starter, and get friendly and acquainted with it, and then on the trip, use it in a battle to catch one or two).

I know the OC won't exactly catch and befriend them all, but at least after school, perhaps she goes about, finding new species and something happens in the story. Perhaps a conflict, and then she helps out or something.

What I'm really trying to think of is a solid plot. Not with the Academy, no, but why she sets out on an adventure. Not only to become friendly with Pokemon and catch them all, but what she really wants to do. If she's trying to become a professor, or what. What her biggest dream is... That is still something I haven't thought up completely. Listening to you guys giving your input has helped greatly, so tell me what you think so far and I'll try to flesh it out even more. <;D

Thanks again.

--PANDA

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    I suppose I wanted it so my OC's parents perhaps preferred her to stay home a bit longer, perhaps her father is a professor (not one as big as Oak/Ivy/Birch/Rowan etc.) and they just wanted her to get a firmer grasp on knowledge. I'll use a general example or two.

Say like you were new to Pokemon games and you got a team of Pokemon, all a different type, and you were battling against your rival, who seems to generally have different types of Pokemon. I'd rather learn the type match-ups ahead of time before battling, so that way I wouldn't, you know, throw a NORMAL type against a GHOST type.

Mmm, you'll want to know that this is actually pretty basic information. Granted, Ash doesn't seem to know about type matchups, but it's generally considered other characters to be one of those things that kids just know. (For example, Misty frequently asked Ash if he wanted her help to defeat Brock in "Showdown at Pewter City." This is because she knew that her Water-type Pokémon could kick Brock's Rock-types all over the place.) Considering you want your character to be the daughter of a professor, that makes it even more likely that she would've been taught about different types unless, for some reason, she happens to be the child of a Pokémon expert and decided to blow them off anyway. (Like Bill.)

Not only that, but since you're looking at a professor or two in the Pokémon world, most likely, they'll be pushing her out the door because most of the adults in that world seem to think that a trainer's journey is an extremely vital part of every child's upbringing. (It's most likely that "you learn more by experience than by books" idea that I've brought up.)

So, it'll take a bit more tweaking in the character department, I think. As a tip, a lot of people seem to try going at it from a government or parental angle. As in, the character is forced to stay at home because the laws are different or because the parents just don't think the character is ready/don't want the character to leave/whatever reason you've got. An-chan gave you a hint for an angle that isn't often taken in her last post. I'd say think about that for a bit if you can't come up with a way to get the parents to keep her at home.

What I'm really trying to think of is a solid plot. Not with the Academy, no, but why she sets out on an adventure. Not only to become friendly with Pokemon and catch them all, but what she really wants to do. If she's trying to become a professor, or what. What her biggest dream is... That is still something I haven't thought up completely. Listening to you guys giving your input has helped greatly, so tell me what you think so far and I'll try to flesh it out even more. <;D

Have you thought about maybe making this the plot? Granted, the other posters seemed to think it was a bit weak, but it's all about how you tackle the basic concept.

To be clear, this is what your question is: "I don't know what my character wants to do with her life." Now, this is actually a bit outside of the usual Pokémon OC. You usually have kids starting off on a journey sure of the idea that they want to be a trainer, coordinator, whatever. Your character has no idea or aim.

So, why not make her set out across the land, searching for exactly that? Have her encounter different kinds of people and travel around with different companions to get a good grasp on what the world offers. Heck, if you think she'd want to aim to be a researcher, have her meet a researcher and have them tell her what she needs to do in order to be like them. (Other than, of course, "go through college.")

Sure, your plot might feel a little aimless if it's just about self-discovery, but not every journey fic has to be about a kid going after the (insert number here) (insert badges/ribbons/whatever here) of a region and eventually (insert "saving the world"/"defeating Team Evil"/"competing in the most exciting tournament ever"/whatever here). You could add different things that could make it more coherent once you develop your main character a little more. I'm just saying that you might already have a reasonable skeleton of a plot as it is.

Years
    Mmm, you'll want to know that this is actually pretty basic information. Granted, Ash doesn't seem to know about type matchups, but it's generally considered other characters to be one of those things that kids just know. (For example, Misty frequently asked Ash if he wanted her help to defeat Brock in "Showdown at Pewter City." This is because she knew that her Water-type Pokémon could kick Brock's Rock-types all over the place.) Considering you want your character to be the daughter of a professor, that makes it even more likely that she would've been taught about different types unless, for some reason, she happens to be the child of a Pokémon expert and decided to blow them off anyway. (Like Bill.)

Not only that, but since you're looking at a professor or two in the Pokémon world, most likely, they'll be pushing her out the door because most of the adults in that world seem to think that a trainer's journey is an extremely vital part of every child's upbringing. (It's most likely that "you learn more by experience than by books" idea that I've brought up.)

So, it'll take a bit more tweaking in the character department, I think. As a tip, a lot of people seem to try going at it from a government or parental angle. As in, the character is forced to stay at home because the laws are different or because the parents just don't think the character is ready/don't want the character to leave/whatever reason you've got. An-chan gave you a hint for an angle that isn't often taken in her last post. I'd say think about that for a bit if you can't come up with a way to get the parents to keep her at home.

Have you thought about maybe making this the plot? Granted, the other posters seemed to think it was a bit weak, but it's all about how you tackle the basic concept.

To be clear, this is what your question is: "I don't know what my character wants to do with her life." Now, this is actually a bit outside of the usual Pokémon OC. You usually have kids starting off on a journey sure of the idea that they want to be a trainer, coordinator, whatever. Your character has no idea or aim.

So, why not make her set out across the land, searching for exactly that? Have her encounter different kinds of people and travel around with different companions to get a good grasp on what the world offers. Heck, if you think she'd want to aim to be a researcher, have her meet a researcher and have them tell her what she needs to do in order to be like them. (Other than, of course, "go through college.")

Sure, your plot might feel a little aimless if it's just about self-discovery, but not every journey fic has to be about a kid going after the (insert number here) (insert badges/ribbons/whatever here) of a region and eventually (insert "saving the world"/"defeating Team Evil"/"competing in the most exciting tournament ever"/whatever here). You could add different things that could make it more coherent once you develop your main character a little more. I'm just saying that you might already have a reasonable skeleton of a plot as it is.

Well I mean the types was just an example of something, perhaps to show that a slight bit more knowledge can maybe make for better tactics.

I do agree and that's actually a good way of looking at it, Maybe for now it's okay that she doesn't have a direction. I mean, normally (around here at least XD) kids in school don't really know what they want to do just yet. So I guess it'd be good. It kind of reminds me of Tracey. I didn't get the whole story behind him (because at the time I couldn't watch any of the anime anymore and up till now, I just didn't bother to pick back up on it), so correct me if I'm wrong but really it just seemed like he was a tag-along, until he found his place where he wanted to be.

Yeah, it's true, more of what I'm going for is that the parents don't really feel she is ready, for one because of her personality and they hope school and interaction will help open her up and make her a bit....stronger....I guess is an okay word. Also, they'd just prefer she stay home a bit more, perhaps she has a younger sibling she needs to take care of, and by the time she's out of school, the sibling will be old enough to be more on their own. Or perhaps just because her parents aren't ready to let her go just yet, and want to hold onto her a bit more. Perhaps both reasons.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    It kind of reminds me of Tracey. I didn't get the whole story behind him (because at the time I couldn't watch any of the anime anymore and up till now, I just didn't bother to pick back up on it), so correct me if I'm wrong but really it just seemed like he was a tag-along, until he found his place where he wanted to be.
    Even before that boy appeared on the screen, he knew what he was doing. He's a Pokemon Watcher, someone who travels around, observing Pokemon in their natural habitats and drawing pictures and collecting information on them that's published. He decided to follow Ash and Misty around because they knew Professor Oak, and he wanted to meet him.

Maybe that could be an angle you could use with your OC. Pokemon Watchers are fun to write about (I know, since Tracey's a main character of a fic of mine), and they don't follow the basic Pokemon OC starting trainer plot: get badges/save world/win tournament/be home by dinner.

Might be something to think about.

I'd say my piece on the cultural assimilation, but enough has been said on that before.

Back