• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BREAKING (sorta): Gay Marriage Legalized in New York

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • In case the thread title hasn't given it away, the fight for equal rights for all has finally taken a step in the right direction! Same-sex marriage has been legalised by the New York senate! Here is the article.

I can't stop smiling, The LGBT community has finally taken New York from the homophobes. I can only hope now that we have such a powerful place, the rest will begin to fall like Dominos. That was bad wording, but I suck at being articulate when I'm excited lol

Anyway guys, discuss! :D

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    New York hasn't been liberated from homophobes. There are plenty everywhere.

But it's still one miniscule step closer to removing stupid prejudices from our society. Good for them.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • It's days like today where I'm proud to say I'm from New York. It's one the few good things we've done right recently.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Today, New York. Eventually, the world.

but no really, this makes me really happy slfjdkk ;u;... I have so many people to tell, I honestly can't believe they don't know yet but still ksjfjfb yay ;uuuu;

Last edited:

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I was excited to hear this. Every day it seems the public opinion supports same-sex marriage a little more. It's only a matter of time before it becomes legal on the federal level.

I live in Utah, so there will probably be an amendment to the constitution prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation before the local government here legalizes gay marriage. Oh well.

Years
  • The more amazing thing for me is that Republicans controlled the state senate there so some of them had to be behind this. It was still a 33-29 vote so it's not like the overwhelming majority were behind this, but it's enough for now.

Oh, and the article says that in New York you don't have to be a resident to get married. That'll be nice for anyone who wants to take a trip. Maybe when those couples go back to their home states it'll help spur some more changes and challenges to the marriage bans in all those states.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    People finally getting rights they should've had in the first place?

Don't like.

Years
  • To be honest, I don't understand what the problems of them marrying in the first place, at least New York understands this.

I hope no one has their hopes high for this, how different is queer marriage any different from normal?

Years
  • The astounding/ground-breaking part about this is the amendment that went along with it, which granted churches the right to deny a gay couple to get married in their church. Albeit, this sounds bad, but..it's just a bullet to take when compared to the larger picture. This completely changes the whole ~religious~ aspect of the argument . . . albeit, close-minded people won't likely change their mind regardless.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • The astounding/ground-breaking part about this is the amendment that went along with it, which granted churches the right to deny a gay couple to get married in their church. Albeit, this sounds bad, but..it's just a bullet to take when compared to the larger picture. This completely changes the whole ~religious~ aspect of the argument . . . albeit, close-minded people won't likely change their mind regardless.

I actually think that's wonderful, not really a bullet at all. Churches, ridiculous though they are, have a right to not believe in homosexuality and not support it, so they shouldn't be forced to hold gay weddings if they wish to be so bigoted. What makes it wonderful is that it means that churches now have absolutely no reason - or no right, really - to voice their opposition to gay marriage. Everyone can be happy.

Personally, even if I were straight I wouldn't touch a church wedding with a ten-foot pole.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Wish I saw this coming earlier, I would've booked tickets to spend my summer there and join in on the parties.

Igiko said:
    Today, New York. Eventually, the world.
    And I shall finally be proud to be part of this generation.

Buttered Coat

I AM BUT A COAT.
    Years
  • I'm quite happy about this. Hopefully it'll mean other countries will follow! I wish they'd hurry up and legalize it in Australia. We can't call ourselves a free country is we're not free to love who we want.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • When i heard that they finally legalized same sex marriages in New York, I was thrilled because i was able to stop hearing about it all over the news, and it's really annoying since I am from New York. It's also good for some of my gay male friends, I'm proud for them.

:t354:TG

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

That, right there. Justice delayed is Justice denied, as Martin Luther King, jr. once said. However, any justice is preferable to none.

You should tell that the liberals here in California who insisted on waiting until 2012 to try and repeal Proposition 8. And it's still not sure if it will be on the ballot.

This is great news! I'd like to thank the every volunteer who worked so hard to make this a reality, and I'd like to thank the Republican-controlled New York Senate for passing the bill that legalized same-sex marriage.

What I'm wondering is, do you have to be a New York resident to get married there?

Years
  • You should tell that the liberals here in California who insisted on waiting until 2012 to try and repeal Proposition 8. And it's still not sure if it will be on the ballot.

This is great news! I'd like to thank the every volunteer who worked so hard to make this a reality, and I'd like to thank the Republican-controlled New York Senate for passing the bill that legalized same-sex marriage.

What I'm wondering is, do you have to be a New York resident to get married there?

You wouldn't have to rely on the Liberals to repeal it, if your Republican party hadn't passed it in the firstplace.

John McCain released a statement of support for the proposed constitutional amendment. Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich released a video in support. Both characterized the court ruling requiring recognition of same sex marriage as being against the will of the people.Other notable supporters include Republican State Senator Tom McClintock and 20 other Republican State Senators and Assembly members
    Also, blame can be directed at:

Roman Catholic Church

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America

Eastern Orthodox Church,

Evangelical Christians led by Jim Garlow and Miles McPherson,

American Family Association,

Focus on the Family

and the National Organization for Marriage.

Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church

Need I go on?

From what I saw initially, you don't have to be a New York Resident.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

You wouldn't have to rely on the Liberals to repeal it, if your Republican party hadn't passed it in the firstplace.

Also, blame can be directed at:

Roman Catholic Church

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America

Eastern Orthodox Church,

Evangelical Christians led by Jim Garlow and Miles McPherson,

American Family Association,

Focus on the Family

and the National Organization for Marriage.

Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church

Need I go on?

From what I saw initially, you don't have to be a New York Resident.

The GOP had 47 members in the Legislature at that time. 21 isn't even half of their delegation.

I'd also like to point out that 37% of the voters that day voted Republican, while 61%, and overwhelming majority, voted Democratic. That same day, Proposition 8 passed banning same-sex marriage.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_state_elections,_November_2008

Also, it is worth noting that racial minorities, a large Democratic voting base, voted in favor of Proposition 8. African-Americans voted in favor by a large 70% margin, that same group giving Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama (who opposes same-sex marriage) their vote by an over 90% margin.

Latinos and Asians also voted for Prop 8 by an over 50% margin.

Back