• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying the Games & Systems

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2013
    Hello, just joined this community b/c im not sure where else to go.

Im 16 years old and have enough money to buy the system and games, but I dont really want to ask my parents to buy it b/c they may feel im too old for this stuff. So i was going to buy an amex gift card to order them. Should I be doing this behind their back? And i'm not sure spending $213 just for a pokemon game is worth it ~_~

I know this may not be the right place to post this but i really need some decision making advice

Thanks!

__EDIT__ Maybe I should consider sharing the system with my brother to lower the cost of the system? Not really sure

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2013
    Someone Help me decide?

Hello, just joined this community b/c im not sure where else to go.

Im 16 years old and have enough money to buy the system and games, but I dont really want to ask my parents to buy it b/c they may feel im too old for this stuff. So i was going to buy an amex gift card to order them. Should I be doing this behind their back? And i'm not sure spending $213 just for a pokemon game is worth it

I know this may not be the right place to post this but i really need some decision making advice

Thanks!

__EDIT__ Maybe I should consider sharing the system with my brother to lower the cost of the system? Not really sure

Years
    i do not think that you need to feel embarrassed because you want a game other (does not matter who) may think not fit to your age. i'm 23 years old and planing to buy 3ds xl pokemon y and show it off to my 9, 7 and 14 years old cousins XD

if you think the price might be too much, then you can share it along with the device and game with your brother. i do not know how you do it where you live, but at your age i worked while going to school and so i always had money to buy whatever i want.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I'm 19 and my parents know that I still play Pokémon, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you enjoy playing it thats all that really matters tbh. Also you don't have to buy the console and the game right away, there's still two months before the release date and even then that's October, the next holiday is Christmas which is a perfect opportunity for you to get a 3DS along with one of the games. Either way I personally would tell them but it's entirely up to you what you do.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I may not be able to accurately resolve your problem, however, I can tell you that you've come to the right place.

If your brother agrees with you on sharing it, then your parents might agree. But I can tell you that spending a lot of money for the games and the system would be worth it, at least you can play them without losing heart for a couple of years (provided you don't use gameshark cheats and the like).

As for doing it behind their back... if they've let you do something like this before, then I'm sure they will comply.

Years
    23, and I'm a crusty old crab. Yes, I've been embarrassed at times - I was taunted during Years 7-9 for liking Pokémon… and then came senior high school and mostly everyone matured - so the closeted . Pokémon fans would start talking about it again.

Besides, it's not like most parents know what they should be letting their children buy anyway - if you're a kid playing COD at the age of 14 and being forced to fill a swear jar, what's wrong with Pokémon?

I basically agree with good old Sotomura here, I'm turning 21 in October and I often get mocked for playing Pokemon. You don't have to be forced to not play Pokemon in your 20's, you'd be surprised at how many older players there are on PC alone.

I'm 19 and my parents know that I still play Pokémon, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as you enjoy playing it thats all that really matters tbh. Also you don't have to buy the console and the game right away, there's still two months before the release date and even then that's October, the next holiday is Christmas which is a perfect opportunity for you to get a 3DS along with one of the games. Either way I personally would tell them but it's entirely up to you what you do.

Yeah, he's also right. I mean, I'm in my 20's yet people think I can't play a "childlish" game like Pokemon. I still love the franchise even more than when I was younger, and I plan on getting Pokemon X & Y around Christmas as well. At least I got my 3DS early, around a month before the games were even announced!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Welcome to PokéCommunity, Anthony!

I would not say 16 is too old to play pokémon games! Quite the contrary. When you are an older teenager, you can appreciate the games in other ways than younger people can, I'd like to believe. You might see strategy and the story in a different light than kids do.

I wouldn't go behind my parents back with something that involves a relatively hefty sum of money. But if it is your own money and you want to spend them on games, a pokémon game is a good investment. It lasts long. Like Hoenn says, I think you should refrain from cheating :p is all.

Sharing the system with your brother definitely sounds like a good idea!

Actually, I can draw a parallel to when I bought my first pokémon game. My parents had never let me and my brother buy other gaming systems than a computer. They just thought it was redundant. But at last, when we showed them that we had enough money together, they let us buy a Gameboy Advance and some games, a pokémon game included. I never regretted it, mostly because my brother didn't want to play as much as I did so it wasn't a bother to share it, haha. I don't know about your brother's interest, of course. But it should be worth it on that point :)

e3

Years
    I'm 19 and I still play Pokémon. I don't really care what people think. As long as I enjoy the games, who cares about others opinion.
    Unless you spend all of your time and money on them in which case, yeah I understand where your parents and coming from.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I am also 19 and still play and my parents could careless about the games I play. Sometimes they will even help me buy it or buy me a game every now and then.

If it is your money then should it matter? I don't know how your parents are, but if it is your money they shouldn't care. The point of making your own money, is so you can spend it on things you want and things you need.

Do you know for sure that your parents will think you are too old? Show them this site and they will understand that you are never too old to play. Also show them some of the older people who actually make blogs over pokemon on youtube and again they should understand.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Given this thread isn't very specific to X&Y (you don't mention it and the discussion can be taken to be about other Pokemon games too), I'll merge this thread with the one you made in Pokémon General. No need for two threads after all!

And yes, one isn't too old to play Pokemon. In fact, some places have this sort of effect going on. I can certainly vouch that it is the case where I go to uni.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2013
    Hey thank you Everyone for helping! I went out and bought the amazon giftcards and have the games on pre-order and have a used DS shipping in by next week. Im excited and cant wait!

Back