• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Caffeine, coffee, alcohol and chocolate = evil!

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    [delete please]

Are the things you get from these substances, really worth the cost?

vegetables, where is the deficiency? It is probably caffeine.

Last edited:

Tacogeddon

Pokemonidae
    Years
    Fizzy drinks like Coke, Fanta, Sprite

Caffeine, coffee, alcohol and chocolate = evil!

YES YOU! In front of the monitor!

Soda is my one "thing" I guess, I'm a bit allergic to chocolate, makes my throat itch, so that's no fun.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    Well of course, because caffiene is a legal drug. Plus, they have been found to be addictive.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2009
    Well, you can get dependant on caffeine, but its not evil or anything, just have it in moderation.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Why is it that anyone making a thread like this has to be... linguistically challenged.
    You redundantly mentioned both caffeine and coffee in the title and didn't finish your sentence about carbonated soft drinks.
    There are various chemicals not essential to life that we all consume on a daily basis.
    Try saying they're harmful to life, then start with some references.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    HOW DARE YOU INSULT CAFFEINE I'M GONNA FREAKING KILL YOU WITH MY LEVEL 1045 MAGIKARPZ!!! <end:godotscript.Overload>

Those things are only dangerous if abused. Drinking a cup of coffee every day can't kill you and 17 definitely wont e──...

Well... I guess it could, but I am special >:O

Unless you really abuse those substances beyond your limits, I don't agree they can do much harm.

However, I differ on Alcohol. That is very dangerous indeed, plus it smells like some dude farted mentos with lavender.

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    With all that's happening in the world you're most concerned about chocolate and caffeine...?
    My general response to your statements is: So what? Why are you so concerned if other people like to indulge in such luxuries? Especially chocolate. It's tasty and releases endorphins.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
    I honestly don't eat and drink that stuff for the caffeine...I do it because it tastes good. I don't even notice the effects of caffeine, and I'm certainly not addicted to it. It's a relatively harmless drug compared to some of the other stuff out there.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    The reason why Caffeine is legal is because the body can take massive amounts of it in without ill effect.

Yes, there are some slight ill effects from long-term and constant exposure to the stuff. It's mildly addictive, and much like any 'drug' it loses effectiveness over time, requiring more and more for the body to derive the same kick from it. Education about it is fine, it's covered in most health courses, which in most school systems is a mandatory class.

Second Coming of Jebus

pies be with you
    Years
    Eh, eat an apple instead of drinking coffee it works alot better and it's good for you too. However I don't think alcohol is evil. I'm very shy and quiet irl but at parties I'm alot more social if I'm slightly drunk by the end of the night I has new friends and have more of a fun time, otherwise I'd usually be quiet with my normal bunch of friends (AMG UNDERAGE DRINKING NOT GOOD BRAH).

Seems stupid to say it, but I can't help but be shy D: Just keep the drinking to a minimal I guess, only sometimes and it's all good. As for chocolate, meh I hate the stuff, too sweet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    Because I Always eat Chocolate and Drink Hot Chocolate , Tea , Coffee. I became a sorta Addicted to these Caffeinated Stuffs. Having a Headache in the morning is annoying....

Alcohol? I dont drink it...

To be Honest, Caffeine can just make you Dehydrated ( dunno how to spell it well ) which makes the body uses more of its water than usual. and can be Easily Cutted out. Drinking too much Non-Caffeinated Drinks ( Ex: Juice , Water ) can help you restore your body,s water that you have lost from drinking Caffeinated Drinks.

Last edited:

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    I thought a little bit of dark chocolate each day was supposed to be good for you. XD

And to answer the uh.. question; no, I don't feel bad when I eat it. The reason? Because it's chocolate! I'm definitely not addicted to it (lol) and don't rely on it to function normally evry day. I just really, really like the taste. :3

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Depending on the type of coffee and method of preparation, the caffeine content of a single serving can vary greatly. On average, a single cup of coffee (about 200 milliliters) or a single shot of espresso (about 30 mL) can be expected to contain the following amounts of caffeine:
    • Drip coffee: 115–175 mg
    • Espresso: 60 mg
    • Brewed/Pressed: 80–135 mg
    • Instant: 65–100 mg
    • Decaf, brewed: 3–4 mg
    • Decaf, instant: 2–3 mg
    An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication, colloquially "caffeine jitters".
    Taking instant (the most commonly drunk coffee) as our example, you'd need three cups in a row to just go twitchy.

The Lethal Dose of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass

This means that a light woman (54kg) would need 135 Espressos (the strongest coffee) in a short space of time to reach lethal dose. A heavy man (83kg) could need as much as 280 cups. :\ If you can even drink that much coffee in a short enough space of time, you're probably an abomination against nature. Or you don't mind scalding your mouth.

oh, and as a final kicker to really destroy your argument:

whether the overall effects of coffee are positive or negative is still disputed

All quotes from Wikipedia.

Last edited:

Years
    The fourth paragraph:

Caffeine has diuretic properties, at least when administered in sufficient doses to subjects who do not have a tolerance for it.[7] Regular users, however, develop a strong tolerance to this effect,[7] and studies have generally failed to support the common notion that ordinary consumption of caffeinated beverages contributes significantly to dehydration

So, coffe makes you wee more if you only drink it occasionally...yeah, that supports the idea that its evil >.<

Yeah, complete dependancy on caffeine is pathetic. But I normally drink two or three cups a day and I have no problem surviving without it. :\ In fact, you claim that "Caffeine, coffee, alcohol and chocolate = evil" is mostly unsubstantiated.

Bulletproof

This time baby I'll be...
    Years
    all in the title except coffee are the only things to eat/drink in my world, although j2o would be aswell :D.

seriously, what's so bad about it? loosen up, caffine gets me started and all hyper, and hyper is the BEST feeling in thw world because it makes you not care. also, it helps you not sleep, so it helps you stay up! lovely :)...

same for alcahol, I may be underage but it's great for nights with friends, or when you're feeling a little depressed and need a boost.

why everyone is so cautious about this, I don't know. just have and enjoy it. everyone is.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    I do drink alcohol, eat chocolate and drink coffee. I actually want my body to stop becoming tolerant of these chemicals

You do not even have to be a heavy drinker or consumer, only regular to develop tolerance and this annoys me.

I feel sorry for my nan who requires it to function properly. Is that not wrong, just a little?

In that position it would make me feel helpless.

Years
    I do drink alcohol, eat chocolate and drink coffee. I actually want my body to stop becoming tolerant of these chemicals

You do not even have to be a heavy drinker or consumer, only regular to develop tolerance and this annoys me.

I feel sorry for my nan who requires it to function properly. Is that not wrong, just a little?

In that position it would make me feel helpless.

I don't see why you wouldn't want to be tolerant. There's a difference between tolerance (being resistant to negative effects) and being dependant (requiring it to remain in a normal state of mind). As I said before, I don't agree with people who become completely dependant on any chemical, whether its heroine, nicotine or caffeine. However, when the chemical is harmless in small amounts and you find it enjoyable, I don't see any reason to class it as "evil".

Oh, and thanks for the neg rep. That was really mature.

Back