• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Castelia City as your home town? [ #32 ]

How would you feel if it was the home town?

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Would've you preferred if Castelia City was your 'home town'?

When the games were first announced, many speculated that Castelia would be the starting town (or home town), due to it being large, somewhat 3D and the only screenshot we really saw of a city. What's your take on this? Do you think the games would have been more interesting if Castelia was where you started your journey, and that Nuvema was only where the professor lived (or not)? If this were true, too, you'd probably have to change around the storyline a bit to make it work. Let's also consider the fact that all games have started off in a small town, so this would be a pretty big change. You could even consider that maybe Castelia is your home town and that you've travelled to Nuvema to start the journey, and that the order of events are switched around so that everyone makes you feel welcome and such in Castelia town.

...either way, share how you feel about this in general (if you'd prefer Castelia being your home town, or starting town) and also how you think the games could set up the storyline even with the location change. ^_____^
    Castelia City as your home town? [ #32 ]

If you have any ideas, let us know! We may not use them straight away, but we will eventually. :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I wouldn't care if Castelia was the starting town, but it's too big to start a journey in. Beginners could easily get lost trying to look for the lab.

Years
  • I can see that happening...

It would be just like New York! Your best friends mug and betray you, your bike is stolen, your Pokemon are stolen, all within the first 5 minutes.

Seriously: I would like that to happen, for 2 reasons.

1. You wouldn't be this kid from some backwater hicktown who is a freaking genius when it comes to battling.

2. You would be street smart.

Years
  • The first round of screenshots also contained one of Nuvema Town, and I thought it was head-poundingly obvious that that one was your hometown.

Castelia struck me as the Saffron City of the game, and I wouldn't prefer starting there.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I think its way 2 big to be a hometown. All the hometowns are towns not city's. If it was your home "city" there would be no pokecenter.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I think when franchises start to go downhill is when they start to mess with the formula. It starts with little things like this and then they get cocky and go bigger, then before you know it, Pokemon isn't Pokemon anymore.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • Firstly, it wouldn't be a hometown, it'd be a homecity.

Secondly, if it an't broke, don't fix it. The fact that we start of in one of the smallest places isn't a bad thing so why change it. Although the game would certainly be interesting if we started in Castelia City. I think it would be too big for new players to learn the game in as they would probably get lost and confused quickly. Though it might appeal more to the majority of children who live in cities.

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    I think it might be a good idea, but starting in a tiny town with your mother has always been part of the game experience

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I wasn't disappointed, but your hometown being a city would be pretty great. So much storyline potential, I can see the events happening already! :o

Except that I wouldn't go to that alley where someone 'flashes' at you. xD

DemonBlood93

Ace Trainer
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I don't like big cities, I love the countryside It's just more beautiful, I always try to get out the cities in the games as quick as I can, I like to explore the wilderness there's more to find.

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
  • no, just no. like others said, castilla is just too big for a begining trainer to start their journey from. true at least 80%(I made that figure up but you get my point) of the players around the world have been playing since gen 3, a few less since gen 1. but for the ones who bought black and white for their introduction to the pokemon world it would be too intimidating, they may just give up and trade it for another ds game title (cough*zelda*cough) and we wouldn't want that would we? it's tradition that the starting town is your house, you're rival's/friend's house and the pokemon lab, except sinnoh, maybe hoen, I don't know I was on hiatus during that generation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I like Nuvema town as the starter town...Castelia would feel odd for a pokemon game...plus what reason would one have to go to Nuvema if it wasn't the starter town?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Honestly, I would have been interested to start off in a different idea for the hometown. If the difference would have made much difference on the plot, then it would have been fun to see just what the difference would be starting in some place different than the small town we're used to.

On the other hand, though, it is tradition to start in the small town. Plus, it makes more sense for the professor to be there, since it's quieter and easier to study Pokemon in the natural habitats, if that's what the professor's studies focus on. But in B/W it didn't really make much difference what the starting town could have been, if one really thought about it.

I'm hoping that some day we'll see something different for the starting town. But until then, I'll just accept it as another Pokemon tradition.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
  • Well, for one thing I would love a completely urban starting point, or if nothing else a game was made in a way that allowed easy travel between the different places - I still dream of the potential that Raimon could've had with their subway. Man was I exited for a whole lot of nothing there, turning it into the BATTLE subway.. :<

My point is, I wouldn't mind starting off in that lonely town at all if it had some means of getting anywhere else fairly quickly. Unova took a bigger step in making it look more like a place where people don't have to worry about running into tall grass when they go to work, but for instance a subway between the towns would've been the best thing ever.
    Castelia City as your home town? [ #32 ]

just look at this, really! and think about it, why do a whole lot of people run out the gates of castelia north to nimbasa, only to discover that "lol roadblock" and apparently all of the people drowned in the quicksand or something? I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE WITH THE FACT THAT THEY ARE HAVING FUN TUBING, WHILE THE PLAYER IS FORCIBLY PROHIBITED FROM USING THIS FINE FEATURE.

really, I could do fine without castelia as a home town if something like that happened to nuvema (thanks for the friendly reminder earlier, you know who you are! :] ), but as it is now I'd die for a more accessible pokemon world - but then again I can see the arguments for the fact that unova would be confusing for younger people playing.. I don't really know I guess xD

also yes user "diz is b coot", i can type in lowercase all day long if i want to.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I rather a tiny town to start off in. Starting off in the biggest city in the history of Pokemon will be far too overwhelming, I was overwhelmed when I entered it and got lost a million times until I had pokearth up. It is just far, far too large to be a starting town, and it is always good to start off the journey in a tiny town easy to navigate through so that you can get your bearings of the game. HOWEVER for me it would have been cool to start off there even though it will be a bit overwhelming. I think it is an awesome city and it would have been a drastic change in a good way. I also think it would be a little more realistic to get your first pokemon in that massive city, not from some isolated town in the middle of a forest backed off by beach. I think it would have been more logical for the Professor to have her lab in the city father than in the middle of nowhere. So I voted I don't care because it wouldn't mind either town.

Laci

Scrafty Lover
    Years
  • If I were to have started off in the City I'm pretty sure I would have some street smarts as to the fact I live there. Pokemon center would be a bonus to have in the beginning but honestly where would I get my first pokemon? I mean it's like a maze in that place... seriously I could probably feel like a street rat traveling through sewer lines to get about without getting "thugged". Either way I'm glad you start off in a small place in order to get to bigger places that has more leading up to it and the fact the other towns are some what like villages and gives off a quaint feel.

Years
  • I hate to say this again, but really why do you keep saying 'Would've you...'? 'Would have you' is just not a logical order. It's 'Would you have'. 'Would've' would work if it wasn't a question. You can say 'I would've preferred' but it doesn't work like that the other way around.

Sorry if I'm being annoying and if I'm wrong please correct me, but I keep seeing this error in your threads and things like these just annoy me. ;-;

-- Anyway ontopic

It would be interesting for a change, to start in a biiiig city and in the centre of a region (although the latter could be questionable). I honestly never expected it to be the home town, and though it would be interesting I don't think I'd have preferred it over the traditional small towns.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I always hated starting in some small hick town out in the boondocks... reminds me WAY too much of where my parents live... boring and dull. Nature is overrated anyway. Urban development FTW!

I for one would welcome being able to call a big city like Castelia my home. You and your mom could rent a posh apartment in one of the skyscrapers, and the local professor could be an expert on Pokemon-human relationships, for which an urban setting would actually be better.

I hate the fact that there's no proper Center with a PC in your hometown. Starting in a large city would surely solve that problem.

Then again, the protagonists this time around (the girl especially) dress like they belong in the country, so...

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • Quite an interesting theory really...I think it would be very fun if Game Freak broke the tradition of us being hill billies living like 60 miles from the nearest town (By my reasoning, that would be about the distance if it were to be in real life). I think it would be really awesome were we to start out in Castelia, since its so...big, and the bridges are wonderful! Though it would be amusing, it would also be confusing, seeing as Castelia is...Sort of in the middle? Not quite, but close to the middle, therefor we would have to go in either direction to start our journey, and we would eventually end up back at the starting point..

I know! It could be where you start off in Castelia, and the Pokemon League is actually one of the uber tall buildings, therefor Victory Road would be to go through several floors of trainers and Pokemon, eventually reaching the "tower" where there are 5 floors, each one with an Elite Four member, respectively, and the Champion at the top! That means, if you start from Castelia, you would eventually double back and reach Castelia after you beat the game, and then you would go through the tower. Of course, you would have to rework the part with N, Ghetsis, and that huge castle, though it would be simple to just create an island and then have you take a boat from Castelia to the island.

The Pokemon professor would live next to you in your apartment, and you would be all friendly with them XD. As for your first Pokemon, the desert isnt too far away XD. The first gym elader would of course be switched a bit, but maybe Burgh could keep his rightful place in Castelia. So if you were to choose Pignite, it would be a cakewalk, on the other hand if you chose Oshawott, uber difficult, and Snivy would be so-so. But as I said, theres the desert not too far away with a fire type pokemon, so alls well :D.

Back