• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen catching legendaries

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    hey I started oras and am at sootopolis
    Any tips to catch legendaries cuz I have had pretty bad time in earlier Games

Last edited by a moderator:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Hi there. What trouble were you having with catching them in earlier games? If you could get a bit more specific about what kind trouble you're having or what kinds of tips you're looking for exactly, we'll be able to help you better :)

Also, if you're looking for friend codes, please make use of the 6th gen friend code sharing thread. You can also put your friend code in your signature or your profile field--that way people will be able to see it in all your posts ;)

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2017
    Here's a tip: Save your master ball for Deoxys. That's the rarest one that most people want. Rayquaza is essential to the game, so it's pretty easy to catch. For groudon, put it to sleep, use false swipe to get its HP down to 1, and then try to catch it with an ultra ball or a dusk ball. For the others, just do the same thing as you did for groudon. It's much easier. Hope this helps!

Years
  • I used my Master Ball on Deoxys. Most of my other legendary captures had me using paralysis (or sleep) and then knocking them down with False Swipe. I did that tactic so far with catching Zekrom, Thundurus and Cresselia.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    first off, DON"T catch Deoxys your first time around! KO it, challenge the Elite 4 again and then you can fight it again. Use this in order to get the nature you want for it, rather than using the Master Ball and just being stuck with whatever random nature you get.

2) get/catch/breed a bunch of Ralts with the Synchronize Ability. Put them at the head of your party when you are going to fight the legendary you want. It doesn't matter if they're not levelled up and get KOed, their purpose is that whatever nature they have is the nature the legendary you are going to fight will have 50% of the time. This applies to all legendaries you can fight in game with the exception of the first time you encounter a Lati@s during story mode, THAT Lati has a 100% chance of having the nature of your lead Synchronize pokemon.

3) Every legendary pokemon has a guaranteed 3 perfect stats. Save as close to the actual encounter as possible (so if it is standing on the map screen, save right in front of them, for example) put the Synchronize Pokemon at the head of your party, save, then start the battle. Catch the pokemon, run it's stats through an online IV calculator (like at Serebii) to see what stats it has that are perfect (or take it to the battle resort to get the IV checker to tell you) and when you get the stats and nature you want, then continue on. If you don't, simply soft reset and try again.

4) the best Capture pokemon I have seen is Gallade. It takes little breeding, but make sure it has Hypnosis, Skill Swap (VERY handy when trying to find hidden ability pokemon in hordes) False Swipe and Shadow Sneak (for ghost types since they are imune to False Swipe) There are other capture pokemon, however, Gallade can mega evolve in ORAS which is VERY handy when trying to capture legendaries.

5) be patient. Some get caught immediately, others can be very frustrating. Just stock up on Pokeballs and settle in.

That's all the advice I can think of.

ptisnjunk95

Made in Portugal
    Years
  • A tip for catching Pokémon: Instead of wasting money on Greatballs or Ultras, use just the Pokéballs... Buy only 10 at a time to win Premier Balls. It's harder to catch but you have more chances to catch. Also, have paralisys/sleep moves in your Pokémons. It will slightly help in the catch. If the pokémon uses too many attacks with self damage watch out the HP you take.

I have to addmit that I dont't play for almost a year but I remember that I caught my Deoxys with a Luxury Ball (same chances as a Pokéball, slights happiness, it's more beautiful and it's 5x more expensive), like all the legendaries I caught.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I made the big mistake of using the Master Ball on Groudon in Omega Ruby. You definitely want to save that for Deoxys, like most everyone said. Really high level + ability to recover makes it very difficult to catch. You could just KO it on the first go and wait to catch it later so that you can get the ability and IVs you want. But really, if you're not worried about that, then it should be okay to just go ahead and catch it during the Delta Episode.

4) the best Capture pokemon I have seen is Gallade. It takes little breeding, but make sure it has Hypnosis, Skill Swap (VERY handy when trying to find hidden ability pokemon in hordes) False Swipe and Shadow Sneak (for ghost types since they are imune to False Swipe) There are other capture pokemon, however, Gallade can mega evolve in ORAS which is VERY handy when trying to capture legendaries.

Yes! Gallade is a great Pokemon to have when you're catching Pokemon (and it's practically essential for roaming Pokemon, which luckily there's none in OR/AS). If you can get one up to level 100 then you'll have a much easier time catching legendaries in this game--except maybe Giratina, since it's a Ghost-type. You could go for Shadow Sneak, like Howmander mentioned, but you may risk KOing it if you're at level 100, so be careful in that regard.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I struggled with trying to capture Kyogre but still managed to catch it with an Ultra Ball. I used my Master Ball for Deoxys because it was the only ball I had left in my bag. The Ultra Balls I had were used for Kyogre and Rayquaza.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Save the game before battling it.
    Lower the Pokemon's HP to red.
    Give it a status condition, it's better to put it to Sleep.
    Chuch Pokeballs that suit the Pokemon.
    Timer Balls works the best if you take at least 40 turns.
    Maybe wait till night time, then try and use dusk balls.

oshimas

소중한 이 내 맘 모두 나 그대에게
    Years
  • I usually save my games before battling. As far as my battle tactics for these little ones go, I tend to go use a move that can inflict a status condition, and bring down it's HP to 1. With the recommendation of others, leave your Master Ball for Deoxys. Deoxys is one of the harder ones to catch and with it's ability to recover makes the battle linger on. With the other legendaries I've gotten pretty lucky with Dive Balls(Kyogre), and Ultra Balls (the rest of the legendaries I've caught)

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Always save before trying to catch it, if you accidentally kill it, run away, or run out of pokeballs just reset and try again.
    Save your master ball for Deoxys, I did.

Back