• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cats or Dogs?

Do you prefer Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Dogs

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I like both species equally as much!

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Hippos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
  • Yep, the age old question. Which do you prefer as a domesticated pet? Cats or Dogs?

On one side you have cats. Independent and cool, but fluffy nonetheless. They're very clean, rarely smell (providing they excrete outside) and extremely fun to stroke (which also works as a great stress reliever).

On the other side you have dogs. Extremely excitable animals that never fail to show their love and affection for you. They're also incredibly fond of the outdoors, and playing fetch in the park is extremely fun. However, they're high maintenance animals that require a lot more attention and looking after than cats do.

I personally am a dog person. I much prefer animals that are highly sociable. Not to say that some cats aren't, but many pet cats I've encountered are extremely antisocial and run off if you try to stroke them or just plain ignore you if you call them over. I have met some awesome cats that jump up on you and demand to be stroked, though.

So yeah, I like cats, but dogs are better. What's PC's opinion?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Kanto_Johto said:
    extremely fun to stroke (which also works as a great stress reliever).

I laughed at this for three full minutes before I was able to continue reading lol.

Personally I'm a cat person. I was raised to be a cat person, we've always had cats. I love dogs too though, we always get along great. The way I see it is I have a degree in household pets but I major in cats :P

The reasons I prefer cats just a bit more are the reasons you've said - they're low maintenance, rarely smell and they're the epitome of indifference, which I love. They can be cuddly sometimes which is cool, but they also leave you alone.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Cats are bros. They'll hunt and kill all the small pests you may have dwelling in and around your home and then they'll be all cuddly and cute and awesome.

I like dogs too, but they can be loud and annoying.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I like cats that are friendly, and dogs that are mellow. I think that's the best way to put it. I can't handle dogs that need to be walked every day, jump around a ton, bark all the time, etc. But at the same time I don't like cats that run away from you or scratch you.

I was raised mostly with cats but I've had dogs as well and I would be happy with a dog or a cat as a pet.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    As a kid, I used to switch between which I like more, but nowadays, I love both equally as much. :)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like both animals, but I like dogs more because they're loyal and they don't scratch (or bite) as much.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • OMG I love cats more than anything I just love it when mine comes in late at night and cuddles next to me Awwww Yeah cats rule :D

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    dogs bcuz my couison has one, they're loyal and are friendly imo
    cats are cute but i don't know anyone who has a cat so........i prefer dogs :P :P

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Cats! omg, definitely. They're smaller and cuddly, and don't require a lot of maintenance plus they're more independent and leave you alone sometimes which is nice. They're also adorable and... cats.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This thread makes me want to cry. Look what you've done PC, you've driven me to tears through your cat love.

But yeah, dogs are the best because they're adorable, and care and everything! n______n WHEN MY NOW DEAD DOG RAN TOO FAST AND I FELL OVER AS A KID HE CAME BACK AND FELT BAD AND LICKED ME and you can't do that with cats, nope not ever! Mainly because cats are weak and cannot support a human holding onto them with a leash and they think they're so good that they can walk the streets at night? Come on, even humans don't! Well, most don't. Those who do have houses stay at home or go out into places, whereas cats just walk the streets, up and down, with no point, hanging out inside ceilings, fighting with other cats and screeching keeping you up at 2am. Plus cats just want you for affection, dogs want you for the good and bad - when it gets tough, CATS RUN AWAY. Plus cats eat birds. The wild birds around here? NOPE ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SCARED BECAUSE OF CATS. AND YOU CONSIDER MY BIRDS IN THE AVERY THAT DON'T HURT ANYONE AND ARE HARMLESS? THEIR HEARTS BEAT SO DAMN FAST WHEN THEY COME ACROSS A CAT I'M SURPRISED THEY DON'T HAVE A HEART ATTACK. If that ever happens, do not fear, I'll be the first one writing a letter to Julia Gillard to send all cats off to a remote island so birds can leave in peace and repopulate the world as they please. Dogs, however, leave them in peace, they chase after them but they're no actual threat because there's no point in eating them. Also, go to a park. Any park. See a man throwing a ball to his animal? Oh, guess what, it's a dog? Oh how logical! BUT A CAT? LOL NEVER. If I saw a cat catching a ball thrown from their owner in the local park I'd be kinda concerned for the cat tbh. Dogs are active and there for you through your whole life and become your best friends. Plus their paws are freaking adorable. And dogs are just amazing and in most movies cats are the villains while dogs aren't. This is totally a fact. Dogs should rule the world and I would obey a world ruled by dogs.

So if it wasn't obvious, I picked hippo. :)

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    It would have to be cats for me. I used to have a cat before it disappeared, but it was always there for me, through good and bad. Dogs, (because I currently own a dog) can be loyal sometimes, but mine isn't and just lazes about all the time. She was never there when I had problems, unlike the cat I used to have.

If it were on the streets, a random cat will either come towards you or run away from you, depending on what it thinks of you. But dogs, will either want to be pampered or worse still, bite you. So, another point goes to the cat for non-aggressiveness. I have never had a cat bite me yet.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
    Years
    • Age 26
    • TN
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I hate to add another vote for cats, but I love them so. Why? Well, other than being adorable, they're usually much more quiet and self-sufficient. That isn't to say that I don't love my dog, but I prefer her above most dogs because she's very peaceful.

But I like hippos too. c:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • It would have to be cats for me. I used to have a cat before it disappeared, but it was always there for me, through good and bad. Dogs, (because I currently own a dog) can be loyal sometimes, but mine isn't and just lazes about all the time. She was never there when I had problems, unlike the cat I used to have.

If it were on the streets, a random cat will either come towards you or run away from you, depending on what it thinks of you. But dogs, will either want to be pampered or worse still, bite you. So, another point goes to the cat for non-aggressiveness. I have never had a cat bite me yet.
    Your cat sounds very dog like and your dog sounds very cat like, haha. It's like they've switched stereotypes.

My friend's cat bit me once. Apparently it was scared because there were too many people in the room. I'd already been stroking it for like 5 minutes, and it just randomly turned round and bit me. Not hard, but nonetheless, it was a bit of a surprise. But if that were a dog, it'd be so happy to see everyone it would be jumping all over them.

To be fair though, I have actually had a cat jump up on me before. I was walking back from the corner shop near my house and it meowed and came over to me rubbing its head on my leg. Then it jumped up and tried to grab onto me with its claws. It was cute.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Cats. I have a phobia for dogs since I was terrorized by one when I was around 7. I mean, now I can walk by a dog and not run away screaming like a little girl, but that wasn't the case a couple of years ago.

Cats are so cute, and they're so calm. Especially kittens!

Years
  • I'm a dog person. I've always preferred dogs, they seem playful and generally happy. I had a cat when I was little and the miserable little git never did anything. My dog however is one of the happiest things you'll ever see despite his horrible past. He's always happy too see me, hell he always seems happy to see anyone. With dogs they all seem to have a personality, all cats just seem like *** holes who want feeding and pee everywhere tbh.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME CHOOSE D: HOW. DARE. YOU.

I love both n_n I had a dog growing up and we just got a new puppy a little over a year ago so I've only had dogs. However, all my friends and my aunts have cats so I'm used to playing with them as well. BOTH ARE CUTE.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Cats. Dogs are my least favorite pets.
    Your cat sounds very dog like and your dog sounds very cat like, haha. It's like they've switched stereotypes.
    I don't get this. Where did the "cats are too lazy and dogs are too hyper" thing came from? It is not true, and if anything it depends on the breed. Some breeds of cats are playful, energetic, aggressive, loyal or loud and some breeds of dogs are elegant, calm, passive and polite.
    It's not so much the behavior is the difference between the two animals, as there are cats who are like "dogs", and vice versa. It's more like their activity and their nature as a particular species. You don't call a boy a girl if he's weak and cowardly.

Back