• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Censoring yourself in front of friends

Years
    Pretty much all of my friends curse in some form, so of course I do as well. However, if I ever do censor myself around them, it's to convey some sort of humor or just make a point.

macspec

easy easy
    Years
    Both my friends and family are fairly like-minded so I never worry about what I say around them. I obviously watch what I say around certain acquaintances at work though.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
    I'm a passionate guy; this I'll admit this right now. I wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm very emotional. It comes from my ADHD, my parents, and a lifetime of putting up with people pushing my buttons. So I admit, I swear a lot around my friends, family, and even coworkers when we're in the office; swearing's my catharsis against the inanity, the stupidity, and the repetition of my day to day life. If I didn't swear at least once or twice in my sentences, I swear I'd go crazy.

That's not to say I don't show restraint or patience. I know well enough to stay professional when I'm around clients or out in public, and I watch my language around my dear grandmother, because she's the reason I try to be a good person and all. Oh, and I especially watch my language around what I think are relatively family-friendly websites like this forum. Wouldn't want to offend a kid.

Years
    I have. If I know I'll be around someone that doesn't like cursing and whatnot, I'll try my best not to do so. It usually works out :P or at least I don't recall accidentally bursting out with curses in front of those people.

Years
    I don't so much censor myself around friends, rather I'm just not as explosive around certain people. I usually don't cuss unless I'm really angry though.

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
    I don't really swear all to often anyhow. Particularly irl.
    I can usually tell if someone would be comfortable with it, just by talking to them, so generally it's not a problem.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm not much of a swearer to begin with. And if anything, I'm probably more inclined to let loose around such people anyway

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't often find this to be an issue as I don't often swear in front of polite company. But given how many problems I have, I'd definitely be understanding should it ever come up. :P

Joking aside, I'd be polite about it and censor. You can't fault someone for being uncomfortable hearing/seeing/doing certain things, and it's just rude and immature to deliberately do those things around them.

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
    nope.

my friends are pretty open/comfortable around everything. im not saying we go around swearing out heads off (we swear a bit, but not a lot), so it's not really something we bother to censor.

for me at least, i know to censor myself when around their family obv, and also if they are with friends who i dont know, i'll tend to censor myself since i dont want to upset them

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
    Since my friends are not English-speakers, I never had to censor myself. :v

I do use swear words around my siblings though. Don't worry, I never use it during a raging fit. They don't come out often anyway. :v

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    If anyone asks for me to stop cussing in front of them, then I'll stop or if I'm trying to keep things formal. But that doesn't happen too often.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    I swear quite a bit around my fiends since we're all used to it and do it because there's no use of acting like they don't exist. I do have a group of friends however who call anybody who swears 'weird' so I refrain from swearing around. I use words like s*** around my parents but don't go full on dropping F-bombs.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Um, absolutely not. lol. None of my friends are uncomfortable with swearing and I am way too candid to consciously stop myself.

Years
    I don't really censor myself. Me and my friends talk about pretty much anything. Awful and nasty stuff, no problem. Well sometimes I surprise them by just starting to swear out of nowhere. But when I'm with my parents I try to be civil. While I'm playing games I like to swear. My mom doesn't hear me and yet I say a silent sorry just in case.

Back