• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Changes Pokémon OR/AS May Bring to GameDev

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
  • Video:
    Spoiler:

So with the Hoenn remakes, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, confirmed we must consider the new features it may bring with it.

Since every game so far has had a new feature with it, no matter how small, we can expect that GF will bring a new feature in (or possibly bring one back, however unlikely) a new feature which may be of some use to Essentials if enough people want it.

There is then the question of what is on the cover. Currently the images we've been given, the box art, suggest that Groudon and Kyogre are getting new formes/mega evolutions. If it's a new form adding it will be easy, if it's a Mega Evo it will add to the mega evolution script add-on thingymajig that I've heard about.

This may be the only stuff I can think of at the moment but I'm sure there are possibilities worth considering for gamedev when more info on these is given.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Honestly? I'm not foreseeing much; especially when all we have to go on is a 32-second video with the box art and nothing else. Maybe when more info is around, it'll be a better time to speculate.

Reactions: FL

Zodiac.

Flannary Returns!
    Years
  • Honestly? I'm not foreseeing much; especially when all we have to go on is a 32-second video with the box art and nothing else. Maybe when more info is around, it'll be a better time to speculate.

We can speculate a lot from a 32 second video because we don't know much. E.g we can't speculate that there will be hoenn remakes anymore because we know that there will be a hoenn remake.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years

We can speculate on what the note about 2D actually means. Does it mean that the 3D functionality on the 3DS will only work in some situations? Or does it mean the visual style is changing once again?

I am curious what these new games will mean for GD here, but honestly since they are remakes I don't think they will really be impacting much around here.

Rayquaza.

Years
  • We can speculate on what the note about 2D actually means. Does it mean that the 3D functionality on the 3DS will only work in some situations? Or does it mean the visual style is changing once again?

I am curious what these new games will mean for GD here, but honestly since they are remakes I don't think they will really be impacting much around here.

It says at the bottom of the video that it will be mostly 2D but some areas will be in 3D like cutscenes and special stuff. I like that to be honest because the 3D hurts my eyes too much if I use it too much.

Back to the GameDev stuff I'm sure it will bring something that we need/want for essentials around here. We don't know but we can speculate and wait for news from CoroCoro and Serebii.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Game Freak always release new games and they always have new features. Maybe this game have less features than BW2 or things that developers rarely implement like Join Avenue. And:

Honestly? I'm not foreseeing much; especially when all we have to go on is a 32-second video with the box art and nothing else. Maybe when more info is around, it'll be a better time to speculate.

Rayquaza.

Years
  • Game Freak always release new games and they always have new features. Maybe this game have less features than BW2 or things that developers rarely implement like Join Avenue. And:

Just what Zodiac. said and I totally agree with:

We can speculate a lot from a 32 second video because we don't know much. E.g we can't speculate that there will be hoenn remakes anymore because we know that there will be a hoenn remake.

We can only speculate, feature-wise, at this point because we have nothing to go on other that a half-minute video.

The speculation occurs before the information is given, meaning that we won't be speculating after we get more info on the games because we know what features people might want to integrate from the new games into essentials.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    We can speculate on what the note about 2D actually means. Does it mean that the 3D functionality on the 3DS will only work in some situations? Or does it mean the visual style is changing once again?

XY doesn't enable 3D in most overworld sequences and when large groups of Pokemon are battling. It's probably the exact same deal to keep the frame rate steady.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • Shame they couldn't optimise their engine for 3D all the time. I don't understand what's the problem considering the game isn't a graphical powerhouse.

We should see a decent amount of new features. Im curious about how much the secret base functionaly will be expanded.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Please bear in mind that there's a place for general speculation on what ORAS will have, and that place is not here. This thread should be kept to discussing how they may affect game devving, which honestly we can't do until we actually know something about the games.

Back