• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Characters

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • The characters we get to know through gaming can be pretty amazing. Or annoying. However you see them. :') So who are your favorite video game characters? Do you like them because of their personality? Ideals? Looks? ;) And who are your least favorites?

I'll make another post about mine later on cause I have a lot. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I play a lot of fighting games and platformers so getting to know their personalities isn't really much of a thing.

I like Lucina from Awakening because she reminds me of Future Trunks from Dragon Ball. The whole shitty future and becoming strong because of it.

I like Guy from Final Fight/Street Fighter (my current theme) because he's a ninja wearing Nike. Yes, soak in all the badassery.

I like Luigi because he's an underdog and he's hilarious.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • my favorite characters are the following;

Nathan Drake(uncharted)- love the game and he is cute
    Agnes(bravely default)- she's so cute and i love how she is shy
    Chun Li(street fighter)-Umm..i grew up with her! i have to love her!
    Toad(mario)-he's adorable.
    Annie(LoL)- i like how she's cute and i was able to get her in the game right away. i really like her as a character
    Jinx(LoL)- i LOVE using her in the game. i love how she talks, her quotes, and all the moves. She's cool since she is much more powerful and annie is mid lane.
    Ceri(witcher)-I don't really know much about her, but her personality is wonderful.
    Geralt(witcher)-Same as ceri, love the personality.
    Cassie Cage(mortal kombat x)- I really enjoyed learning about her and how she is the daughter of sonya and johnny. Her personality is great and she is tough!

i think that's all i can think of for now.

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Character development is a huge factor in why I play games, as I play them mostly for the stories. I love when the character appears shallow at the beginning of the game, but their backstory fleshes out as the narrative progresses.

Geralt from the Witcher series was a very memorable character. I hated him at first because he seemed pretentious and generic, just talking in this gruff and serious tone of voice all the time like a fantasy-world Batman. But when other characters started making fun of his demeanour (and he began spouting some fire af one-liners), I realized he was almost a parody of all those character archetypes and I fell in love with him.

Mr. Saturn from EarthBound also comes to mind, although I could pick any character from the EB series because they're all quirky and great. The funny thing is "he" isn't one character--the entire race is called "Mr. Saturn." Their dialogue is all shown in a font that looks like it was hand-written by a kid. They look like big heads with little feet and bulbous noses, a single hair with a bow on it, and cat whiskers. Apparently Mr. Saturn represents innocence in the EB series. There's nothing not to like about these little guys.

Faris from Final Fantasy V is a super-interesting character. Her personality is summed up perfectly here (from the FF wiki lol): "Being raised as male by pirates, Faris is defensive about her gender and even slips up in referring to herself as male or female. She can be defensive about her emotions and has a hard time expressing how she feels. She does have a caring side that comes out when she realizes she and Lenna might be connected, and she becomes protective of her. Though she never becomes sweet-spoken and polite, it is clear she is fond of her fellow Light Warriors and begins feeling a responsibility towards the world as they do."

The Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls is also a real cutie.

And I'm sure there are tons and tons more that I can't quite remember.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    John Marston... ♥ Honestly, I don't think that Red Dead Redemption would be one of my favorite games if it wasn't for John Marston.

I also really like a lot of the characters from BioShock, they were so in depth and made the story so thrilling through the voxophones and even the gameplay. I don't have one particular favorite (eh, maybe Elizabeth from Infinite and Sofia Lamb from the original) but collectively, BioShock has a great cast of characters.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Out of all the ones I adore, I have to say Rikku Al Bhed. She's a lot like me when I get to know others. She can't stay in place, and she's always so hyper and child-like. I love her to death. <3 Plus, I have a bit of a crush on Tara Strong. >/////<

I also like Yuffie from Final Fantasy as well. Oh, and Kairi from Kingdom Hearts because she's just awesome. Other characters I like are Sephiroth, Zack Fair, Tifa Lockhart and others. OH OH OH CHIE FROM PERSONA 4 GOLDEN JUST BECAUSE SHE KICKS MAJOR FUCKING ASS. <3

To be honest, I don't play much outside of the Tales of series, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (aside from Pokemon).

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my favorite video game characters, here are some of them:
    Tali'Zorah vas Normandy (Mass Effect series) - I like her really nice hips and her accent
    HK-47 (KotOR series) - badass psychotic assassin droid who is awesome
    Gilgamesh (Final Fantasy series) - badass, awesome, breakout character
    Ezio Auditore da Firenze (Assassin's Creed series) - one of the greatest members of the Assassin Order

pkmin3033

Some of mine:

Valvatorez (Disgaea 4) - After two truly terrible Disgaea protagonists following the infamous Laharl (Adell just got on my nerves, and Mao lacked any real personality to speak of) Valvatorez was a delightful breath of fresh air; a complex, insightful and yet utterly ridiculous character with a detailed, relevant backstory which resolved itself in truly beautiful fashion as the story unfolded. Valvatorez was always relevant, and I loved that about him. He had clearly defined goals and principles that he achieved and adhered to, irrespective of how ridiculous they seemed to others...viewer included. I never knew what he was going to do next, and he is a huge part of the reason Disgaea 4 is my favourite instalment of the franchise.

Dunban (Xenoblade Chronicles) - You get so many characters like Dunban in JRPGs these days, but what made him special (asides from his superb voice actor) was his willingness to stand aside and let others take the spotlight. I liked him far more for his Mentor role; he was already a fully developed and fantastic character, and its like he was used to bring out the best in the rest of the cast - Shulk in particular - and he did the job well. Plus that voice acting. Did I mention that voice acting? Reyn might have the most memorable lines, but Dunban is by far the most dramatic member of the cast <3

Merurulince Rede Arls (Atelier Meruru) - I adore Meruru. Of all the Atelier protagonists, she's the one who undergoes the most character development, despite only having one game to do it. Where Rorona tended to be too busy handling everyone else's lives that she forgot to get one of her own, and Totori seemed to just wander wherever a lot of the time with a vague goal, Meruru had that clear goal from the start of expanding her kingdom, and went from being a spoilt brat princess to someone I was really attached to by the end of the game. The multiple endings had some relevance to her development as a character as well, which was nice...albeit frustrating at times.

Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) - I didn't know how badly I neede Neptune in my life until she popped up, shattering the fourth wall with a reckless abandon that would make even Deadpool blush, sassing up literally everyone, and delivering artfully crafted, utterly ridiculous one liners that almost-always brought a smile to my face. I love the rest of the cast of the Neptunia series as well to varying degrees, but Neptune holds a special place in my heart. Plus, she's a kangaroo. Boing!

Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia) - Because what the goodness.

...I'll add more. Or make a second post.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • In no particular order...

Jak (Jak and Daxter)
    This will come as no surprise to everyone, I'm sure. I absolutely love Jak. He gets so much development through his trilogy of games that I find myself relating to, especially in my development here on PC. I've probably explained that a thousand times so I won't bother again here, haha. I love his crazy facial expressions in the first game. He can get across so much without even having to say a word and it's great. As the series progresses and he's able to talk, he still could probably go without saying a word...seriously, his facial expressions are one of this biggest and best traits, haha. But aside from silliness, I enjoy seeing his development after the Dark Eco experiments altering him so much. He's just a character I resonate well with and the series as a whole inspired me beyond words. I did say no order, but I think I would peg Jak as my number one.

Crono (Chrono Trigger)
    Crono is someone with a genuine nature to him. All the characters in the game fit that bill, definitely, but Crono takes that spotlight, I'd say. There is a naivety to him though, mostly referring to the fair and the thing later in the game. But he does what he does with such good intention, I can't help but love him for it. He's just one of those good guys you wanna be friends with.

Lucca (Chrono Trigger)
    Friends in mind, Crono's best friend, Lucca, also gets a mention. She's probably my favorite female character, even though she's not a main leader or anything (well I mean if you REALLY wanted to, she could lead you). Like with Crono and other CT characters, she's very genuine and believable character right from her passion for technology to her disdain for frogs. She's a hard worker as well and instead of grieving her past, she took it and made something out of it. I can relate to her undying passion, but I wish I was more like her in taking a negative and turning it into a positive. I admire that about her.

Lucas (Mother 3)
    I was going to spend time talking about his character development and how much his story tears at my heart, but instead, I'm just gonna tell you that I wanna pluck him out of the game and carry him on my shoulder for advice or something.

Alvin (Tales of Xillia/Xillia 2)
    The newest to my arsenal of favorite characters and inspiration for this thread. At first, Alvin was just this pretty face that I was hella happy about being in the party. Of course playing a Tales game, I got to know him and the rest of the party better as the story went on. And ugh. I just really love this guy. I'm easy and totally fall for the silly charming phrases he says, but like with most of my characters on this list, I'm enamored with character development and especially character interactions. His interactions with Jude and Elize specifically are some of my favorites. The way he talks to children is very playful and genuine, even though his intentions were always a bit unclear to everyone. And then his relationship with Jude is both funny and heartbreaking to watch. He's actually fun to watch with anyone, but I feel like those two characters stick out the most. And let's not ignore the elephant in the room, he's a total babe. Let's be real.

Years
  • Well, since you asked;

Yoshi (Mario series)

My favorite character in gaming. Sure, he may not have the most complex of personalities out there, but he's freaking adorable, and has really unique abilities. I also love how in Yoshi's Island (which fittingly is my favorite video game of all time) the Yoshi clan is willing to help Baby Mario reunite with Luigi purely out of the goodness of their hearts, instead of some reward.

Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog series(

Though I'm not the biggest fan of how he's been kind of flanderized over the years, Sonic will always have a place in my heart as one of my favorite gaming characters. What I love most about him is his cocky attitude and how him saving the world as much as he does is kind of an excuse to go on adventures. Makes him more unique than protagonists who save the world just to, well, save the world.

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney

What can I say about this guy? Awesome rival for Phoenix, tragic backstory that, though it clearly has effected him, doesn't delve into overly angsty territory (thank god), cool outfit, and I freaking love his personality.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Garrus Vakarian, Mass Effect Series
    How could you not like this guy? He's your right hand man (Turian?) throughout the games, and he's pretty complex as a character. He can seem cold sometimes, but you know that he's always there to pick you up after a loss, or go have a drink with down at the bar. You won't find a better partner throughout the games, and he's my favorite character because of it. I just hope he knows that I'm saving him a seat at the bar once he's finally done calibrating that gun.

Mordin Solus, Mass Effect Series
    The doctor that's just as likely to shoot you as he is to heal you. Seriously, when that's the first thing you hear when you're trying to find him, you know you're in for an interesting guy. His mind works so fast, and I always found my conversations with this guy extremely entertaining because of it. Once second you're talking about the genophage, and the next he's singing up and down the lab reciting his number for the musical he was a part of. He was willing to give the ultimate sacrifice to correct his past mistakes, and I stopped playing the game for a week because of it. Mordin and Garrus rounded out my usual party in Mass Effect 2, and for a good reason.

Urdnot Wrex, Mass Effect Series
    Okay, last Mass Effect character, I promise. This guy went from a brute for hire to a political mastermind in one game. I always brought Wrex along with Garrus since we needed some extra firepower, and I never expected to actually like his character. His little quips, good problem solving skills, and helpful insight made for a good contrast to his strength and aggression. He went from being this dumb brute, to one of the smartest people in my party. In my eyes, at least. I'm so glad I was able to save him during the first game, and I was very disappointed when I wasn't able to bring him along during the second and third games. At least there was Mordin, but I still missed those little quips that often had me laughing pretty loudly.

Alistar, League of Legends
    Even though I don't play the game anymore, Alistar still stands out to me. Not because he was my main, but his lore is what made me interested in him as a character. I wrote a short story expanding upon that, and I always imagined him as someone who tries to keep all of his anger and sadness inside.

Galio, League of Legends
    My second main, and I really think he's a sleeping powerhouse. What really made me like him, however, was his lore. It's pretty dang sad, and makes his statement, "I will protect" mean a little bit more. Hopefully Poppy keeps him company, haha.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    DPhz3yP.png

Wario is my absolute favourite. There's so much to like about him, including how he even came about. (A representation of Nintendo R&D1's utter dislike of using character that aren't their own, which at the time was Mario.) The character has such a rich history and evolved from being literally bad Mario (his name is a japanese pun for that) to a charmingly zany character that you just can't help but love to hate. He has two series under his belt and both are fantastic, with Warioware being one of the most innovative games and one that really represents what Wario is all about.

v11BcCc.png

I love Solid Snake because of his connection to the player. He's a legendary soldier, almost invincible with many people that died by his hands. He is a video game character controlled by a player through and through, the original game makes sure you know this, and Snake himself is absolutely conscious about this. And he doesn't like it. He doesn't consider himself a legend like everyone else does, he doesn't show any connection to the other characters in the story and he thinks himself as a heartless murderer. Despite his accomplishments the character ultimately ends up being manipulated and used by practically the whole cast, and more importantly, the player that's actually controlling him.

zZNzHnd.jpg

Kyle Hyde is a lovable douche that really accomplishes nothing for himself. He's pretty cynical and jaded, but his heart is on the right track. He spends his time looking for clues about his missing partner, but never gets anywhere, instead he deals with a bunch of different people and digs into the root of their issues. He's no superhero of course, so he never really manages to fix anyone's issues, but instead he just helps them get on the right track to redemption. Despite the tough guy attitude, he's a really charming character.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    4zBx8IL.jpg

Beat, from Jet Set Radio. He's my absolute favorite video game character of all time. He just looks cool.

mannakete

exec hymme Holy=Judgment sos yor
    Years
  • My absolute favorites are Colette Brunel and Sorey. I can't exactly explain why coherently but they're both very important to me anyways, Colette especially.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Guess I should add Ludger to the list. I didn't think I'd get so attached to him since he's a silent protagonist in a game that's not, in my opinion, a good one for a silent protagonist, but you do get to choose what he says when the time calls for it and he's really a good guy. Well, you can make him be a jerk, but judging by the times I've accidentally made him be a jerk (I'm sorry Jude I really am!), people don't take it too hard and know what he means at the core. But he really grew on me, if that wasn't clear, haha. I just wish I could hear his voice more cause I feel like that would help, but I guess that's what ng+ is for.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Nnngh...difficult choices. I'm going to unfortunately be really predictable and put Touhou characters on as favourites of mine.

First up - Junko, from the newest game. While the battle with her leaves much to be desired, her story fills in the blanks. She's a pure being, a divine spirit, who only exists to attack the people of the Moon. A being of simple anger.She's purified herself to the point that she has no motives, no thought - she just does.

My second pick has to be Koishi Komeiji, a former stand-out #1 for me. I just love this girl - she's really cute (as you can see from my current theme~), and she has a really nice theme to her. Her attacks and her skills have a lot to do with psychology, a subject that I like but can't really study. I just love the links she has to Sigmund Freud.

Back