• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cheaters Never Win

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    ...or maybe they do, haha.

Anyway, what are your opinions on using cheat codes in video games? Do you like using them? Why or why not? If you've ever used cheats before, approximately how many games were you able to use them on? Do you remember what games they were? Were there any reason behind using these cheats? If you don't like cheats, then what do you think about people who use them?

Personally, I don't mind using cheats occasionally. I won't use any sort of cheat on any games until I'm finished with its story though, because they make the difficulty very easy for you, which takes away all the fun. I don't mind people who use cheat codes either, but it does annoy me a little when their cheats--one way or any other--end up affecting my gameplay. For example, when playing multiplayer on Call of Duty, some of your opponents tend to use a cheating device known as "lag switch." This device, when activated, makes you seem as if you're lagging. In actuality, you really aren't. While you're experiencing this false lag issue, you get stuck in one place for a minute or two, which gives your opponent the upper hand and makes it extremely easy for them to kill you.

So far, the only video games that I've had the chance to use cheats on are Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City, Pokémon Emerald, Megaman Battle Network 5: Double Team DS, and Super Mario 64 DS. On GTA: LC, I used cheat codes to summon one of those special tanks. These type of tanks were incredibly strong, and they had the ability to destroy anything that they managed to touch. If you ever got into one of these tanks, you were simply invincible. For Emerald, I used cheats for only two purposes--obtain Deoxys and walk through walls. I was obsessed with Deoxys at that time, so I just hand to get my hands on it. As for walking through walls... well, I found it to be pretty fun. xD I had to use cheats in MMBN5 because there were some battle chips that I wanted to have in my inventory, and I also wanted to have that awesome-looking Bass soul. Finally, on Super Mario 64, I used some codes because I wanted to fly Yoshi around so that I can deeply explore some of my favorite locations.

Years
    I occasionally use cheats for added content in games that I've finished already. One good example is a game genie code "STAGEO" for Super Mario that makes all enemies throw hammers.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    When I can use cheats; I will use cheats. However I usually restrict myself from using cheats until I have played the game and either beat it or find myself blocked by something ridiculously hard. I never cheat in multiplayer unless ALL parties agree to every cheat we enable.

So yes; I have owned Action Replay/GameShark devices and used them. 99% of the time I find that having this option helps to re-invigorate gameplay for me once I hit a wall or have beaten the game's primary objective. What's more is that I don't cheat unless I'm seriously walled or have finished that first goalpost and seen the credits roll.

Of course being "seriously walled" is somewhat subjective. I tend to define it as either being unable to progress even after obtaining a walkthrough for the play segment or being unable to progress after more than 10-20 play hours while attempting to progress, and this includes grinding time that may be necessary to achieve or unlock things.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    Perdition Haze said:
    What are your opinions on using cheat codes in video games?
    As long as they're not used beat the game. If you bought a game, expecting an easy playthrough, realize the games a little harder than you'd like and use god mode cheat codes to progress. Then you should probably not have purchased the game.

Do you like using them?
    Only after I beat the game without using codes or cheats. (EX. Black 2)

I feel after I've suffered through a full playthrough without using cheats and winning fair and square, I deserve a little fun time. (EX. AR'd levels post-story)

Approximately how many games were you able to use them on?
    Lemme see. I wanna say... 5 games at least. There's probably more, but I can't remember as I was a wee lad of a cheater. Lol

Do you remember what games they were
    See list below.
    Spoiler:

Were there any reason behind using these cheats?
    I've beaten the game at least once before using any type of cheat so I think I deserve a break.

If you don't like cheats, then what do you think about people who use them?
    If they've not beaten the game first. To be blunt, then they're casual wimps. (Sorry, no offense to anyone who does use them on this website. I harbor no feelings of contempt for the guys on PC.)

On a different idea that touches on cheating but less on codes.

Multiplayer modding/hacking/lag switching. Make me want to beat the player who uses any or all of the previous listed with my size 12 shoe. They are cowards, wimps and wussies and deserve the ban that get when they're caught.

TY

I cheat for the greater good, and that is all the time when possible xD

Unless i play multiplayer or its impossible to cheat

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I normally use console commands in Skyrim to make good screenshots or to do funny stuff.

I use cheat codes in Digimon World Championship that lets me control one of my digimon so that is like the best cheat.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
    I ... hate cheaters. They ruin it for everyone. But I mean actual cheating, modding the games in ways that give them an edge in it, if it's something built into the game that they take advantage of, that's not really cheating. Taking advantage of glitches and such is not my style, but meh, it's the devs fault those exist, not the people who take advantage of them. But hacking the game or using software that alters the game is cheating, in all cases.

Reactions: T!M

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
    I use cheat codes all of the time for different games, however I only use them during single player gameplay. Cheating in multiplayer is illegal as opposed to using cheat codes in single player that are built into the game. By illegal I of course don't mean by state/federal law, I mean by the game developer and/or publisher. Unlike playing alone, when you cheat in online multiplayer you effect other peoples gameplay and have an unfair advantage. It's not allowed and even if it was it would be highly frowned upon.

The main argument against cheating in single player is that it takes away from the fun or that you just aren't good enough to beat the game. However that is wrong. How fun a game is with or without cheat codes is a matter of opinion. Some games I find more fun without while other games are much better with cheat codes. I'm very capable of beating any video game I own without, but sometimes I find the game more enjoyable with cheat codes. There isn't as much of a challenge, but I get enough satisfaction in the gameplay, characters, plot, and story to have fun.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I think cheat codes are a good thing unless they interfere with competitive play in some aspect. I've used them, mainly on older games and really enjoy them. I thin kit is great when a company incorporates them in their game. I enjoy using them because they are not fun, they allow us to do unorthodox things in the game that we couldn't do without them, or that it would be very hard to do. I've probably used cheats on about twenty or so different games, I can't remember them all off of the top of my heads. The most fun game that I used cheats on was probably GTA: Chinatown on the DS.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
    I don't use them...I don't care if someone else uses them in single player, but they lose bragging rights in my eyes...It's never okay in multiplayer unless specifically agreed upon...

Shizzable

The Derpiest One Of All
    Years
    As long as the cheats don't affect anyone else. For example, if I'm playing CoD, I've never lost to a guy because their gun looks different or they have an extra class. Playing a single player game? Hack it as much as you want. In my eyes, hacking can make plenty of single player games a lot more fun (I've never tried it).

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I'd be nothing without them. Like, I don't really use the cheat codes excessively like most people do. I usually only use them when I really need to. The cheats help make the game a little easier for me to play. Actually, I only use cheats in my Pokemon games since that's usually all I really play.

To me, it all depends on how you use them. If you're using them just to be an arse or just for no real reason for it then I think it's wrong. People always get after me for using the cheat codes, but they don't realize it gives me a slight boost in confidence when I play my pokemon games.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    When I was younger, I played games on Easy and used Cheat Codes to help me with the game. For example, in Age of Empires II, I would use AEGIS to insta-build or How Do I Turn This On to get a car with machine guns to destroy everything. In the story I used I Am Winner or something to insta-win the scenario and rush through. In 007 Nightfire, I couldn't complete a certain level... the one with the Japanese Geisha houses or something, so I used Passport to unlock all the levels.

Now I am older, I play games on Normal difficulty and don't use cheats.

I suppose it was simply because I wasn't great at gaming that I used to use cheats and such. However, I never had anything like a GameShark and I was too young to know what hacking even was, so it was never anything serious.

TY

I always cheated when i was young, cause i couldnt win a single thing and i could get quite pissed if i didnt win back then haha.
    Now im more enjoying challenges and dont cheat. Unless its GTA, where you can get 12 pages full of cheats xD

~Shy

Excuse my grammar I'm Filipino
    Years
    One game I cheat the most the Super Mario games It's impossible for me to beat
    I hate jump puzzle
    In Pokemon games yea Master Ball
    PSP games always once

TY

On the other hand i hate people who cheat in multiplayer games. It really takes the fun out of it *cough* CoD: World at War *cough*

Yeah that game is known for cheaters all the time. I think it has the most cheaters on it online.

TY

Okay i agree, boosters were so annoying and MW2 just made them exist with the dang Tactical Insertion. Luckily i dont see them anymore as i stopped playing it, but still it was really annoying

Back