• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Chikorita was released! Good-bye Chikorita!"

~Ryukaa

total nerd
Years
  • Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?
    I prefer keeping the Pokemon.

-If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    Yeah, definitely. By the time you've finished the game, you seem really like the starter. Well, that's how I feel. xD;

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?
    gen 1-4 yes, i will always keep my starter all the way through the game. gen 5 no. only time i haven't. starters this gen were a disapointment...
    If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    yeh usually.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I hate starters and I always drop them out. I always replace them with Pokemon of the same types as they're one of the most important ones.

CheshireNeko

Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • I dislike starters, because I find them generic and plain, so I release them right away and replace them with a Pokemon I like, not necessarily of the same type. In second gen, for example, I dropped Chikorita for a Zubat and Magicarp (call me lame), but it was very challenging and satisfying to level and evolve them, and see them become real butt-kickers over time.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?

I've never actually released any of my Pokémon ever. If I don't use it, it'll sit in my box forever, but I won't release it. I've played a couple games where I got tired of using the starters but that mostly came around DPPt, when I restarted the game more times than I could count. x__x

If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?

Sure. It doesn't do the opposite, at any rate. :3

If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?

There has never really been a specific kind of Pokémon I'd replace a starter with. Maybe something functional of the same type, but aside from that I never had any specifications.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • Do you prefer to keep your starter with you the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different Pokemon?
    I'll usually keep my starter until I beat the Elite Four (in this case, Ghetsis), then swap it out for something a little more capable.

If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of Pokemon do you replace it with?
    Usually something of the same type, but with a better moveset.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • I ALWAYS keep my starter around. For one, they are your first pokemon..I pity teh fool he gets rid of his first pokemon..Theres just too many memories associated with them! I always keep them in the party too, most of the time they take first spot seeing as they ARE pretty strong and their movepool is usually pretty large. Though I think on Red one time I traded my starter which was a Venosaur at the time for a Blastoise and a Charizard..But yeah, I never EVAR drop or even box my starter for a different one..I mean heck, they stood by me for my travels, fainting and battling for my ideals and pleasure (sounds wrong >_>) so why would I release them back into the wild or box them and not let them have fun anymore?</3.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I keep my starter. I don't recall ever dropping my starter. Probably mostly because it's a strong Water type, and it is one that I have already trained when playing through the game.

-If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?
    Um... I guess, but they are just pixels on a screen. =P

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon?

The only time I dropped a stater was in a Normal Monotype Challenge. So, yeah.

lolno.

Years
    Depends of challenge I'm going to beat or team I'm planning.
    If I want to have my starter in my team, I keep it.
    -If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?
    Usually the same type what starter is.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • What's funny is, for most of my time playing Pokemon, that never even popped into my head as an option at all. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought to ever get rid of my started. I don't think I've ever finished a Pokemon without a starter, but I might have to change that soon. If I wasn't already invested in my White save, I might have done it, but I'll have to do it on the next go round or in the third game in the 5th gen.

Years

I always keep my starter for the entire game. I feel weird whenever I deposit my starter.

Sure.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'll only keep it until I get Farfetch'd or Spearow... or maybe even Beedrill; I've long liked it but never had one. Starter monsters, being unique, feel too special — I want to be a normal trainer with normal monsters.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Do you prefer to keep your starter with you through the entire game or do you prefer to drop it for a different pokemon? Unless I'm doing a challenge that requires me to get rid of it, then I keep it for the entire game and it's a part of my main team. (As in the team I use to go through most of the game.) It's one of the only team members that are consistent for me.
    -If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon? In the way that I can have a bond with video game creatures, yes. xD Because I've had my main Pokemon since the beginning. So I feel that I "know" my team better. I don't know. Something like that.

Years
    Only once. I released a Treecko in Sapphire. It was very hard to train (very fragile and lacking attacking stats) and it's propably the least cute starter yet. I replaced it with a Lotad.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I prefer keeping my starter through the entire game. But it depends on how well it can cope with the rest of my team. Most of the time, I keep my starter through the entire game. I've never released any pokemon, ever..

Yes. <3

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I dislike starters, because I find them generic and plain, so I release them right away and replace them with a Pokemon I like, not necessarily of the same type. In second gen, for example, I dropped Chikorita for a Zubat and Magicarp (call me lame), but it was very challenging and satisfying to level and evolve them, and see them become real butt-kickers over time.

^ I must say that is very interesting

I always keep my starter. It's my first pokemon I ever got! I can't just give it away. I wouldn't have been able to start my journey without it.

Yes definitely. That's another reason why I always keep them.

Weespotty

The girl of nature
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2011
    I sure do! Your starter is your most valuble pokemon (Not incuding legends)
    I guess you could say yes.

Years

I do. Or rather, I try to. I never had a problem keeping my Pokemon in my team until I completed the game up until Gen V. I started with Oshawott, but once it evolved into Samurott I didn't want it anymore. Although, it's now the highest level Pokemon I have currently, I switched it for another Pokemon when I was around the 5th gym badge. Then I swapped it back right before the Elite 4...

- If you prefer to keep your starter with you for the entire game, do you feel like it deepens your bond with your pokemon?

...Kinda? I think the starter you choose in any Pokemon games should always be your lead Pokemon.

- If you prefer to drop your starter, what kinds of pokemon do you replace it with?

If I do drop my starter, I try to replace it with something that balances out the team. If my starter was a water-type, I'd swap with another water. Fire, swap with fire. Grass, another swap with grass. I try to also pick Pokemon with secondary-types because of some advantages, but with many advantages comes disadvantages as well.

Also, not always do I follow up with the same type to replace it with. If it has some identical moves, that's fine too. I would swap a Pokemon if it had grass-moves like my starter, yet was a normal-type is what I'm saying.

Back