• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

cloned pokemon vs. hacked

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I have come to notice while looking at trade threads that a lot of people are cloning pokemon, and it is generally accepted. Meanwhile, I also see a lot of people stating they will not accept hacked pokemon. I was wondering, what is the difference, if any?

I do neither, dunno how, don't care to know. I'm sure I have traded for cloned pokemon, but I have paid for them with legitimate pokemon or items I have gotten on my own. I find both methods to be cheap, and take a lot of the joy out of the game. What's the point of building a team from scratch or getting that shiny you wanted if you didn't earn it in some way? Maybe I an just not up with the times, but something feels very cheap about both methods, and I don't see a lot of difference between the two. Your thoughts?

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Big difference between Clones and hacks. A clone is a legit pokemon that has been copied. Whereas a hack is a completely user generated pokemon usually consisting of impossible stats or abilities. A cloned pokemon can be traded over the WiFi but a hack is likely to get rejected.

My views are, I do not make either, but I will trade for a clone if it's a mon I really need/want. I won't touch a hack with a ten foot poll. I'm pretty sure Gamefreak put in a lot of hack identifying checks in gen 6 so they should be less prevalent or hopefully all together gone.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
    Years
  • Big difference between Clones and hacks. A clone is a legit pokemon that has been copied. Whereas a hack is a completely user generated pokemon usually consisting of impossible stats or abilities. A cloned pokemon can be traded over the WiFi but a hack is likely to get rejected.

My views are, I do not make either, but I will trade for a clone if it's a mon I really need/want. I won't touch a hack with a ten foot poll. I'm pretty sure Gamefreak put in a lot of hack identifying checks in gen 6 so they should be less prevalent or hopefully all together gone.

Yes, the little blue pentagon is an identifier. If that's present, it means it's a legitimate Pokémon and not a hack.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Yes, the little blue pentagon is an identifier. If that's present, it means it's a legitimate Pokémon and not a hack.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are lots of theories about this thing, for example some people believe that it's only use is to identify Pokemon obtained in Kalos, which means Pokemon from earlier generations won't have it. I would even say that it may be an identifier for future generations since Pokebank has to be compatible with gens 7+ and there has to be kinda mechanism to prevent trading gen 7+ Pokemon to like gen 6 games.

Also hacked Pokemon =/= hacked Pokemon. Sure there are a lot of People hacking Pokemon to do evil deeds, but there are also people who want to play Pokemon competetively without having hours to spend on breeding (not everyone has enough time to build a team on his own), or people who want to have fun with Pokemon they can't obtain through normal gameplay. As long as people keep their hacked Pokemon by themselves it's no problem (for me); if they use them in wifi battles as long as they are legal it's fine (for me), too.

And just for reference: right now it's not possible to hack Pokemon into X and Y and that won't change for a while. It will take a long time till ARs are able to hack 3DS games and stuff like Pokegen will have a really hard time considering the new GTS has all these new encrypted security protocolls.

Kai Hirogame

The Mechanic
    Years
  • I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are lots of theories about this thing, for example some people believe that it's only use is to identify Pokemon obtained in Kalos, which means Pokemon from earlier generations won't have it. I would even say that it may be an identifier for future generations since Pokebank has to be compatible with gens 7+ and there has to be kinda mechanism to prevent trading gen 7+ Pokemon to like gen 6 games.

Also hacked Pokemon =/= hacked Pokemon. Sure there are a lot of People hacking Pokemon to do evil deeds, but there are also people who want to play Pokemon competetively without having hours to spend on breeding (not everyone has enough time to build a team on his own), or people who want to have fun with Pokemon they can't obtain through normal gameplay. As long as people keep their hacked Pokemon by themselves it's no problem (for me); if they use them in wifi battles as long as they are legal it's fine (for me), too.

And just for reference: right now it's not possible to hack Pokemon into X and Y and that won't change for a while. It will take a long time till ARs are able to hack 3DS games and stuff like Pokegen will have a really hard time considering the new GTS has all these new encrypted security protocolls.

I thought it was confirmed a while ago that it was indeed a Hack-Check. I remember reading it somewhere.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Clones are duplicates of a Pokémon, and hacked Pokémon are those who had their data altered by use of external devices (such as Action Replay or a computer). To me, cloned Pokémon are acceptable, since they look legitimate. Hacked Pokémon are okay too, sort of, but if they're overly hacked though—for example, when they have 999 stats, know moves that they can't normally learn, etc—then in my opinion, they definitely should not be accepted by anyone. d:

Years
  • I really wish neither would have ever been allowed in competitive play. I look at it like this: if you wanna hack pkmn for your in game play go ahead, but when you bring cloned or hacked pkmn to a online battle, you are taking away from someone else's experience and hard work.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2014
    I really wish neither would have ever been allowed in competitive play. I look at it like this: if you wanna hack pkmn for your in game play go ahead, but when you bring cloned or hacked pkmn to a online battle, you are taking away from someone else's experience and hard work.
    cloned pokemon are simply exploiting a glitch of sorts with the saving of data, and are basically just a copy of another pokemon, with identical stats, IV's, natures, etc. and as far as I know, are recognized by Nintendo's security as legit, whereas, hacked pokemon contain data that has been manipulated by 3rd party software/programs, such as GameShark, and various web programs, and are not recognized as legitimate by Pokebank,

I have no problem with cloned pokemon, its like making a backup of a Word document. hacked pokemon, however, is just plain cheating in my eyes.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • I have no problem with cloned pokemon, its like making a backup of a Word document..
    This, precisely. I clone Pokemon and back them up on Pokecheck so I don't lose them if something bad happens to one of my games. And hey, if it also means I can spread some otherwise legit shinies to nice people, why not do it?

Years
  • Clones are duplicates of a Pokémon, and hacked Pokémon are those who had their data altered by use of external devices (such as Action Replay or a computer). To me, cloned Pokémon are acceptable, since they look legitimate. Hacked Pokémon are okay too, sort of, but if they're overly hacked though—for example, when they have 999 stats, know moves that they can't normally learn, etc—then in my opinion, they definitely should not be accepted by anyone. d:

Well, Pokemon Bank will have a legitimacy checker which will weed out poorly hacked 'mons.

Back