• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Community team

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    While having played pokemon from day one I am fresh to the block of competitive play. I would ask all of you who read this to chip in to help make a community team, this will serve as my first competitive team for singles . The first 6 pokemon to be suggested will be the ones used, and since I want to make this more of a community made team I want to limit 1addition to the team per person please explain choices/ strategies and once again I am new henceforth I don't know any lingo or abbreviations. Please keep this in mind.if possible I would like the main point on your posts to be on why something is right wrong good or bad, explanations mean everything. Thanks for reading I look forward to seeing what kind of team this turns out to be

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Stunfisk.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for here, if you want to make your own builds based on suggestions, or have us lay the whole thing out, buuuut just in case.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    Stunfisk.

I'm not sure what else you're looking for here, if you want to make your own builds based on suggestions, or have us lay the whole thing out, buuuut just in case.

Spoiler:

My thoughts on this is to have a team made by the community that I can learn from in order to make my own team. I had asked for explanations in order to learn why something is or is not good instead of me assuming and getting it completely wrong as suggestions come in I will add my two cents and make suggestions based upon what I know and have witnessed that being said thank you for posting, and the main objective of this is to get a complete team that this community came together to build and also to introduce myself and get to know the community

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    My thoughts on this is to have a team made by the community that I can learn from in order to make my own team. I had asked for explanations in order to learn why something is or is not good instead of me assuming and getting it completely wrong as suggestions come in I will add my two cents and make suggestions based upon what I know and have witnessed that being said thank you for posting, and the main objective of this is to get a complete team that this community came together to build and also to introduce myself and get to know the community
    Ah, well, it's a bit much for you to ask us to build entire teams for you and I think it's against BTB's rules too

But Polar's questions are where you wanna start. Knowing if you're gonna do singles/doubles, 3DS/Showdown, rated/unrated helps both you and us with team building. Singles and Doubles play very differently. You'll also wanna look at some of the resources Battling&Teambuilding has:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=332177#resources

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    Hm, alright, well let me ask ye a few things about this.

Do you plan on playing singles or doubles? Are you playing on Showdown or 3DS? And if showdown / 3DS, are you playing which tier or rated or unrated battles? :3

This is supposed to be a singles team I'm playing on the 3DS that said I am unsure about tier rank or the such I may try them all out but if this is like any other systems I'll probably lean towards ranked battling

I thank you again for your help your giving me a great impression on this community

Ok i should clarify this is meant to be something fun for everyone and it's not my intention to just take this team and run I want to know people's different views on building a team and I want to add my own thoughts as well that being said I this will be my first competitive team however only for a day or so as to get my feet wet then I will not be online until I come with my own team and I'm not looking for straight forward use this or use that I want to know why I'm not here to steal or to be given a winning team I'm here to learn and thought this might be a fun way to do so and get to know the community as well
    Also I have been looking at the resources Zekrom but a wall of text may not provide me with everything I need to know and i can't ask it questions I didn't mean to offend you if I did

Last edited by a moderator:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok i should clarify this is meant to be something fun for everyone and it's not my intention to just take this team and run I want to know people's different views on building a team and I want to add my own thoughts as well that being said I this will be my first competitive team however only for a day or so as to get my feet wet then I will not be online until I come with my own team and I'm not looking for straight forward use this or use that I want to know why I'm not here to steal or to be given a winning team I'm here to learn and thought this might be a fun way to do so and get to know the community as well
    Also I have been looking at the resources Zekrom but a wall of text may not provide me with everything I need to know and i can't ask it questions I didn't mean to offend you if I did
    lol, I'm not offended. Just was a bit confused as to what exactly you wanted us to do.

If I'm understanding this right, you want a bunch of us to piece together a team for you to play around with and get an idea on how to make a team and what works well for individual Pokemon, correct?

If that's the case, I'll add a 2nd member to the team being made here:

Team

1) Stunfisk
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Static
    Item: Choice Specs
    EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 252 HP
    Moves:
    Earth Power, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Ice, Sludge Bomb

2) Gyarados w/Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Intimidate/Moxie
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    Moves: Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Fang, Dragon Dance

Gyarados is immune to Ground and resists Water, two of Stunfisk's weaknesses, while Stunfisk is immune to Electric and resists Rock, Gyarados's weaknesses. Gyarados is a formidable physical attacker, and gets good coverage with the 3 attacking moves listed while Dragon Dance makes it more dangerous.

And then someone else comes along and adds another Pokemon to the team, right?

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    My personal suggestion for the team is
    Aegislash
    Nature: impish
    Ability: change stance
    Item: leftovers
    EV's: 252 Def 252 SP Def
    Moves:
    Shadow claw, kings shield, power trick

I am unsure about the last move

Other than being resistant to quit a lot it seems like an awesome idea having a tank do awesome damage it'd be nice to baton pass speed boost to him although I am unsure weather this would be enough

exactly Zekrom I thank you for your contribution this is exactly what I was looking for I'm currently working on an explanation for my choice but any thoughts are helpful. Thanks for not hating on the new guy XD

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Yesssss Zekrom that's perfect. Gyarados compliments the first suggestion real well.

When planning a team a big thing to keep in mind, er - two big things - are the roles each pokemon plays, and their typing both offensively and defensively. Especially in singles, competitive matches often involve a lllllot of switching. Be it to force the opposing pokemon out by threatening to KO it, or to 'wall' (which is slang for taking attacks from with little to no danger) the opposing pokemon, and initiate non-directly-offensive strategies, such as spreading status, setting up hazards; etc etc. So you, are best off planning on switching your pokemon, or at least most of them - out to something else on your team providing a number of situations. Namely based on what typings and opponent's roles give each pokemon problems.

Stunfisk, is slow, mildly bulky, and Ground / Electric. It's weak to Ice, Grass, Water, and Ground. But it's immune to electric, and resists Steel, Poison, Rock, and Flying. Gyarados, is an average speed level, not too bulky but not frail, and Water / Flying. It's weak to Electric most prominently, with x4, and rock. It is immune to ground though, and resists water, fighting, steel, and fire.

So if either is your currently active pokemon, due to their typings, they can potentially provide a very good switch in to change the situation. If your opponent tries to attack Gyarados with an electric or Rock attack, Stunfisk can switch in and be immune to or resist the attack. If your opponent tries to attack Stunfisk with either a water or ground attack, you can switch Gyarados in, and either be immune to or resist that attack.

ALSO - the Stunfisk build mentioned above is a Specially Offensive set, meaning it hits things with special attack very hard. The Gyardos set mentioned above is a Physically Offensive set, meaning it hits things with Attack very hard. It's important to gauge and balance those two offensive presences on your team, and often have moves of varying types to hit your opponent with; so as to cover as many situations as possible.

Anywho enough of that; good luck with this mate - and if you ever wanna test it out, hit me up for a 3DS test play match :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    so far i couldnt ask for more from you guys this is exactly what i was hoping for and more thank you so much Polar Spectrum and Zekrom i hope more people like you come to this thread

our team currently stands at 3
    with

1: Polar Spectrum's
    Stunfisk

Moves:

2: Zekroms

Gyarados
    w/Life Orb

3 My
    Aegislash

Moves: Shadow claw, kings shield, power trick
    a final move needs to be decided on

all suggestions and comments are welcome i appreciate all the help and experience you guys have to offer i only just started this thread today and im left with a wonderful impression of this community

we still need 3 more pokes and i need help with the final move on my Aegislash
    i look forward to the final product

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • so far i couldnt ask for more from you guys this is exactly what i was hoping for and more thank you so much Polar Spectrum and Zekrom i hope more people like you come to this thread

with

Stunfisk

Moves:

Gyarados
    w/Life Orb

3 My
    Aegislash

Moves: Shadow claw, kings shield, power trick
    a final move needs to be decided on

all suggestions and comments are welcome i appreciate all the help and experience you guys have to offer i only just started this thread today and im left with a wonderful impression of this community

we still need 3 more pokes and i need help with the final move on my Aegislash
    i look forward to the final product

You could use offensive Stunfisk, but Stunfisk is outclassed by most other Electric Pokemon at that role, such as Mega Manectric, due to its middling power and lack of Speed. A defensive set is the way to go:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Earth Power
    -Discharge
    -Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers

You do not use Power Trick on Aegislash ever. See, how Stance Change works is that when Aegislash attacks in its Shield forme, it switches to Blade forme and uses that forme's monstrous 150 offensive stats to attack. If you use Power Trick, Blade forme Aegislash will end up attacking with a wimpy 50 Attack stat, while its Defense becomes very frail in Shield forme until you switch out. If you want Aegislash to maintain a good defense after attacking, it's best to use King's Shield (which reverts it to Shield Forme to tank further attacks) or switch out (switching out returns Aegislash to its Shield Forme if it's in Blade forme). Better sets down here:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak/Iron Head
    -Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Pursuit
    -King's Shield
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/252 SAtk

or
    -Substitute
    -Toxic
    -King's Shield
    -Shadow Ball

or
    -Shadow Ball
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Flash Cannon
    -Sacred Sword/Pursuit
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Iron Head/Shadow Claw
    -Sacred Sword/Head Smash
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    ok thank you for the feed back i obviously didn't know what i was doing with Aegislash.
    i like what you've brought to my attention i am quit fond of your first suggestion it seems likely meant to be able to tank while dealing some damage itself

with

Stunfisk

Moves:

Gyarados

3:my

Aegislash

-Shadow Ball
    -Iron Head
    -Pursuit
    -King's Shield

thanks to PlatinumDude for helping me fix this messed up poke honestly its really his now lol changed everything

also i did consider what you said about stunfisk PlatniumDude im not ignoring it just want to see what others have to say about it first

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Goddangit platinum xD

The point of a community team mate, is to have a team built by several members of a community, with different perspectives and contributions, not one whitewashed team that only one person picks all the builds or pokemon on based on what 'outclasses' what.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Goddangit platinum xD

The point of a community team mate, is to have a team built by several members of a community, with different perspectives and contributions, not one whitewashed team that only one person picks all the builds or pokemon on based on what 'outclasses' what.

I presented a better option on Stunfisk because it has the defenses to support the team.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • ok thank you for the feed back i obviously didn't know what i was doing with Aegislash.
    i like what you've brought to my attention i am quit fond of your first suggestion it seems likely meant to be able to tank while dealing some damage itself

with

Stunfisk

Moves:

Gyarados

3:my

Aegislash

-Shadow Ball
    -Iron Head
    -Pursuit
    -King's Shield

thanks to PlatinumDude for helping me fix this messed up poke honestly its really his now lol changed everything

also i did consider what you said about stunfisk PlatniumDude im not ignoring it just want to see what others have to say about it first

A bulky concelldur might work great for this

Abiliyt: Guts (punishes status abusers/status absorber)
    Item: Assault Vest
    EV's: 252 hp/ 252 att/ 4 sp. def

drain punch (STAB + health regen)
    ice punch (flying/ gliscor coverage)
    mach punch (every team needs priority)
    knock off (hits ghost types/ nice utility)

Its weaknesses (psychic, fairy, flying) are all covered by the other pokes. It provides nice coverage for steel types.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    Thanks everyone for participating we only need 2 pokes now and im amazed at the feed back so far

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • Need something fast.

Typhlosion@Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 SpA, 252 Spd
    Ability: Blaze
    -Eruption
    -Fire Blast
    -Focus Blast
    -Hidden Power Ice (Or Rock)