• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Competitive Battling Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • Would it be stupid to put substitute on Haxorus so it can set up swords dance? No baton passer at the moment.

Also is there any opportunity to battle at lower levels? Like level 55? I haven't had a battle with another person since I was a kid!

Actually, giving Sub to Haxorus is (somewhat) viable because it protects it from status and gives it a protection buffer to ease set up.

If I remember correctly, there's an auto-level function in B/W to make all Pokemon level 50 before the battle starts.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think that's an interesting discussion. I think PO's tiers are way more balanced than smogon's tiers, being the only difference in OU is chandelure and excadrill aren't banned on smogon (though im probably forgetting some other pkmn but im going off of what i remember)
    Isn't it the other way around? Smogon bans Excadrill, but not Chandelure. You're probably thinking of Dream World, where they unbanned everything.

Hey guys, I just test a SubPunch set for dragonite and it actually work lol. It's a little crazy so I called him dragonuts. Here is the set:
    Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    Traits: Multiscale.
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Focus Punch
    - Dragon Claw
    I don't know how to arrange the EVs for best performance so can you guys give some advice?
    Looks pretty interesting actually, since the Dragon + Fighting combo isn't resisted by anything. Speed EVs aren't very good on SubPunchers though, as it's better to take a hit, use Sub, then fire off an attack. If Dragonite was faster, the Sub would have been broken. Something like 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed and Adamant nature should be fine.

Would it be stupid to put substitute on Haxorus so it can set up swords dance? No baton passer at the moment.

Also is there any opportunity to battle at lower levels? Like level 55? I haven't had a battle with another person since I was a kid!
    Like PlatinumDude said, it's good for blocking status. You could do give it a Dragon Gem, similar to Sub + SD Terrakion. But Skarmory and the like can still survive a Dragon Gem boosted +2 Outrage pretty easily. I would think Double Dance is probably better though (Dragon Dance / Swords Dance / Outrage / Earthquake). It's more versatile since you can break through stall with SD, while DD is better against offense. And Lum Berry can be used for blocking status anyway.

The following has been paid for by elf.inc.

SERVER IS BACK UP

:)
    More like Wolf, Inc. ;) Imma start editing the thread title with the server status so everyone knows when it's up.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    (19:10:05) +Raikou: hey blubberchomp
    (19:10:07) +Raikou: are u here
    (19:10:31) Kaori joined the channel.
    (19:10:41) +Entei: kaoriii
    (19:10:41) +Raikou: if you are/when you look here could you look in the scripts and see if you can fix the -not letting us send links- thing

Just leaving this where wolf will see it. :)

Shinkirō

蜃気楼 // Mirage
    Years
  • In regards to OU, I never really saw the logic behind Garchomps's banning, but Deo-S needs to stay in hell right where it belongs. I hate Deoxys.

Years
  • In regards to OU, I never really saw the logic behind Garchomps's banning, but Deo-S needs to stay in hell right where it belongs. I hate Deoxys.

Garchomp was a cool pkmn, but its ability Sand Veil was uncompetitive for the most part since it had a 20% miss rate [30 with brightpowder] that could easily alter an otherwise one sided game in the losing player's favor, on sheer luck alone.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    tbh I can't see anything that I necessarily want banned. :x I think just getting away from OU has been like a ban for me which is good, if that even makes sense lool.

edit: HEY WOLF FIX /ME PLZ. :(

Last edited:
    Years
  • So has anybody seen Vrai's sediments? Derk went to go with them a while ago, but they're nowhere to be found.

Anyways I'd probably like Sand Veil/Snow Cloak banned under evasion clause and Chomp retested, since those aren't inherently broken on their own and missing vs Gliscor has similar effects as missing vs. Chomp, in fact Sand Veil lets it beat one of its 'counters' in Rotom-W.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    idk I'm still wondering where those sediments are tbh.

Yeah idgi why those forms of evasion aren't banned really, especially when Stone Edge/Focus Miss are common, decreasing their chances of hitting isn't really a good thing. :x

Izanagi.

Playing God
    Years
  • Personally I would love for Sand Veil/Snow Cloak to be banned under evasion clause. I still have nightmares about early BW OU where chomp was winning games off crucial misses. Chomp would be awesome to have back in the metagame, as without sand veil he's still a super mon that has lots of options.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    This place is so dead :( Time to bring something up or whatever!! Do you guys think B2/W2 will change anything within the current tiers? Anything y'all want the games to do to battling by extending movesets or getting certain Pokemon in the Dream World, unlocking DW abilities for other Pokemon? Or that they'll throw competitive battling a curveball, idk.

Izanagi.

Playing God
    Years
  • I would like it if they brought move tutors back. At the same time it seems like a horrifying idea because if **** like haxorus got fire punch there'd be no stopping it. If move tutors were available it probably would have an impact on the metagame. Certainly the release of other pokes DW abilities would do something to this metagame too. Though I haven't really kept track so I don't know what all is out there. I feel like this will change the metagame like Platinum did in 4th gen.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...that would be awesome :x but idk it might jump to ubers idk I don't remember it enough.

But yeah move tutors could also give us stuff like moxie DD outrage Mence since the DW only allows half of that. :(

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Maybe Pokemon will get newer DW abilties like Ferrothorn/Ferroseed with Sturdy or Growth, Hydreigon with Moxie, Shedinja with Sturdy, and Cofragigus with Cursed Body or something like that xD

Maybe new moves/movepools like Kyurem getting Frost Breath/Sheer Cold for a change and maybe Emolga/Pachirisu getting Volt Tackle through special breeding or something xD

Then again if that happened, tiers would probably change drastically and ban/demote a lot of Pokemon in a snap xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    You do realise Shedinja with Sturdy would be completely useless, given Wonder Guard is like the only reason anyone ever uses it lol. Ferro with sturdy would be okay I guess. I want Sawk w/ whatever makes it unstoppable. Moxie or something!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • You do realise Shedinja with Sturdy would be completely useless, given Wonder Guard is like the only reason anyone ever uses it lol. Ferro with sturdy would be okay I guess. I want Sawk w/ whatever makes it unstoppable. Moxie or something!

If Shedinja did have Sturdy, then wouldn't it activate for every hit it takes? (making it immune to battle damage, but not passive damage)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Oh wait maybe, idk. I was thinking it'd work like a sash, lol. :x So nvm, that would actually be worse to face than rn but I don't think they'd allow it to avoid EVERY attack.

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
  • Shedinja could then be made Uber somehow if that happened since only poison/burn/sand/hail can destroy it xD

Besides, Shedinja has a strong shell that protected Nincada while evolving into Ninjask so it's reasonable for it to have Sturdy as a hidden move xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back