• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Complaints thread

What Odd Egg did you get in Crystal?

• Pichu

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Igglybuff

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Cleffa

Votes: 26 12.3%
  • Magby

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • Elekid

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Smoochum

Votes: 31 14.7%
  • Tyrogue

Votes: 27 12.8%
  • I didn't have Pokemon Crystal.

Votes: 84 39.8%

• Total voters

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
  • It's gonna lack that replayability for me ... :(
    I however HATE the Sinnoh one ! Except for the Arcade and probably the Hall when I'm bored, EVERYTHING is RUBBISH !! :( :(
    It is a great dissapointment for me . But it is so to ensure compatibility beetween HGSS and DPPt (DP just Battle Tower) . I guess we'll have to live with that .. T_T

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I don't see it as a disappointment per se, but having some HG/SS exclusive facilities would have been nice (or maybe porting over that one Battle Facility from Emerald with the tournament style brackets... it was my favorite in that game).

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2010
    it's looking like they're just gonna have one battle frontier for each new gen.
    i dont see where you get that at. everytime there has been a battle frontier in a game, it changed when the generation changed.

first frontier was in emerald. the second was in platinum. they are completely different. the one in hgss is the same as platinum because their the same generation.

i dont care about the frontier. i dont play in it

Vnusaur

President of Sinnoh
    Years
  • Sinnoh's > Johto's because of THE DANG MUSIC; Sinnoh's Battle Frontier Music was enjoyable, epic, & original. JOHTO'S, HOWEVER, WAS NOTHING BUT A REMAKE OF CRYSTAL'S BATTLE TOWER MUSIC AND SINNOH'S BATTLE FRONTIER MUSIC! They just mucked it up so badly that I RARELY go there anymore in Johto!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Sinnoh/Johto Battle Frontier is horrendous.

Emerald was good, they were all totally different, and, like TheAppleFreak, I like the Battle Dome.

So, not a dissapointment in Hg/Ss, as I was dissapointed before that came out.

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • It seems to me that Game Freak kept the Battle Frontier the same for two reasons. The first is for compatibility with Platinum so HG/SS/Pt can do the Battle Frontier over Wi-Fi. The second is that Game Freak probably didn't want to spend time and effort designing a new Battle Frontier when they preferred to spend that time and effort on other parts of the game. Chances are if they made a completely new Battle Frontier, there would be a lot less new areas throughout Johto and Kanto. So Game Freak basically had three choices:
    -Have no Battle Frontier or anything of the sort
    -Have a Battle Tower but nothing else, similar to D/P
    -Copy over Platinum's Battle Frontier

Out of those three choices, I think they chose the best option.

umbreon_4_life

aka Commander Mars
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2012
    I think it's fine. I'm glad it was like Platinum's because I lost my game, so now I get to relive my Battle Frontier life! =D Yippeeee!!! *Goes to battle at the frontier*

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    There was only a tower in Sinnoh, what are you talking about? Or is it something exclusive to Platinum, which I DO NOT HAVE?

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • There was only a tower in Sinnoh, what are you talking about? Or is it something exclusive to Platinum, which I DO NOT HAVE?
    Yeah, the Frontier was only in Platinum before. I don't mind that it's the same, in fact I think it's better that way for the compatibility. It's not like I really ever go there anyway unless I have a friend that wants to do it with me.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Merged your complaint on the Johto Battle Frontier here. There's always been a lot of mixed feelings about this though since it was known earlier last year. In my opinion, yes it's the same, but I understand the reasons why they did it. For instance compatibility between DPPt and HG/SS' Battle Facilities being a major one.

Distortion World

Steel/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2010
    I Want My V.S Seeker!

Who else would of liked the V.S Seeker in Hg/Ss?

I know I would of, since you can't rebattle everyone with the phone and even with the phone, you have to wait forever just to get ONE rematch.

And check this out:
    Complaints thread

So Red gets a V.S Seeker and we don't?!?!?!?!

I rest my case.

Benjamin510

The King of Typio's!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2016
    WHAT THE CARP! For My Sake! Just Because he Was The First Male Playable Char To Have it Does not Mean We Don't!

rockman0

I still claim Luxray!
    Years
  • I don't really mind not having the VS. Seeker. I wanted the Phone in Sinnoh and besides, I'm constantly getting rematch calls that it's kinda annoying. You can have some if you want... :)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Merged Vs. Seeker complaint here.

To be honest though, I wish the Vs. Seeker could have been added in. Calls are nice, yes, but they can also be annoying at the same time. :\

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    One good thing: you don't have to charge it.

I like how there's unlimited rematches with people.For example, training my new team (I got bored after defeating Clair with a traded-over Dialga, and rebuilt), I just battled this "Ace Trainer Jamie" outside victory road, went inside, called, went out, battled, and repeated!

I dislike, well, the amount of steps for the pokewalker's good pokemon, like those Pikachus.

I don't get why you can't fly from, say...New Bark Town to Pallet Town, but have to go to Indigo Plateau.

Although, at least when you arrive there, it has a cool name, unlike "Pokemon League" in the other games :)

Japas

Monotype'n it.
    Years
  • I would imagine that this has already been touched on a lot in this thread, but my only real complaint about these games is your inability to delete phone numbers from the PokeGear. I've grow to just ignore it, but geez, if you don't want to battle or give me items, then please, keep your encounters with wild Pokemon to yourselves :cer_blankstare:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Kay my issues with HG, although a lot have been probably stated idc.

- The grass, ew.
    - The little holes in the grass.
    - The fact that the dowsing machine is... idk, I preferred itemfinder though probably because I misplaced my stylus and I have to use my finger.
    - No grass patch before Sudowoodo tree.
    - The gyms, omg, I hate the gyms so much, they're so hard to get through, (Whitney, Bugsy, Pryce, Claire, Blue, Surge -- yes I'm aware it's the same but I hate it and Erika being examples of this.)
    - The fact that you need so many repels because there are just so many wild pkmn.
    - The pokeflute channel would be so much better if it was one of the 4 options and you didn't have to search for it.
    - Suicune's location and the fact that the clear bell has lost its importance.
    - Ho-Oh's tower thingie was a disappointment, although Lugia's cave thing was omfg awesome.
    - The fact that in certain places Pokemon just repeat emotions when talking to them.
    - Apricorns being everywhere as opposed to berries.
    - The photographer, it's interesting to find him... just kind of annoying.
    - Lage of Rage, omg ruined imo. I hate how it's like a water puzzle... I dunno, I preferred how it looked before.
    - Battle Frontier - haven't played games with the BF in it before and to me it's kinda... pointless, I miss the battle tower thing it had in the past.
    - Safari Zone - I like the area leading up to it, but it still seems kinda far away and the Pokemon are harder to catch than in other Safari Zone's.
    - Too many rare candies, I dunno, I love rare candies but it seemed as if there were a lot more than there were in other games. I mean, somewhere you could even buy them (Or was that nuggets? Probably both.) Yeah, too many nuggets too.
    - Ilex Forest... just seemed like updated graphics, not much has changed besides the stupid stick thing, much easier in the past.
    - Underleveled wild Pokemon.
    - Mt Silver is weird, it reminds me of Sinnoh by having the snow and such, original Mt Silver was better.
    - The inclusion of Sinnoh Pokemon. I would've preferred Johto/Kanto only Pokemon, but meh. I have nothing against Hoenn Pokemon though.
    - Victory Road... seems kinda small when compared to Hoenn's.
    - An Indigo Plateau like R/B/Y's would've been nice.
    - Would've been nice if this game was set AFTER Gold/Silver, so that Cinnabar could've been remade, oh well
    - Saffron, meh, not much has changed there, could've improved on it.

I dunno, overall for me it just lacks the nostalgia/expectations that would've made them better for me. It was kinda hard too, so meh. I prefer the original Gold/Crystal to HG. I guess I just expected too much of Game Freak. I could find more issues with it, but that's based purely on nostalgia reasons, the ones I stated... aren't as much.

Though I love Voltorb Flip.

Last edited:
    Back