• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Complete FireRed Upgrade

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    So there is

include\constants\tmhms.h in CFRU that looks like this

#pragma once

#include "moves.h"

#define ITEM_TM01_FOCUS_PUNCH 289
    #define ITEM_TM02_DRAGON_CLAW 290
    #define ITEM_TM03_WATER_PULSE 291
    #define ITEM_TM04_CALM_MIND 292
    #define ITEM_TM05_ROAR 293
    #define ITEM_TM06_TOXIC 294
    #define ITEM_TM07_HAIL 295
    #define ITEM_TM08_BULK_UP 296
    #define ITEM_TM09_BULLET_SEED 297
    #define ITEM_TM10_HIDDEN_POWER 298
    #define ITEM_TM11_SUNNY_DAY 299
    #define ITEM_TM12_TAUNT 300
    #define ITEM_TM13_ICE_BEAM 301
    #define ITEM_TM14_BLIZZARD 302
    #define ITEM_TM15_HYPER_BEAM 303
    #define ITEM_TM16_LIGHT_SCREEN 304
    #define ITEM_TM17_PROTECT 305
    #define ITEM_TM18_RAIN_DANCE 306
    #define ITEM_TM19_GIGA_DRAIN 307
    #define ITEM_TM20_SAFEGUARD 308
    #define ITEM_TM21_FRUSTRATION 309
    #define ITEM_TM22_SOLARBEAM 310
    #define ITEM_TM23_IRON_TAIL 311
    #define ITEM_TM24_THUNDERBOLT 312
    #define ITEM_TM25_THUNDER 313
    #define ITEM_TM26_EARTHQUAKE 314
    #define ITEM_TM27_RETURN 315
    #define ITEM_TM28_DIG 316
    #define ITEM_TM29_PSYCHIC 317
    #define ITEM_TM30_SHADOW_BALL 318
    #define ITEM_TM31_BRICK_BREAK 319
    #define ITEM_TM32_DOUBLE_TEAM 320
    #define ITEM_TM33_REFLECT 321
    #define ITEM_TM34_SHOCK_WAVE 322
    #define ITEM_TM35_FLAMETHROWER 323
    #define ITEM_TM36_SLUDGE_BOMB 324
    #define ITEM_TM37_SANDSTORM 325
    #define ITEM_TM38_FIRE_BLAST 326
    #define ITEM_TM39_ROCK_TOMB 327
    #define ITEM_TM40_AERIAL_ACE 328
    #define ITEM_TM41_TORMENT 329
    #define ITEM_TM42_FACADE 330
    #define ITEM_TM43_SECRET_POWER 331
    #define ITEM_TM44_REST 332
    #define ITEM_TM45_ATTRACT 333
    #define ITEM_TM46_THIEF 334
    #define ITEM_TM47_STEEL_WING 335
    #define ITEM_TM48_SKILL_SWAP 336
    #define ITEM_TM49_SNATCH 337
    #define ITEM_TM50_OVERHEAT 338
    #define ITEM_HM01_CUT 339
    #define ITEM_HM02_FLY 340
    #define ITEM_HM03_SURF 341
    #define ITEM_HM04_STRENGTH 342
    #define ITEM_HM05_FLASH 343
    #define ITEM_HM06_ROCK_SMASH 344
    #define ITEM_HM07_WATERFALL 345
    #define ITEM_HM08_DIVE 346

But DPE has include/items

Which has a list of TMs too though not named and it goes up to 120. Basically I want to know how both these can be true as I would rather have the 120 TMS and all the new items from the new gens that DPE adds.

All in the config file again, all you need to do is write in you're using 120 tms and 8 HMs.

best way to figure a lot of this out is to just mess around with it, and see what happens.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    I found what I wanted to do so let me explain it better. Both DPE and CFRU have files that deal with TMs and HMS so was confused which ne would win out since it seems confusing to have both. To do a test In DPE I took Rock tomb and changed it to Earth Power. I did so since Brock is the first gym leader and first TM you get so it would be easy to learn it. Luckily when I did it the TM was called Earth Power and did teach it that. That was basically my question if the DPE would replace the TM HM since its confusing when CFRU has its own list of TMs and HMs which are in a different file in the CFRU. So I guess this will be a little tutorial for those who were wondering as well.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I found what I wanted to do so let me explain it better. Both DPE and CFRU have files that deal with TMs and HMS so was confused which ne would win out since it seems confusing to have both. To do a test In DPE I took Rock tomb and changed it to Earth Power. I did so since Brock is the first gym leader and first TM you get so it would be easy to learn it. Luckily when I did it the TM was called Earth Power and did teach it that. That was basically my question if the DPE would replace the TM HM since its confusing when CFRU has its own list of TMs and HMs which are in a different file in the CFRU. So I guess this will be a little tutorial for those who were wondering as well.

Yeah its a bit weird, don't quote me on this but I think..DPE actually adds the TMs & HMs that weren't already in the game, and CFRU just has files for them as references for them so you can change/edit them once everything is expanded.

Like if you tried to apply CFRU without first expanding with DPE, and you set your config to 120 TMs, & tried to give yourself one of the new tms, I think it would just fail, since the data just wouldn't be there. It might not even compile actually.

oh also can't remember if I mentioned this, but for HMs to work correctly you need to go into G3T and change the mystery byte I believe to reflect its position, like HM1 would be either 51, for 50 tms, or 121 for 120 tms.

More info on that I believe can be found in the cfru doc. (maybe?)

You need to put the correct number in for all HMs, otherwise the game will give the wrong ones, can't remember if you do this before or after you apply CFRU, I did it after, haven't tested if it works if you do it before.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    Yeah stuff like that was confusing lel. I might make my own tutorials too but it seems it works. And yeah you need to add the mystery byte of 1 in G3T in order for TMs to be reusable. Adding TMs is easy as you just need to make make one of the unused items have the name of your TM then add it into the world.

Years
  • Is there a way to apply just one part of this? I know that's not really the point, but the reason I'm asking is because I want to just apply the JPAN Hacked Engine so I can insert new overworlds.

With other features of CFRU, you can make changes then test them after running CFRU again, but with expanded overworlds you can't do that because you can't insert them until after running CFRU.

So can you > Just install Hacked Engine with CFRU >Make rest of rom hack >Apply CFRU

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Is there a way to apply just one part of this? I know that's not really the point, but the reason I'm asking is because I want to just apply the JPAN Hacked Engine so I can insert new overworlds.

With other features of CFRU, you can make changes then test them after running CFRU again, but with expanded overworlds you can't do that because you can't insert them until after running CFRU.

So can you > Just install Hacked Engine with CFRU >Make rest of rom hack >Apply CFRU

well its all in the config, you could just uncomment things besides that and see if it works.

OR,

you could just use modexe. With that you can apply just the fireredhacked engine.

Years
  • Thanks for the reply. I did try modexe, but for some reason when I tried to Open+Analyze in Overworld Manager, it wouldn't let me add a table. Yet after inserting CFRU (with Hacked Engine again), it would let me. Odd.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Thanks for the reply. I did try modexe, but for some reason when I tried to Open+Analyze in Overworld Manager, it wouldn't let me add a table. Yet after inserting CFRU (with Hacked Engine again), it would let me. Odd.

don't know anything about adding table, but if you want to add hacked engine without cfru, all you have to do is click the option from modexe to add it.

Years
  • don't know anything about adding table, but if you want to add hacked engine without cfru, all you have to do is click the option from modexe to add it.

The problem I'm having is that applying the hacked engine, making changes and then adding the CFRU is breaking the rom. I assume because the second installation of hacked engine that comes with CFRU is causing a conflict with the first hacked engine installation?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    The problem I'm having is that applying the hacked engine, making changes and then adding the CFRU is breaking the rom. I assume because the second installation of hacked engine that comes with CFRU is causing a conflict with the first hacked engine installation?

well of course it would.

you said before you just wanted the hacked enginge without using cfru.

ok I think it get whats going on, you can make edits after appying cfru.

forget using modexe just apply the hacked engine with cfru, copy that result rom some where, make your tests and changes you want to that copied file.

Set up Hex Maniac Advance to work with your cfru file, (edit the toml as needed) with that you'll be able to move any rom changes (deep copy byte data, and paste into the new rom) you made to your test file afterwards, to a new cfru build should you decide you want to change anything/add new features from CFRU.

As well as make many edits without needing to rebuild. like learnset changes etc.

One of the main draws/purposes of HMA is to make transferring byte changes/added features easily between roms, (usually used for same type of rom, i.e firered to firered.)

But it doesn't necessarily have to be, but of course you should really know what you're doing before you try anything that deep.

Years
  • Whoops maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. No my goal was to add new overworlds using the hacked engine before applying CFRU, with the goal of adding CFRU later, so I could continue building and testing my hack using added overworlds and apply CFRU afterwards. Your advice just then went way over my head haha, so I think I'll just use placeholders for now (like having OWs I plan to replace with added ones later as Red, then add the new overworlds as the final step of my hack after applying CFRU). Thank you for helping though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Hello!
    Are there any heroes out there who has created the few Pokémons, abilites, attacks etc. that is missing from crown tundra?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Whoops maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. No my goal was to add new overworlds using the hacked engine before applying CFRU, with the goal of adding CFRU later, so I could continue building and testing my hack using added overworlds and apply CFRU afterwards. Your advice just then went way over my head haha, so I think I'll just use placeholders for now (like having OWs I plan to replace with added ones later as Red, then add the new overworlds as the final step of my hack after applying CFRU). Thank you for helping though.

I'm saying you can just apply cfru and test everything you need to on that. Without any problems.
    Just use the hacked engine included with cfru.

Lance Koijer 2.0

Lance Koijer
    Years
  • Hi, has anyone encountered the same problem with Dive in CFRU? The tile behavior is correct but when I'm underwater already, the overworld sprite seemed to be incorrect and when pressing A or B, I can't use dive underwater.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    Sorry for not having an answer since I am a total n00b but wanted to ask where the tutorial is for following npcs/pokemon like you have there on your hack.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    hi all, i'm interested in helping to port the CFRU to the pokefirered decomp (or pokeemerald, i'm not picky). are there any projects that are currently trying to do this, or that have made any progress, that i can contribute to?

Last edited:
    Back