• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Contests Return!

Years
    Yes! Nice to get confirmation. I'm a little worried, though. What do you guys think about the dressed up Pikachus? Think it's a dress up part like DPPt Contests or some other thing?

They could be like the Furfrou forms. If the magazine says they are related to contests, maybe Pikachu (and only Pikachu, since they apparently are forms for it according to Serebii) can get dressed up for the contest and it lasts for some time after it, or it gets an outfit as a prize for winning each contest category.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yes! Nice to get confirmation. I'm a little worried, though. What do you guys think about the dressed up Pikachus? Think it's a dress up part like DPPt Contests or some other thing?

They may be formes. Maybe looks only, or maybe something like the Rotom formes. I say this as they have some features (beyond just clothes) that aren't in normal Pikachu such as the big eyebrows on Hard Rock Pikachu. Also they all have a black (I guess you could say shaped like a triangle) spot at the tip of it's tails which aren't in either Male or Female Pikachu. Also they seem to all be female as their tails aren't spiked but heart shaped.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

But there is no confirmation.

CoroCoro didn't straight up say that Contests are back. but there are things like:

This picture:
    Spoiler:

I will admit that this doesn't mean that Contests are 100% confirmed to be back in ORAS, but its really not a huge stretch of the imagination that Contests would return in the remake of the region it debuted in.

All I see is fan pandering with no substance. Its just an assumption right now. That may not be Contests, or they may not be contests as we know them. Could be something similar to the Dance recital thing, We get to dress them up and have them automatically do something with no extra stats involved.

We'll have to wait until next month for the promised extended info, but so far there hasn't been any form of confirmation. Bad fan translation, over-zealous hype. Let's wait for real information to appear before jumping the gun like this.

Actually...we only have to wait a few days. The main site should update to reflect something from CoroCoro like they usually do. So we may get some form of confirmation then.

Years
    All I see is fan pandering with no substance. Its just an assumption right now. That may not be Contests, or they may not be contests as we know them. Could be something similar to the Dance recital thing, We get to dress them up and have them automatically do something with no extra stats involved.

Why would contests be mentioned in the article, then? I'm just curious to hear your reasoning.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Why would contests be mentioned in the article, then? I'm just curious to hear your reasoning.

I don't see Contests mentioned by anyone other than the translator. Which as I said. Bad Translation, Over-zealous hype. Its wanted so since it "Looks" like it exists thats all the rabid fans see.

I see something unrelated to contests. I see an updated Pokemon Amie feature. Could also be like the PR videos from XY. Nothing about the page or the screenshots on the page show anything about an actual contest. All we have is the questionable skills of fan translations, which as of late have had severe issues with accuracy.

Years
    I don't see Contests mentioned by anyone other than the translator. Which as I said. Bad Translation, Over-zealous hype. Its wanted so since it "Looks" like it exists thats all the rabid fans see.

I'm not too well-versed in Japanese, but I do know Katakana rather well. At the bottom of the image, right below Doctor Pikachu, there is the word コンテスト. The literal romanization is "kontesuto", and the actual translation is "contest" or "contests". If you don't believe me, look up the Japanese word for "contest" on https://jisho.org/ (a rather reliable English-Japanese dictionary).

On a related note, the five Pikachus each fit the five contest categories--you have the cool one (Hard Rock), the beautiful one (Madame), the cute one (Idol), the smart one (Doctor), and the tough one (Masked). Certainly, it's possible that they aren't related at all, but in my opinion, it'd be too much of a coincidence.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
    This was literally the only good thing (asides nature introductions) that came from RSE.

Can't wait to trade my XY Pokemon to ORAS, get contest ribbons, and bring 'em back. Ribbbonnnnsss <3!

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I'm not too well-versed in Japanese, but I do know Katakana rather well. At the bottom of the image, right below Doctor Pikachu, there is the word コンテスト. The literal romanization is "kontesuto", and the actual translation is "contest" or "contests". If you don't believe me, look up the Japanese word for "contest" on https://jisho.org/ (a rather reliable English-Japanese dictionary).

On a related note, the five Pikachus each fit the five contest categories--you have the cool one (Hard Rock), the beautiful one (Madame), the cute one (Idol), the smart one (Doctor), and the tough one (Masked). Certainly, it's possible that they aren't related at all, but in my opinion, it'd be too much of a coincidence.

It was too much of a coincidence that there were Emeralds in Clay's Gym back in Gen 5.

What you say makes sense when you put it out like this, but there still isn't any actual showing of Contest play. I see PR video like quality and updated Pokemon Amie. It doesn't even look like something that would be part of the Traditional Pokemon Contests and Super Contests were a completely different take on the contests.

If its anything, it is a time waster as it very well should be. Something to take a break from the main game and do. If its like Super Contests then they ruined contests for this game. I'd be more willing to accept Gen 5's performance thing. That was at least cute. Even a PR video that you can make and share with friends. But Super Contests in the remake that had the original contests? The only redeeming quality of the Gen 3 games? Please no.

Is it possible to translate that full line? There was a lot more writing down there and if its something about holding a contest people gunna be mad. Since that has happened before as well.

Years
    They said they're going to talk more about the Pikachu's next time. If the official site doesn't elaborate we'll find out in next month's issue for sure.
    Super contests weren't that bad, why the hate on them? Way better than Unova's stale musicals imo, you didn't get a reward for those...

Years
    If the Pikachu costumes have nothing to do with contests, it'll go down as a hilarious coincidence that they each match up with a contest stat. In any case, I wouldn't mind if contests in Hoenn do get some upgrades, but they need to make sure not to convert them into what Sinnoh's contests were like. RSE's Contests were much better in my opinion, and they'd do well not to stray from the originals in this regard.

Can't deny how cute those Pikachus are though, ah. :3

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    If the Pikachu costumes have nothing to do with contests, it'll go down as a hilarious coincidence that they each match up with a contest stat. In any case, I wouldn't mind if contests in Hoenn do get some upgrades, but they need to make sure not to convert them into what Sinnoh's contests were like. RSE's Contests were much better in my opinion, and they'd do well not to stray from the originals in this regard.

Can't deny how cute those Pikachus are though, ah. :3

I noticed that, considering Madame Pikachu is based on the Beauty Stat, the Rock Hard Pikachu on the Cool Stat, Idol Pikachu on the Cute Stat, Doctor Pikachu on the Smart Stat, and Masked Pikachu on the Tough Stat.

Also noticable with the colors of the outfits matching up with the colors of the stats, with Blue, Red, Pink, Green, and Orange, respectively.

Years
    Anyone else than me noticed that they're all female (look at the heart tail)? I notice that the costumed themselves seem feminine. Doctor Pikachu even has piggy tails like a stereotypical smart girl in anime. I wonder if male Pikachu will look different in those costumes. Like Monsieur Pikachu instead of Madame, and a male idol pikachu wearing funny male idol pants that some may consider cute.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Is it possible to translate that full line? There was a lot more writing down there and if its something about holding a contest people gunna be mad. Since that has happened before as well.

They're definitely contest related. Okay, I guess it isn't 100% confirmation, it's more like implied confirmation. They point out contests at the bottom, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do that if there wasn't some correlation. Just like how they did with the Primal Reversals, they were like "Wow, they look different!" but never actually said they were.

The text at the bottom of this screenshot, "ここは何かのコンテスト会場?" which translates to "Koko wa nanika kontesuto kaijou?" means something like "Is some sort of contest here?" or uh, "Here is the contest venue?" I'm not very good with kanji yet (会場) but I know that translates to kaijou, and the kanji they used isn't the one used to mean start but instead "meeting place" I think. I had to google that part but I know the first is definitely talking about "here" and contests. The "here" they're referencing is the photo of a dressed up Pikachu on some stage.

Years
    I thought up of something they could add. Maybe each contest hall has their own unique quirk for te first (or second half) One can have Dancing like in Sinnoh. Another can have musical like dancing, another have acting like in Pokéstudios, and another could be simple. Thus giving each hall something unique other than just what class of contest you can find.

Or maybe a unique thing for each of the 5 contest stats. Like dancing for Coolness (look at Hard Rock Pikachu), modeling for Beauty, A memory mini quiz for Smartness, A simple dress up musical style for Cuteness, and a wrestling mini game for Toughness.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    This newest insert has me wondering a lot about contests.
    I was already excited for them to begin with but to see miss 'Madame Pikachu' and all of her outfits make me wonder if they'll actually make a bunch of outfits similar that maybe certain Pokemon can wear? I might be thoroughly disappointed if it's Pikachu-only, but I doubt they'll do that to us. XD;

I'm pretty sure they're related to contests anyway with the outfits matching the themes as well as the colors... has that even been confirmed? What a tease.

Anyway I'm hella happy to see contests are back because yay I love contests and wow outfits!! Can't wait to see what all has changed with contests.

Years
    This newest insert has me wondering a lot about contests.
    I was already excited for them to begin with but to see miss 'Madame Pikachu' and all of her outfits make me wonder if they'll actually make a bunch of outfits similar that maybe certain Pokemon can wear? I might be thoroughly disappointed if it's Pikachu-only, but I doubt they'll do that to us. XD;

I'm pretty sure they're related to contests anyway with the outfits matching the themes as well as the colors... has that even been confirmed? What a tease.

Anyway I'm hella happy to see contests are back because yay I love contests and wow outfits!! Can't wait to see what all has changed with contests.
    They've given Pikachu things only it has. Like a game where it can't evolve, the only one with an anime cry, and the most event moves ever (even some that don't fit as well such as surf and fly). I wonder if they're Pikachu only if it'll have moves exclusive to these costumes. I think that there's a chance (like 40 percent) that they may be Pikachu exclusive formes inspired by contests.

Years
    Wonder if we'll be able to buy costumes for our Pokemon in the same shops that sell clothing for the character, if customization is brought back from Kalos. Obviously, there wouldn't be specialized outfits for each and every Pokemon, but having general ones that can be applied to all of them would work. Also intrigued to hear how it affects Contest judging.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I still think the outfits are reserved for starters, baby Pokemon, and Pikachu. Maybe you get plus points if the Pokemon wears the appropriate clothing, minus if wearing the wrong one?

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I really dislike how they make special things only for certain Pokemon ;; I think it should be all or none, especially with something silly like dress up.

What kind of contests would you prefer to appear? Classic RSE ones, or 3-stage DPPt ones? For the Appeals stage in either version, would you like multiple judges or just one?

Back