• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Contests Return!

Years
  • Damn, it has been so long since I last played a Hoenn game. I totally lost touch with how the actual contest works. (Those black hearts and stuff)

GF made some subtle changes to the naming. I remembered it was 'beauty', not 'beautiful'. Not complaining though.
    And yes, I remember Yato's post saying that it's now "clever" instead of "smart".

It was really surprising Smart got renamed Clever since I felt like the names were perfect as they were, but apparently Smart was called Clever in the Japanese version so it is interesting they are going along the Japanese naming route with the Contests this time around.

The ranks are still left as Normal, Super, Hyper and Master. While Super and Hyper weren't Poke Ball types in English, they were what the Great and Ultra Balls were called respectively in Japanese.

Years
  • I'm excited for the return of contests! I wonder how they would be different from the past contests of Hoenn or even the Super Contests of Sinnoh. Essentially, contests were pretty much the only fun I can remember having in the post-game of Ruby and Sapphire.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm excited for the return of contests! I wonder how they would be different from the past contests of Hoenn or even the Super Contests of Sinnoh. Essentially, contests were pretty much the only fun I can remember having in the post-game of Ruby and Sapphire.

It seems to be essentially the same as the originals.

Also the ability to communicate with friends returns: "First, using communication features, you can play together with your friends." (source: Official ORAS site)

Last edited:
    Years
  • These new Contest details are very exciting! What Pokemon do you guys plan on entering first?

I can't recall the first Pokemon I entered in the originals, but I have a prized Roselia in Ruby who was my only Pokemon to ever win a Master Rank Contest. It was the Beauty category in her case, even though her moveset wasn't well designed for it yet she still somehow won by luck. Prior to her success, I didn't even know what the empty paintings in the Lilycove Museum were for, but it turns out it's for Master Rank Contest winners so I can't wait to see that museum in OR/AS given how beautiful Hoenn looks in the 3D.

I am kinda pissed they followed the Hoenn Contest format and kept the black hearts aka "jamming" instead of following the Sinnoh Contests' format. The jamming was the one thing I hated about Hoenn's Contests because it made the whole thing into a "luck-based mission" such as hoping you don't become too nervous to move or hope the opponents don't deduct too many points from you.

Years
  • I can't recall the first Pokemon I entered in the originals, but I have a prized Roselia in Ruby who was my only Pokemon to ever win a Master Rank Contest. It was the Beauty category in her case, even though her moveset wasn't well designed for it yet she still somehow won by luck. Prior to her success, I didn't even know what the empty paintings in the Lilycove Museum were for, but it turns out it's for Master Rank Contest winners so I can't wait to see that museum in OR/AS given how beautiful Hoenn looks in the 3D.

I am kinda pissed they followed the Hoenn Contest format and kept the black hearts aka "jamming" instead of following the Sinnoh Contests' format. The jamming was the one thing I hated about Hoenn's Contests because it made the whole thing into a "luck-based mission" such as hoping you don't become too nervous to move or hope the opponents don't deduct too many points from you.

Irc the "Too Nervous to Move" was due to the moves of the preceding Pokemon, such them using disable.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think I will probably just pick a random Pokemon on my team which has a lot of moves in any category in order to compete, haha. I eventually want to recreate my Beauty and Cool Contest allstars, my Blaziken and Milotic! But I don't plan to use any of those Pokemon the first time around, so they'll have to wait.

Years
  • I think I will probably just pick a random Pokemon on my team which has a lot of moves in any category in order to compete, haha. I eventually want to recreate my Beauty and Cool Contest allstars, my Blaziken and Milotic! But I don't plan to use any of those Pokemon the first time around, so they'll have to wait.

That is what I did for most of the contests after my first. (actually only reason I picked Treekco for my first contest was due to it having the most cool move at the time). I may recreate Ruby's team from the manga for contests (but I'll need to trade over a Swampert first)...

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2014
    It sucks that I got into Pokemon contests right when my internal battery died so I couldn't get more berries...

OliveCopper

Captain of Olive Kappa
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    You guys know that it IS possible for Cosplay Pikachu to be either gender. No official source states Cosplay Pikachu's gender, therefore, it can be male. I'm not sure if male Cosplay Pikachu have a different tail design as the female Cosplay Pikachu, or will both genders have that heart-shaped mark on the end of its tail.

And here's hoping this computer doesn't double post...

EDIT: It didn't, phew...

Years
  • You guys know that it IS possible for Cosplay Pikachu to be either gender. No official source states Cosplay Pikachu's gender, therefore, it can be male. I'm not sure if male Cosplay Pikachu have a different tail design as the female Cosplay Pikachu, or will both genders have that heart-shaped mark on the end of its tail.

And here's hoping this computer doesn't double post...

EDIT: It didn't, phew...

It doesn't, but a screenshot shows Cosplay Pikachu as female, and we know that it is a special Pikachu. Since it appears to be a gift (as the site says we get it in the official site) and in game gift Pokemon (and even most wi-fi gifts) tend to have a set gender it's very likely it'll be only female.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Yuck... the last time that I've touched one of those contests was when I was playing R/S on an emulator. Even at the lowest tier contests I was having a pretty hard time with it. Contests are a completely different thing compared to normal fights, & they're a concept that I'll likely will never grasp.

Thus, I'm not even going to look at them in ORAS, as I don't want to relive that experience that I had earlier. After all, I never went into them in D/P/Pt.

Years
  • I'm hoping they veer away from DPPt contests and make them more like they were in RSE. Some features from Sinnoh can remain, but overall I liked the Hoenn variant more.

Years
  • I'm hoping they veer away from DPPt contests and make them more like they were in RSE. Some features from Sinnoh can remain, but overall I liked the Hoenn variant more.

According to this screenshot, they are apparently going to follow the RSE format:

Spoiler:

Notice how it has the "jamming" rate (aka deduction of points from the opponents) alongside the appeal. That was sadly the only thing I didn't like about Hoenn's contests, it turned them into more of a luck-based thing, but the Mega Evolution for an appeal when you max the judge's meter out is a nice twist to make it still fresh while retaining the original elements.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    So....besides the being able to Mega Evolve when the meter's maxed out, is there anything else to make contests different from how they were in R/S/E?

Years
  • So....besides the being able to Mega Evolve when the meter's maxed out, is there anything else to make contests different from how they were in R/S/E?

Graphically speaking they changed the stage up. In terms of moves we got more of them compared to RSE. Other than those obvious changes and the Mega evolution mechanic they haven't shown much else.

Back