• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Controller cleanliness

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When friends come over, don't you hate it when they finish their slice of pizza or whatever and then just dust off their hands and pick up your controller. I always tell my friends, go wash your hands so you don't get pizza grease on my controllers.

I'm OCD about the cleanliness of my controllers. Making sure there's no mold build-up from sweating, or checking to see if it feels sticky. Do you guys take extra care of your controllers or do you really not care?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I wouldn't play with a sticky controller but I also don't make people wash their hands before they play with me. I guess the people I hang out with are cleaner than most because I've heard this before but I've literally never had a friend not wipe their hands if they had grease on them before touching other things (often even their own cups).

Also my controllers have never molded. That's revolting.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    Honestly, I have this.. thing.. about hands and hand-germs and..
    You have to wash your hands before you touch pretty much anything in my room. Or me. I don't want to hug you or shake your hand or anything unless I know you're clean. Hands just freak me out.. :v

That said -- controllers, specifically, are not so much of an issue. My father, my best friend, and my boyfriend all have their own controllers here, and other guests just use my dad's or my friend's, usually.
    Still, wash your hands pls.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't really care too much about grease or anything, but like, don't touch my ****ing controller with cheeto fingers unless you want to die. If you spill something on the controller I expect it to be cleaned up but for the most part it's no big deal, finger foods are eaten either in a cup or with a knife and fork. If the controller is beyond being cleaned then you're paying for half of a new one.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
    Years
  • If you've got anything stick on your hands, you can bet you aren't touching my controller for anything until it's gone.

I can't stand when people with grubby hands grab anything of mine, especially a video game controller or TV remote. It's just rude, and completely unsanitary. I probably sound like a freak but there's no way I'd even consider touching my own controller/remote with anything on my hands, unless I was in the middle of an online game, and even then I'd promptly clean the controller with a cloth or something.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I have the same problem when people want to use my 3DS. I hate it when people treat it like junk with grubby fingers and when the slam down as hard as they can on the buttons. I don't really like anyone I'm not good friends with using my stuff, but I'm okay with controllers, basically because I don't play my PS3 anymore. However, I'm sure that will change when I get my hands on a Wii U....

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • If you're at my house and you're playing my console which I PAID FOR, you are NOT putting your slimy, greasy hands on my controller.

NO.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2015
    If your hands are covered in junk and you don't clean them off when it's a good time to do so, congratulations we aren't friends because you're a filthy animal. I don't mind that your hands have gotten dirty, it happens to everyone. When you get a chance, wash your hands. As far as people getting actual chunks of food stuck on their hands, I've never met anyone like that and I want to keep it that way.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • My brother is terrible for that. He always played on my laptop with disgusting grubby fingers. Most other people I accept as being decently hygenic and I'm ok with them using my controllers/laptop. But do not do so ten seconds after dipping your hands into a bag or crisps/potato chips and licking your fingers clean. *Shivers*

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • My friends were all gamers also so I never had this issue much. We were always taking care of our stuff. One thing that fits here though is how I lost one of my controllers. I had it in a box while I was moving, and had a lot of different stuff in the box. Unfortunately, one of the things in that box was a small bottle of super glue... which spilled out only on the controllers for some reason. So I had a controller with lots of buttons that didn't work. >.<

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I used to be a little concerned about things like this when I was a kid; every time I (or anyone else) would touch something I value--such as some handheld console, for example--I'd make sure that mine (or their) hands are clean, so that things don't get inside and wind up screw things up. Though, I began to loosen up more and more as time went on, and nowadays, I honestly don't consider it much of a huge deal.

Whenever someone touches my controllers (or anything else like) without paying any attention to how dirty their hands might possibly be, I let them proceed without any question. If they do get dirty, I'd simply clean them by end of the week.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • My controllers are clean. I will occasionally go at it with a q-tip and cleaning wipe.

They are well-worn though. Control sticks on my GCN controllers have fallen off

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Yes. Yes yes yes.

My game-things are my babies, and they will not be touched by greasy, slimy, dusty hands and fingers.

Years
  • Well, my friends I'm not concerned about because we are grown-ups so we know better than to defile others' possessions.

TY

This is why I play on PC, I can just unplug my keyboard and mouse from it and say "glhf" to whoever wanted to play on my PC :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I usually wash my hands before using my controllers, so I don't have to worry about them getting dirty.

Back