• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Corocoro (release for July) and E3 Speculation and Discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    He might have lacked official artwork but there had to have been some artwork done to solidify his design before turning it into a sprite. People felt Kris's redesign into Lyra was a radical change, even though Kris had a fair amount of official art. And Sabrina was changed...quite drastically for HGSS. So I don't think having official art really has anything to do with who they decide to change.

Lyra is considered by Gf to be another character instead of a redesign (I still think of her as a redesign though). Sabrina...I guess her change is similar to Aqua and Brendan getting much tanner skin, and in the case of Aqua style.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Except Kris and Lyra aren't technically the same character.

Lyra is considered by Gf to be another character instead of a redesign (I still think of her as a redesign though). Sabrina...I guess her change is similar to Aqua and Brendan getting much tanner skin, and in the case of Aqua style.

All I've ever seen regarding that is that Lyra was "designed from scratch," but technically Ethan isn't the same character as Gold because Gold never appears as an NPC in GSC but Ethan can be an NPC in HGSS. So unless someone from Game Freak actually said "Lyra is not the same character as the Crystal female protagonist," it's hard to say either way, because after seeing Tabitha's new design I'm fairly certain that was designed from scratch, too.

And even if we consider Kris and Lyra separate characters, since Kris also never appeared as an NPC, to replace the female player character is still considered a drastic change in design.

And yes, Team Aqua also got pretty major redesigns, too. Archie looks incredibly different from before, so it's clear Game Freak isn't against changing characters who not only had official art, but also played prominent roles in the anime and other media.

Years
    All I've ever seen regarding that is that Lyra was "designed from scratch," but technically Ethan isn't the same character as Gold because Gold never appears as an NPC in GSC but Ethan can be an NPC in HGSS. So unless someone from Game Freak actually said "Lyra is not the same character as the Crystal female protagonist," it's hard to say either way, because after seeing Tabitha's new design I'm fairly certain that was designed from scratch, too.

And even if we consider Kris and Lyra separate characters, since Kris also never appeared as an NPC, to replace the female player character is still considered a drastic change in design.

And yes, Team Aqua also got pretty major redesigns, too. Archie looks incredibly different from before, so it's clear Game Freak isn't against changing characters who not only had official art, but also played prominent roles in the anime and other media.

Archie looks the least different imo, the only change I see is the tan and the clothes.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Everyone got a "clothing and skin color change" though by that logic lol. Shelly's hair color is just also different. Archie's facial hair is different, I think, and his clothes are 100% different so if you think about it's very drastic. Maxie just got boots and I think the top is different? Plus glasses. I really think everything is very different from the originals.

Years
    Everyone got a "clothing and skin color change" though by that logic lol. Shelly's hair color is just also different. Archie's facial hair is different, I think, and his clothes are 100% different so if you think about it's very drastic. Maxie just got boots and I think the top is different? Plus glasses. I really think everything is very different from the originals.

Except for Tabitha and Matt who got different body shapes and faces...

Years
    Darn.. They turned my favorite badass team admin into a fat weirdo dude :(
    Tabitha used my favorite pokemon, looked badass both in-game and in the anime! And in the anime he's one of the rare bad guy not to have had his pokemon faint to Ash's or to a bad plot device, yet he fought with the protagonists and the team rocket trio..
    Oh well.. At least they did good with Courtney I guess.. :*(

And now Archie wears tights, and looks less classy/vilainous than he used to.. I'm not sure about Shelly either..

And I really don't see why the trainer re-design was necessary.. They look anorexic now.. Nice message to send young people.. And honestly, May's and Brendan's clothes were some of my favorite protagonist clothing in the Pokemon series.. But, not anymore I guess.. :(

I got a bad feeling now about what they'll reveal at E3.. I hope they won't get too much of my hopes up.. :/
    You might be the only person I agree with on this subject, a lot of the redesigns didnt feel like they fixed anything on the old characters but just rearranged them to fit in with X/Y's art direction which already had its problems with genericism and archytpical concepts. I really don't like what they did with May, I don't like how they did nothing but age her down, took away the seriousness of her skill and made her into this cute-looking subservant little-sister looking character like Shauna.... which I honestly cant stand. More so I'm disturbed about how plain her outfit is along with it. Instead of the highly stylized pokemon themed clothing she used to have, how shes wearing some typical female moe appeal.

Brendan I have the least problem with, the Wet-suit styled clothing, though impractical at least makes sense and looks consistant as opposed to May's apparent mash up of random things thrown together. If she was given the same wetsuit theme I'd be pretty fine with that... its just that huge bow that bugs me. I liked may because she looked tough, and badass, in her original scheme... now she just looks like an ametuer first-timer... Man...

I'd be a bit better at ease with Brendan if he didnt have that exaggerated, anime happy-go-lucky look in his face from that picture. It was fine when he had that normal smile in the old artwork and confident look, now he looks weird to stare at.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    You might be the only person I agree with on this subject, a lot of the redesigns didnt feel like they fixed anything on the old characters but just rearranged them to fit in with X/Y's art direction which already had its problems with genericism and archytpical concepts. I really don't like what they did with May, I don't like how they did nothing but age her down, took away the seriousness of her skill and made her into this cute-looking subservant little-sister looking character like Shauna.... which I honestly cant stand. More so I'm disturbed about how plain her outfit is along with it. Instead of the highly stylized pokemon themed clothing she used to have, how shes wearing some typical female moe appeal.

Brendan I have the least problem with, the Wet-suit styled clothing, though impractical at least makes sense and looks consistant as opposed to May's apparent mash up of random things thrown together. If she was given the same wetsuit theme I'd be pretty fine with that... its just that huge bow that bugs me. I liked may because she looked tough, and badass, in her original scheme... now she just looks like an ametuer fist-timer... Man...

I'd be a bit better at ease with Brendan if he didnt look so overly derp-happy in that picture. It was fine when he had that smile in the old artwork and confident look, now he looks weird to stare at.

Don't you think you're looking at May way too harshly? Her design is based pretty tight on her original Ruby/Sapphire concept art (see: her hand/leg positions) except her appearance was updated to fit the more recent styles of art. For instance, she wasn't gonna be kept short and stocky (compared to her now tall and skinny design) because the art models are considerably larger nowadays and her bandanna's position hardly reflects on her character. It's just wrapped around her head in a thinner bound than it used to be, from what I can see.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
    The only thing about Brendan's design I'm disappointed about is that they showed some of his brown hair xD. I for one, wouldve loved for the "Brendan has white hair" joke to continue. cx

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    The only thing about Brendan's design I'm disappointed about is that they showed some of his brown hair xD. I for one, wouldve loved for the "Brendan has white hair" joke to continue. cx

This is why my avatar frustrates me! XD; see the little shock of white hair? yeah

Years
    Don't you think you're looking at May way too harshly? Her design is based pretty tight on her original Ruby/Sapphire concept art (see: her hand/leg positions) except her appearance was updated to fit the more recent styles of art. For instance, she wasn't gonna be kept short and stocky (compared to her now tall and skinny design) because the art models are considerably larger nowadays and her bandanna's position hardly reflects on her character. It's just wrapped around her head in a thinner bound than it used to be, from what I can see.
    I feel it necessary to be harsh on her because I honestly cant see how the redesign bettered her. An update to me means to redo, not remake. Her emerald outfit was an update.

Them making her super skinny too is also a bit of a head scratcher, her stalky body was more realistic of a 10 year old. Though, its not whether shes tall or bowl-legged as she is now; I can live with it. But what they did in this "new" art direction was just too over the top, even for a remake, look at Red and Ethan. They still at least mirror their old selves but have more detail to their original outfits. Arguably they did more for Brendan in the same respect. They completely redressed may with no intentions or idea of theme whatsoever besides just making her cute - because all female protagonists must be adnorable at priority right? Not in my regard. The thing with her bandanna is that the bands were swept to the back, this ribbon is thrown to the front of her head. Thus negating her badassary in favour of making her supposidly more innocent and naive, babyish even. I don't like moe fodder.

I also don't want any of the female Gym Leaders or Elite Four to become over-sexualized, they had perfectly fine designs originally.)
    I hope they don't ruin my Winnona.

Winnona > Skyla. Yes I said it. Design wise at least. I miss the fiece, warrior feel the old gym leaders used to have. I dont like all this fanservice and moe pollution used just to appeal to that audience. Where are my strong tough women? at?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years

Winnona > Skyla. Yes I said it. Design wise at least. I miss the fiece, warrior feel the old gym leaders used to have. I dont like all this fanservice and moe pollution used just to appeal to that audience. Where are my strong tough women? at?

If I may add, Shelly sure looks fierce as ♥♥♥♥.

DJTiki

Years
    I feel it necessary to be harsh on her because I honestly cant see how the redesign bettered her. An update to me means to redo, not remake. Her emerald outfit was an update.

Them making her super skinny too is also a bit of a head scratcher, her stalky body was more realistic of a 10 year old. Though, its not whether shes tall or bowl-legged as she is now; I can live with it. But what they did in this "new" art direction was just too over the top, even for a remake, look at Red and Ethan. They still at least mirror their old selves but have more detail to their original outfits. Arguably they did more for Brendan in the same respect. They completely redressed may with no intentions or idea of theme whatsoever besides just making her cute - because all female protagonists must be adnorable at priority right? Not in my regard. I don't like moe fodder.

There all having a couple drinks and fried magikarps with Skyla.

Years

Them making her super skinny too is also a bit of a head scratcher, her stalky body was more realistic of a 10 year old. Though, its not whether shes tall or bowl-legged as she is now; I can live with it. But what they did in this "new" art direction was just too over the top, even for a remake, look at Red and Ethan. They still at least mirror their old selves but have more detail to their original outfits. Arguably they did more for Brendan in the same respect. They completely redressed may with no intentions or idea of theme whatsoever besides just making her cute - because all female protagonists must be adnorable at priority right? Not in my regard. The thing with her bandanna is that the bands were swept to the back, this ribbon is thrown to the front of her head. Thus negating her badassary in favour of making her supposidly more innocent and naive, babyish even. I don't like moe fodder.

I hope that Winona keeps her warrior look. I loved how it looked like she was looking down at you from above.

I hope that Flannery is also kept looking tough. Roxanne could get a more mature, strong look as she looks a bit childish. Liza is a child so her child like appearance is alright.

DJTiki

Years
    Thinking Skyla might have some sort of flying mechanism for sky battles ;) /shot

Yeah I could see it now

Brendan sent out Swellow
    Skyla sent out Skarmory
    Skyla used Flash
    Swellow fell out of the sky
    Swellow fainted
    GG No re.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back