• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Covid 19

Years
    A man in BC (British Colombia) hosted a party which isn't allowed in that province due to the pandemic social distancing requirements. He was given a fine of $2000 for it and what does he do? Host another party! Is this man rich that's 4000 he'll be paying. Not to mention putting others in danger.
    I heard this on local news and it pissed me off. I'm glad our provincial government is trying to do something to keep large groups of people apart, but if some people can afford to be assholes, then this won't deter them. BC's also been doing nothing more than fining Americans who are crossing the border, saying they're on their way to Alaska. When they catch them hiking the trails or hanging out in Whistler or something, they just give them a ticket and move on. Washington State is in a lot worse shape than us, but if we're going to be so lax about letting people across a supposedly shut border, we won't be far behind.

Also, I've been dealing with stupid people at work for the last 6 months, and now even some our staff is joining in the stupid. We only made masks (or equivalents) mandatory for our staff a few weeks ago, and I've already had to listen to certain employees complaining that we're "restricting their freedom" by asking them to wear masks. Like seriously, have they not been paying attention to their surroundings for the last half a year? I'm just so mentally exhausted dealing with people, on top worrying about my own health and safety.

Years
    I was reading in my local journal that there were 126 new cases of Covid this weekend in just my town. We're definitely witnessing the second wave in my area. On Sunday the Department of Health and Human Services for my state reported 610 cases, but by Monday, literally overnight, the number had almost quadruple to 2,258 more people state-wide :(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Supposedly cases are rising in something like 30 states now.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that a kid who goes to the elementary school I've worked at the most tested positive for covid. Haven't heard much else though. I knew it was just a matter of time though. Going into the school year, the administration seemed to be all like "well if people just wear masks and the custodians clean good enough then no one will get covid right?!".

lol, the only way to guarantee that no one spreads it at school is to not have people physically go to school. Masks and distancing and disinfecting help a lot, but it's not some fool-proof, ironclad defense against coronavirus. But I imagine the blame for whatever happens will always be placed on the wrong people instead of the idiots that thought that re-opening was ok to do.

Years
    My area actually doesn't have many because we closed down entry into the province, you have to be screened and tested.

Zize

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2020
    My neighbor died yesterday from covid-19, can I be infected?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    My neighbor died yesterday from covid-19, can I be infected?
    If you had been in contact with them shortly before and/or after they tested positive, it's possible. If you feel that there was a chance that you were exposed to the virus, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if you can get tested.

Years
    This was a sad story I heard about a woman in Wisconsin named Linda Flansburgh who died of Covid 19 recently. One of the jobs she worked was as a bar tender, and due to her position serving drinks to customers she couldn't always maintain 6 feet of social distancing, and was probably exposed to people without masks since they were eatting and drinking.

Linda got sick. She was working hard at multiple jobs a week to support her family, but was paying everything she made in her mortgage and taxes, and couldn't come up with any more money for the high medical bills she would have to pay for treatment if she went to the hospital. The costs of the deductibles and co-pays for the health insurance were so great that she didn't get medical help, and just stayed home in quarantine despite coughing, feeling bad, and knowing was sick, hoping she survived. She didn't make it unfortunately. Her husband came home and found her dead.

https://wkow.com/2020/10/11/shock-a...s-after-black-earth-woman-dies-from-covid-19/

This is horrible. That lady may have been saved, but she didn't get the care she deserved because we live in such a broken, backward and predatory system. I am someone who still believes that healthcare is a human right, and people are not ours to profit off of.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    A few days ago I went into a 7 Eleven by my house. The employee had a mask on but it was under her chin. The other employee was out front smoking, talking to two customers who weren't wearing masks and were standing super close to each other right by the door. There were three other customers in the store. None of them were wearing masks. There's signs posted that you can't enter the store without a mask on. No wonder this pandemic isn't ending.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm pretty sure you can report the store to your county about how no one is wearing a mask. I know where I live if you store is reported they will send someone out from the health department unannounced to check things out. If your employees aren't wearing a mask the right way OR you're not enforcing the rules both the customer AND your store will be fined big money.

Years
    There's so many anti maskers who make a huge fuss here, especially on facebook. I even had to delete mine because I couldn't take it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I just unfriend them. They're not worth my time nor will they make me dictate how I use my Facebook. Wearing a mask is an inconvenience not the end of the world. If people would have just worn them from the beginning like they should have the US could have been like New Zealand and be free. But no we have a idiotic moron for a President who gives absolute no shits about anyone but himself.

Years
    Thing is they're family friends and I don't want to cause "drama" lol

Like the people who matter would understand but I don't want to be called a sheep or whatever.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Another lockdown officially starting on monday in my country which will last throughout November. Inofficially, the town I live in is going into it by tomorrow.

Well, we will see where this is going. Seems like a lot more people are eager to go to court these days hoping to overrule the restrictions set in place.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
    I live in a major hotspot in my country and these fucking morons known as store managers are literally not bothering with the legally mandated "masks on in store" policy. They don't turn away people without masks like they're supposed to. Most of them don't even wear any themselves. It makes me furious.

pkmin3033

A second lockdown in the UK is starting Thursday and will go on for a month at least. Given how stubbornly Boris has resisted this and the overwhelmingly bleak portrait the experts have been painting of what is going to happen if things continue as they have been, I think there is an unspoken acknowledgement that people are likely to do whatever the hell they please around holiday season regardless of what the UK government says, and it could be even more of a disaster than it already has been. This is LONG overdue, really - we should have gone into lockdown back in September.

Honestly, the Conservative government has made an absolute mess of its handling of the pandemic, and if not for the fact that the Labour party is in complete tatters I wouldn't expect them to get in again when the next election rolls around. I am glad for the extension to the furlough scheme, though. It's not enough, but any support is better than none at all. I feel extremely fortunate to be part of a company that allows me to work from home, now on a permanent basis even once we're all out of this. Stress and anxiety of the job aside, they've been extremely good to me, and my parents are also both lucky enough to work in essential services - postman and teaching assisstant/IT technician, respectively - so none of us have lost our jobs. One of my aunts has lost hers, though.

For me this lockdown comes at a disappointing time because my grandparents were going to visit at the end of next week and I haven't seen them at all this year, but in some way it's a blessing in disguise because I was very concerned about them coming down and staying in a Travelodge - my grandfather was in the shielding category during the first lockdown because of his blood cancer treatment, and my grandmother's health is a worryingly unknown quantity. Having them safe at a distance is obviously better than having them here and at risk. We can still talk over the phone or Facetime. I talk to them every weekend anyway, so nothing will change there.

The biggest worry for us now is my father's place of employment, which is not Covid secure and it really should be. tbh I don't know how he stands it and as he plans to retire in March I wish he would just retire early because if his colleagues aren't going to wear face masks in such a confined space it's only going to get more dangerous as winter progresses. We're having regular tests for when my brother visits - and my mother is probably going to panic over the next month as she won't see him at all - so that's somewhat reassuring, but it doesn't change the fact that there is still an aggravating amount of unnecessary risk for us because of it.

Years
    I was wondering if anyone on the forum uses mass transportation or has loved ones that do? I am interested to know how the pandemic has affected that experience. Do you feel relatively comfortable catching the bus or using the underground metro system in your area? Has it been safe?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I know it's getting worse again here in Michigan to the point where one of the guys tested positive and another had a brother test positive. So now a bunch of us had to be tested and I got mine done this morning and waiting for my results before I can go back to work. I'm surprised we haven't been put on stay home lockdown again. Honestly, where I work there's no reason for us to be open as I work at an arcade. People often throw bitch fits about having to put their name and number down for COVID tracing and then bitch about having to wear a mask.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2020
    all the deaths and lock down and everything has made living almost impossible !
    when will this stop ?

Back