• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critical Hits

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • Do you think CHs are an important part of Pokemon battling? Do you think they are necessary, or that the Pokemon world should do without them? Do you like them or dislike them (in general, not "I like them when I get one and hate them when it happens to me!)?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Critical hits could be amusing if you're the person to actually strike them, but if you're on other end, though, it could be quite frustrating. I've got struck by these things many times while battling online competitively and in-game, and at times, wound up losing matches because of them; they could ruin strategy for you and opponent equally, and could make stuff more complex. Personally, I'm not to fond of this feature, but it's definitely needed to add more realism. Without it, everything would simply seem robotic, and, well, boring. I'm pretty glad that they've been able to think of such a system, really! I understand that many people aren't too fond of it, but we've all gotten used to it by now, haven't we?

Years
  • I've found crits. to be frustrating for the most part. It's never fun when you're on the receiving end, and while they can be enjoyable when you're the one to deal them, I've found that I often land critical hits when I would've KO'ed the opposing Pokemon without them but seldom when I actually need to land them. It's also annoying if you get one while trying to reduce a legendary's and/or shiny's health and end up KO'ing it. That being said, I agree with Endless that battling wouldn't be as interesting without critical hits and would not want to see them removed from the games.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • They make good balancing, particularly if you're in a tricky spot against something like Sigilyph, master of stall. I like them because they break stalls and walls easy, but I dislike them because chance can be a curse, meaning that you can either never get them, or get hit by them extremely frequently. They change the pace of the game, which is why I like them, and is why they're important in my opinion.

I also love the reactions that people get when they get hit by critical hits in a competitive battle. It's just hilarious to me. Another reason as to why I like them.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Critical Hits are a joy, even when you're getting screwed over because of them. It's such a pleasure to see a Stalling strategy being ruined because of one particularly powerful critical hit, though the nerf to it this gen was pretty welcome. Poor Farfetch'd, with the Stick any high-critical move will always deal critical hits but they're no longer as powerful.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I like it because battles can become less predictable. A match can be turned around completely. It causes the players to have to follow a new stragety, plan, and think even more about the next move choice. It goes the same with para-hax.

Flow So Gorgeous

Flipping Awesome
    Years
  • Critical hits are good for the Pokemon games. They add at least some random to battles and make the result less predictable that way. However, if they still worked the way they did in the first gen, I can get behind getting rid of them.

Zapdos86

BURD! BURD! BURD!
    Years
  • I would say that critical hits aren't necessary in Pokemon battling at all. And it really doesn't matter whether it was implemented or not within the Pokemon games, because without it it's still the normal Pokemon battling that we do. Though, I do like critical hits only when I have low HP with a Pokemon, and luckily land one. It can also be pretty cool when you land a critical hit with a move that isn't super effective on a Pokemon.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    Critical hits are the thing to a good battle, at least. It can even give a weaker pokemon a chance to beat a stronger pokemon if it manages to get a critical hit in, for at least 2x the damage. At least it adds some randomised mechanics to it, like accuracy and whether the pokemon will have a status problem.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I like it because battles can become less predictable. A match can be turned around completely. It causes the players to have to follow a new stragety, plan, and think even more about the next move choice. It goes the same with para-hax.

You hit the nail on the head. This is why I like how CHs are a part of Pokemon games, not just because it's great when I get one. I admit, it's frustrating, but it adds a sense of unpredictability in a game where prediction plays a large part (especially in competitive battling).

Years
  • Critical hits are something that adds unpredictability to a battle, I'd imagine that if crits didn't exist the battles wouldn't be as intense. Even if the damage got nerfed slightly in 6th Gen, the buff they made to the Super Luck ability, Focus Energy + Razor Claw/Scope Lens + increased crit rate move (or as I also discovered, Super Luck + maxed Amie affection, since my Absol in X seems to always crit) can make it a pretty neat strategy at times with the right set up.

MichaelSK16

Pokemon Connoisseur
    Years
  • Honestly, crits are better for the sake of the game. It's all math and predetermined outcomes without crits. It's much like misses. It adds a second element to the game other than "well, it will definitely take ____ attacks to KO ____." So I think they're a good addition to the mechanics of the game.

I've actually thought about this a few times, and my personal opinion is that crits should stay, but to off-set crits, I think it'd be cool to see them add an anti-crit type of thing where a move does less than the usual. I feel like it would make it seem a little more balanced. I haven't thought enough into it to determine whether it should be the result of the attacker getting a "weaker" attack off or the defender just absorbing the hit better, but I feel like one of the two results could definitely help level out crits.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I just learned about the Critical Rate Buff and Focus Energy Buff.

The Crit damage being lowered is welcome. Ignoring your debuffs and His Buff makes crits powerful enough without doubling damage.

Years
  • There's always going to be two sides of the coin for critical hit. If you're on the receiving end, it's probably extremely frustrating, especially if the opposing Pokemon wouldn't have been able to take yours out otherwise. May come at an unlikely time, like in a Nuzlocke, killing off one of your favorite teammates. Now, on the other side, you could land a critical hit yourself! Most times, this is wonderful, as it helps bring down the HP of walls significantly in competitive battling, or win the stalemate between two equally matched Pokemon.

Misaka

Yokoso
    Years
  • Critical hits can go either way. Sometimes they are great when you really need to make the enemy faint. But other times they can be really frustrating or annoying. I can't tell you how many times a weak enemy has taken me out with a critical hit.

OR there are times when I am trying to catch a pokemon and I need to lower their health just a tiny bit more... and then BAM! Critical hit and they are gone ;_;

Back