• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Cynthia

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Cynthia

Cynthia is the champion of the Sinnoh Region, and among the strongest battlers in the games (unless you count Barry in Platinum). She helps you along the story, and is your final hurdle before fulfilling your dream of becoming Pokemon League Champion. However, she doesn't take battling easy. With monsters such as Lucario, Garchomp, and even Togekiss, Cynthia proves herself to be worthy of the title of Champion.

How did you feel about Cynthia? How about your battle against her for the Champion spot, did you beat her? Or did you have trouble with her?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Cynthia=Best Champion

I don't remember her giving me too much trouble the first time I battled her on my Pearl, but she was rather difficult one my first run of Platinum and my subsequent Rock monotype. On my first time with Platinum, it came down to just my Magnezone vs her Togekiss. Almost got KO'd by Aura Sphere but managed to take out Togekiss with a Discharge. The Rock monotype....I lost to her several times. Finally won because of some luck and Probopass being amazing with X Sp.Defenses and such.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
    I happen to like Cynthia. She's integrated into the story, has a general companionship with the player and is not so condescending like Lance or Blue. A great example of an experienced Trainer that still has youth (she refers to a previous journey in Johto when explaining the SecretPotion to the player. That was a neon sign for Johto remakes!).

I did beat her, and that was because I mostly used my Empoleon. At the time I played Diamond, I kept a full team in all of my playthroughs, but this one was different. Anyways, challenging team even with my one overpowered Pokemon. A balanced team is always the strongest; just look at Red and Blue (the characters).

Love her design, her battle theme, and just her character in general even though it was tiring seeing her multiple times in Gen 4 and later in Gen 5.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Cynthia = Steven > Lance, Wallace, Blue, Alder, Iris, Diantha

Cynthia was seriously strong and I had major trouble defeating her in DPPt. Her Garchomp would demolish my team with Earthquake and her Milotic was pesky to remove from battle with its Surf and Ice beam. She looks amazing, she has a great presence in the anime and she has an epic battle theme.

What more could you want from a Pokemon League Champion?

Years
    One of the main reasons it took me such a long time to complete Diamond was Cynthia. her Garchomp basically made my team look like a bunch of level ten Magikarps. D: The rest of the Sinnoh Elite Four was similarly tough, so my Pokemon were already fatigued going in. Unfortunately, I had to challenge her numerous times before I came out victorious.

As a character, I loved her. The presence she had early on in the game really made her feel like an integral part of Sinnoh and its workings, as a Champion should. Her design is visually pleasing as well. Probably the best Champion in the series to date. Steven is a close second though n__n

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Cynthia = Steven > Lance, Wallace, Blue, Alder, Iris, Diantha

This exactly, except switch Wallace and Blue. ;)

Cynthia had a great presence in the game outside of the Elite Four and didn't spew out stuff about feelings and bonds about 100% of the time like a certain Unova champion (coughAldercough). She also had a pretty tough team. Having a Spiritomb to lead off & cripple and ending with a Garchomp definitely made it challenging. Honestly, she and Steven are definitely the best Champions. :)

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
    Oh man, that Spiritomb followed by garchomp >.<

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
    I haven't even played D/P/Pt, but I absolutely love Cynthia as a champion. Her theme is great, her design is great, and she is a challenge if you're unprepared, which is awesome. Let's go back to having the champions be this way because I feel that they're getting to easy now.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    Cynthia was the most challenging champion I've ever faced in my opinion, which is a good thing! Her design is great, she played an important part in the story of D/P/Pt (she almost felt like a big sister in a lot of ways), her theme is just to die for, and she's incredibly powerful.

Re-playing Platinum has become a habit for me because of how horrible Alder, Iris, and Diantha were (plus Iris and Diantha were very very insignificant roles in both of their generations, so I had no real bond with them at all). It's like...I want a champion that's difficult to tackle and one that's developed as an important character to me. I mean, even with her awful Mega, Diantha was easy (and I only had three Pokémon!). You only saw her - what? - once or twice the entire game?

Hoping ORAS is better because I've never actually played too much of R/S/E.

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
    I was curious about why Cynthia was so damn hard compared to the other champions in the pokemon franchise. I initially thought that it's because she's extremely high leveled (4-6 levels higher than the Sinnoh elite four and my platinum team's level is around mid fifty). I looked around in the internet and discovered that her entire team have PERFECT ivs & got ev trained!
    I only beat Cynthia by item spamming and barely succeeded in beating her Garchomp with my golduck who is one of the last two pokemon in my team that's not KO'ed.

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    Platinum was my first game, and I remember being the first out of my two sisters to beat Cynthia (which made it that much more awesome.) It took multiple tries for me (the first time I went into the Elite Four I was shocked when I couldn't heal my Pokemon after each battle, and that I needed to bring my own potions :P.)

I finally got to Cynthia with my Togekiss, Abomasnow, Luxray, Giratina, and Tentacruel (Giratina and Tentacruel were last minute additions.)The battle was awesome and so stressful with the music. I've never been quite as excited with beating any other champion than that moment :)

Years
    I've always liked Cynthia, she's certainly among my favorite opponents to battle in the series, because her team requires strategy to beat and can handle most opposing types. I even remember the very first time I battled her in Pearl, her Garchomp was recharging and my Gastrodon killed her from below half with Ice Beam. Also, her personality is quite cool and I like how she's interested in Sinnoh's myths.

However, it is a little underwhelming that she not only does nothing against Team Galactic, but makes you go to Route 210 with the SecretPotion to cure the Psyduck instead of doing it herself.

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
    However, it is a little underwhelming that she not only does nothing against Team Galactic, but makes you go to Route 210 with the SecretPotion to cure the Psyduck instead of doing it herself.

I always thought of it as her wanting you to gain experience, since she probably knows that you're a very skilled trainer and can do it on your own. She already finished her journey, so she's helping you to better yours.

Back