• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Day Six] - Mew

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • [Day Six] - Mew

Believe it or not, Mew was not planned to be programmed in the game. It was just intended to be as a joke from one of the developers, so that only Game Freak staff members would know about and be able to obtain that pokemon. But of course, thanks to a well known glitch at Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue, players soon found out about Mew too!

The glitch itself though, was pretty tricky.. you'd have to battle this trainer with a slowpoke, then fly to Lavender towards a gambler, BUT you're not supposed to battle the gamer - you're supposed to take one step towards him, then press start immediately to fly. Soon you'd have to go back to Lavender where the start menu 'pops up', then when you close iit, Mew will be encountered. But apparently, there's also a lot of different versions of this method with different trainers and locations (don't quote me on that though).

Or.. something like that, I don't really remember that much, but, it was a glitch! Haha. Once you've gotten mew, you'll find out that Mew can learn almost every single move in the entire game, making it.. versatile, to say the least!

In any case, did you ever obtain Mew, or knew about Mew during your playthrough of Pokemon Blue and Red? What do you think of this mysterious 151th pokemon?

Years
  • personally no, but i attribute this moreso to the fact that i never really got into R/B/Y way back then. ;___;

need to actually see if i can get a mew in VC RBY, assuming it's still possible.

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • How gamers discover all these absurd glitches is beyond me. xD

I never encountered Mew myself, but if I played again, then sure! It'd easily make my team. ^ ^

Years
  • I've watched tutorials how to get it multiple times, but it's just too long and too much breaking of the game that I never bother getting it. I know a lot of people uses it as HM slave, but I feel like it's bad way of using legendary Pok?mon.

I got it later in Gen VI(I?), but never used it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I can give everyone a sure fire way to get Mew because it?s one of my favorite Psychic Types and is one Pok?mon who can be obtained via the Hexidecimal glitch(my name for it) or Ditto Glitch, without having to fight a Wild Ditto to force a specific encounter. It just so happens that Mew?s Hexidecimal value is 21 and it corresponds to the Special value of the last Pokemon you encountered through this ?process?. See the spoiler below but the gist of it is that the Youngster with the Slowpoke north of Cerulean has a Slowpoke with a Special stat of 21. Meaning when you battle him and defeat him, the last Pok?mon you encountered has the value for Mew. The method is fool proof and STABLE and works for ANY Pokemon in the game.

Spoiler:

I should add that this glitch can be used multiple times. Meaning if you wanted an army of Mew or Mewtwo, you can make it happen.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I didn't play Red or Blue back in the day ^^ only played Yellow, much later. I knew about Mew because I saw the movie before I touched the games. I have never owned a Mew and doubt I will, haha. Pity, it's so cute!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I didn't play Red or Blue back in the day ^^ only played Yellow, much later. I knew about Mew because I saw the movie before I touched the games. I have never owned a Mew and doubt I will, haha. Pity, it's so cute!

If you got RBY or RBY via VC, if the VC variants are anything like the original hard copies(which they should be...) then what I posted above will allow you to enjoy Mew. It works 100% of the time and you can get more than one provided you had a Pokemon with a Special Stat of 21 and could encounter Wild Ditto. Heh imagine a full team of Mew.... or Mewtwo... lmao.

Years
  • I have done that glitch in the past, but I can't remember if I did on my original games.

I have raised a few in the past, they are very good.

Back