• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Dialogue Oddities

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    Not an error, but it is funny: after you defeat him, the Rocket who steals Dig says "I'd better get going! Bye!"

Years
  • Not an error, but it is funny: after you defeat him, the Rocket who steals Dig says "I'd better get going! Bye!"

What's better is the police officer infront of the house saying "We're hot on Team Rocket's trail." while you can still see him in the backyard. You'd think the giant hole in the back of the house would give away his escape route or something. :disappoin

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    The police generally seem to be a little incompetent. How about the guy on the S.S. Anne who says "Shh! I'm a GLOBAL POLICE agent! I'm on the trail of TEAM ROCKET!" Way to keep your cover!

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Sometimes, hilarious lines are ruined by HGSS. Such as our favorite perv. And the senile old Oak, which reminded me of these consecutive comics-

080423.gif

080428.gif

SUPEREFFECTIVE is good.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I love how they changed it to "This gym is great! It's full of strong trainers!"
    It seems so tacked on, especially since the guy is still peering into the window creepily.

Also, I've always wanted to make a R/B/Y/FR/LG that centers around Lavender Town, and makes the whole thing even moar soul-destroying. Like, you constantly find out darker and darker secrets about Lavender until you go insane. And see dead children.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    They changed Agatha's "Oh ho!" to "Woo-hoo!" in Yellow. What, did they think people were going to complain that she was talking about prostitutes?

Maverick Hunter Zero

What Am I Fighting For?
    Years
  • The Jugglers comments always made me laugh, even when I was young.

And I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but there's a sailor on S.S. Anne that says something along the lines of "I like fiesty kids like you!"

The channelers comments always creeped me out a little...

Bill - "Hi! I'm a Pokemon!"

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • Although not a dialogue oddity, I certainly find the Lavendar Tower odd. I understand you can't see the ghosts without a Silph Scope. They're ghosts. But, you can battle the Channelers, and they all have Gastlys and Haunters that you can battle and see... What's the difference in wild Gastlys and Gastlys that the Channelers caught?

Years
  • Although not a dialogue oddity, I certainly find the Lavendar Tower odd. I understand you can't see the ghosts without a Silph Scope. They're ghosts. But, you can battle the Channelers, and they all have Gastlys and Haunters that you can battle and see... What's the difference in wild Gastlys and Gastlys that the Channelers caught?

I think it has something to do with the wild ones taking the persona of Ghosts, while the channler's pokemon aren't instructing theirs to do likewise....why not I can't tell you, but that's my best guess.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Here's an idea GameFreak.
    ASK WHETHER YOUR A BOY OR GIRL BEFORE THE PROFESSOR SHOWS UP!
    why haven't they thought of this.

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
  • This has probably been posted earlier, but "I came when I heard you beat the Elite Four" is my favorite line. Win.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Best read in this form:

Spoiler:

Spoilers for big image. Though none of these are "oddities". The only "odd" thing is that people notice them. But who cares, some of them are funny.

EDIT: i mad

Last edited:

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    That was one of the "Clues" For pikablu. It was to be the evolved form of Pikachu/Rachu and one of the "Pokegods"
    It most certainly is not. First off, Pikablu never existed and was never planned to exist. Pikablu is the just name fans gave to Marill before they knew its real name. The reason it says "Raichu went and evolved!" is because earlier, japanese versions of the game made you trade a pokemon that *could* evolve and they forgot to change the text after they changed the pokemon that you traded.

Also, in RSE your parents put you in the back of a moving truck. It just shows you how much they care for your well being.

Another thing, in a few of the Pokemon games you hand over a male pokemon and a female pokemon, and for some reason the old daycare man, in all of his wisdom, does not know how in the hell the egg "got there". Really? I paid good money to have you watch over my Pokemon and yet you saw nothing?

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    It most certainly is not. First off, Pikablu never existed and was never planned to exist. Pikablu is the just name fans gave to Marill before they knew its real name. The reason it says "Raichu went and evolved!" is because earlier, japanese versions of the game made you trade a pokemon that *could* evolve and they forgot to change the text after they changed the pokemon that you traded.

Also, in RSE your parents put you in the back of a moving truck. It just shows you how much they care for your well being.

Another thing, in a few of the Pokemon games you hand over a male pokemon and a female pokemon, and for some reason the old daycare man, in all of his wisdom, does not know how in the hell the egg "got there". Really? I paid good money to have you watch over my Pokemon and yet you saw nothing?

Okay, the RSE part has got to go. These are dialogue oddities and this is the RGBYGSC forum, not RSE.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • "I like fiesty kids like you" - Sailor on S.S. Anne

"Whoops! Dropped my Balls." - Juggler (in Fuschia Gym I think)

"You're hot, but not as hot a Brock!" - Trainer in Brock's Gym

"I came when I head you'd beaten the Elite 4" - Professor Oak

"I'll tell my sister not to lend you one" - Gary Oak

Some of my favourites, most of them mentioned already.

Creating innuendos out of move names is fun too- Penis used Harden, Hitler used Hail, Condom used Protect etc.

Back