• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did they go a little overboard with legendaries each gen?

Years
  • I liked how in gen I the only legendaries we had were Mewtwo and Mew. Then in Gen II we had Celebi, Entei, Raikoi, Suicune, Ho-oh and Lugia. They go from two to six! And it got even more so each gen.

I just wonder if perhaps it would have been best to just have 2-3 legendaries per gen. Even if you can only catch one of each per game it seems kinda crazy to have so many in one game, kinda makes them lose their "legendary" flair if there are so many others with them.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I honestly never use the legendary POKeMON in each game in my team, so I could give crap. To me it adds to the excitement of catching every POKeMON without a MASTER BALL. More legendaries equal more decision making on when and where to use the MASTER BALL.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Remember Gen 1 also had Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno (sp?)

But ya, maybe they do. I don't really mine, as most of them are hidden, and hunting them down is pretty much just something to do after you've done everything else

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • Eh, Gen1 had Mew, Mewtwo, Aricuno, Zapdos and Moltres... it had five legendaries.

I honestly don't mind the fact we have a lot of Legendaries now every generation, as long as they're very different to the Pokémon already out.

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
    Years
  • My all time favorite were the original 3 elemental legendary birds- Arcticuno, Zapdos, and Moltres, plus Lugia of course, and I will always follow them. I also enjoyed Suicune, Raikou, and Entei, but I'm happy to see them bringing those ideas back with Kyurem, Zekrom, and Reshirem. I absolutely love them. Although, I did not like Celebi or Deoxys or any of those other pointless legendaries. It seems like nowadays any Pokemon can be legendary and they aren't so rare anymore. :cer_no:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Not necessarily.
    If you think about it, every culture on Earth has tons of legends (which involves a lot of legendary figures and mythical creatures).
    Pokémon is more or less doing something similar with the high number of legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2013
    I guess you could say they did a bit in Gen 4, introducing the creator of all, (even though I thought that title was already taken by Mew) but some like Darkrai weren't overboard but still very good. Then in Gen 5 they introduced Kyurem, Zekrom and Reshiram. I like these but to be honest what's their point? What do they do? For example Groudon made the earth, Palkia made space etc.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    I think it was around gen 3 when they started to pump out more legendaries, I've never used them but I still think there are to many of them. Just so many of them seem absolutely unnecessary :I.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Generation IV onwards definitely took a steep increase, up to Ruby & Sapphire I thought the amount of legendaries we're adequate but in DPPT there were atleast 12 new legendaries introduced IIRC and even more in Black & White.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • As long as they have interesting myths to base them on :)
    And there is plenty.

Years
  • I agree with Lapras, B2/W2 seems to be introducing too many formes.

But I'm alright with the interesting design concepts of each Legendary.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I was fine with the number of legendary pokemon until gen IV when I just thought there were too many. Don't much care what they're based on just as long as there's not too many. They should be rare and I don't much like how you have to fight some of them now, they were a sort of bonus in the old days, now they're involved with the story too much with B&W making sure you had to actually catch one to further the game.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'm kind of bored of them now... like initially (probably up until Gen. IV) I thought they all had interesting stories behind them and what not, but in Gen. IV and Gen. V there were just too many and I lost interest.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • On another note I don't feel to particularly happy about the fact if you miss events you're basically screwed in obtaining the POKeMON for that event...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I've always felt a sense of diminishing returns when it comes to legendary Pokemon. Gen I had 5, Gen II had 6, Gen III had 10, and they all seemed to have an appropriate air of mystery and, heh, 'legendary' status about them. With Gen IV-V's 13 new legendaries each, it just becomes harder and harder to care. I mean, Arceus was labelled the creator of all Pokemon... so where else can you go from there, really? It also doesn't help that a lot of them feel so superfluous to the main storyline that they have to be given out as Wi-Fi events. I'd much rather have a more tightly focused game with fewer legendaries than a sprawling one with lots of them. But that's just me.

NatureKeeper

Well, my personal opinion is that it is much better with more legendaries. But only if they are all integrated into the storyline.

For instance, I didn't mind the lake trio along with the creation trio and Arceus in DPPt because they were all vital to he storyline. Also, in Ranger: Guardian Signs, Pokémon like Shaymin and Manaphy aren't called legendaries, something like "Special" or "Rare", and I think of them as such. Darkrai and Cresselia had a mini-storyline, so they were the ones I didn't care for so much.

In Black and White, I thought that the genie trio and the guardian trio were very insignificant, but I know the genie trio and Keldeo (and by extent, the Guardians) have a larger role in B/W 2, so that cancels out the rest of the problems, except for Meloetta and Genesect, which were utterly pointless.

In Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald, the legendaries were all good, the same in Gen I and Gen II remakes (haven't played the originals, and won't probably).

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • There is so many, because the classification has evolved with time.
    At first they just made random elemental strong creatures for example, but by now they set some standards and distinctions, each with different purposes.

So first you have to distinguish between what I call true legendaries, and average legendaries.

=True legendaries are the giant ancient monsters that look like they lived since forever, and are the cause of serious age old stories and local creation myths. In other words, they are a big deal.
    -Lugia/Ho-oh
    -Groudon/Kyogre
    -Rayquaza
    -Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
    -Arceus
    -Reshiram/Zekrom
    -Kyurem

By average legendaries I mean all those that we could as well refer to as just super rare powerful mysterious pokemon, with most of them not even having a noteworthy role, except for a nice tale or quest occasionally. Like, they're not legendary, just obviously more special than the rest.
    But lets break these down a bit further.
    =Semi-legendaries (because they seem related to the true legends in some way and represent the core elementally oriented groups concept):
    -Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
    -Raikou/Entei/Suicune
    -Regice/Regirock/Registeel
    -Regigigas
    -Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
    -Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion
    -Keldeo (if it didnt have a deep relation with the musketeers it'd be in the group below)

=Extra/Hidden (they're event pokes, standalone, sometimes gimmicky, just there to add something exotic):
    -Mewtwo/Mew
    -Celebi/Jirachi/Shaymin/Manaphy/Phione/Victini
    -Latias/Latios
    -Deoxys
    -Heatran
    -Cresselia/Darkrai
    -Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus
    -Meloetta
    -Genesect

----- I II III IV V
    True 0 2 3 4 3
    Semi 3 3 3 4 4
    Extra 2 1 4 6 6

So as you can see, the True legends only appeared gen II on, but along with the Semi legends, they both stay quite steady throughout the generations.
    The only thing that actually changed is the number of Extra legends went uphill for some reason.
    And I believe those are the ones that concern most people.
    You know, stuff like LAti@s, Heatran, Meloetta..
    They all seem kind of random and uneccessary.

Therefore I can see why people might be upset about it, but personally, none of those are bad enough for me to agree, since they always have some interesting seperate thing going on, ie the lunar duo with their mirrored islands, Meloetta being dedicated to music and so on.

Years
  • I don't have a particular love for legendaries, just cuz they're only overpowered pokemon that end up being a bit of a hassle to train. So, the more there are, the more annoying they are to me lol. I don't mind a couple, especially if I don't have to talk to them. But having like 15 legendaries is just... overdoing it. How special can a legendary be if there are 30 of them? :laugh:Plus, the reasons for them being legendary doesn't always make sense. Lord of the seas and god of pokemon, okay, but a random singing/dancing lady? :/ I would have just preferred fewer, more legendary legendaries lol.

Back