• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disappointed? (about non-Switch)

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
  • Everyone thought that we're going to get a mainline Pokemon game on the switch... with almost every mainstream gaming media outlet reporting that, "Pokemon Stars is set to release for the switch." Even tho, those are just rumors... everyone still built a considerable amount of hype for it.

Now, are you disappointed that Pokemon Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun won't be on the Switch?

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I have mixed feelings. It probably would've been better for older 3DS users who haven't upgraded yet if it was released for the Switch, that way they have a reason to save up for one, and as another bonus, I can only imagine it would be a massive boost to Switch sales to have a main series Pokemon game for it.

At the same time, though? I'm not really all that let down. It's the third game in the seventh generation; typically third games or sequels within the same generation don't get released on different consoles.

This. I'm down for Switch if it is a remake or a spin-off game. But not for a third game.

Years
  • I'm not disappointed as I saw this coming. Game Freak wouldn't suddenly change consoles mid generation. I believe that these will be the final 3DS main series games. Generation 8 will most likely be on the switch.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I'm not disappointed as I saw this coming. Game Freak wouldn't suddenly change consoles mid generation. I believe that these will be the final 3DS main series games. Generation 8 will most likely be on the switch.

This will probably be the case and I'm all for it. gives me more time and incentive to save up for switch.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I don't really think pokemon would work well on tv, but that might just be me :p
    They'd probably have to redo all the sprites again though...

Years
  • I am pretty bummed yeah... but at the same, happy since it means I don't have to buy a Switch anytime soon. ^^ But I would've loved to experience Pok?mon on this system and have been crossing my fingers we'd get an announcement for it at some point. Alas tho. ): I am sure it'll be awesome when we finally do get one!!

Sean Flame

*#@()@(!#¥{
    Years
  • Dissappointed?

Nope. Not at all. I'm personally okay with main series games not being on Switch. That said, Pokken Tournament works just fine for me. I mean, okay, it was kind of a bummer but decidueye and darkry are some of my favourite pokemon and having them would surely make a difference to me at the very least.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Hi everyone I just joined!
    Personally I am very excited for thee games :D
    I don't like how a lot of comments I've seen over on reddit are very negative towards the game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    I'm disappointed that we're getting an upgraded SM rehash (with a knockoff of Kyurem's fusion gimmick) instead of something more interesting. After Zygarde's game failed to happen, I thought GF was done with third versions and making people plunk down cash for a "nicer" version of games they had already bought. SM aren't even a year old, and they've already been rendered obsolete. :rolleyes2:

And, past history strongly suggests that USUM will wind up among the lowest-selling main series games. They're third versions being released at the tail end of a console generation, not unlike Crystal, Emerald, and B2W2 (sequels, but still a region rehash). And, guess what? Those are the three worst-selling main series games. Does GF really want Gen 7 to go out with a whimper like that?

With the 3DS on its last legs and these very likely being the final main series games released for the system, Gen 7 needed to end with something far more special than just a SM rehash. I was hoping that all of those nods to Kanto (and the whole 20th anniversary theme of this gen) were leading up to sequels set in Kanto and Johto, featuring Lillie as a rival. Now, that would've been a unique and interesting way to tie up Gen 7 and send it out with a bang, and it's hard not to imagine sequels set in the beloved first two regions making a killing in sales.

But, no, it looks like all of those Kanto nods in SM were just a cheap anniversary gimmick, and nothing significant or meaningful will come out of them. :rolleyes2: GF may love shoving certain Gen 1 Pok?mon down our throats (ie. Charizard and Mewtwo), but they could care less about the Kanto region itself or any of its characters. Same goes for the other regions and their characters (besides Cynthia and Looker). I guess the standard really is for past regions to get one remake and then never appear in any game ever again. Very disappointing.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Heck no, I'm excited.

I don't have a Wii U so never had a chance to play Pokken, now I do. Plus with all the characters and Decidueye and extra game modes? Sign me up for Switch!

USM is also exciting as an alternative story, with all sorts of possibilities and new Z-moves. I'm very excited for it and what changes they make.

About USM being on the 3DS, let's take a brief look at history, shall we?

Gameboy Advance release date: 2001
    Ruby/Sapphire release date: 2002 JPN 2003 NA/EU

DS release date: 2004
    DP release date: 2006

3DS release date: 2011
    XY release date: 2013

You notice how the brand new console didn't get a mainline Pokemon game until a year after it was released? This is nothing new and actually helps the Switch because it won't starve sales of other games such as Super Mario Odyssey. Switch has a strong line up of first party games such as BOTW, MK8DX, PokkenDX, rumoured SmashBros if E3 has anything and Super Mario Odyssey, not to mention new entries like ARMS and Splatoon2. I think Switch owners have enough to keep them going.

Besides, would you rather the first game for Nintendo Switch be a port of an existing game, or a brand new game built up from the ground?

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I'm quite glad it's not on the Switch because buying the Switch isn't one of my priorities or something I'd be able to do this year. Also agreed with Frozocone's points above - I think a debut on the Switch with a brand new game would be a lot more impactful and exciting than something that's sort of new.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • Remember that GF was hiring for a developers for a console game just recently... and of course 3d modelers...

That's a tip off that they where still early in development for a Switch Pokemon game. I've already adjusted my expectations accordingly, so I wasn't really disappointed.

Also, isn't it a bit unreasonable for people to expect you to be able to go back to Kanto using the new engine? SuMo was the largest 3ds game at 3.2 gb.., Imagine placing the upscaled Kanto map into that a game with that size... that would take another 2 years of development, maybe even more... GF might already be on the early stages of developing the next game for the switch (Whether its the new gen, remake, enhanced port) so doing so would only delay their plans for the new system.

I do agree that this expansion is being released way to early... we usually get these version a year and a half after the release of the main game.

Source:
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/2...orizon-game-freak-recruiting-console-project/
    https://jp.indeed.com/仕事?jk=9968e0a456d331fb

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    One of my biggest complaints regarding people who want Pokemon games set in past regions is: "Why?" I've made this argument before in the SM speculatory period, but there has to be a bigger reason why you're able to travel to a past region other than just "well... Lillie lol". Lillie went to Kanto sure.... what does that have to do with the player? Lillie finding a cure for her mother is her problem, what are you going to do in the meantime? The same old beating Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika and Team Rocket like we've been doing every time we've visited Kanto? Unless there's some sort of revolutionary change in the way we're exploring Kanto that doesn't involve the same old same old (extremely unlikely), it's just pointless to travel to Kanto (or Johto, for that matter).

If you miss Kanto so much, play RBY VC. If you miss Johto, GS VC is right around the corner. It's ridiculous reasoning to say that Game Freak isn't giving nostalgic players the chance to revisit past regions when they've been doing exactly that. What more would you want?

Because some of us love past regions and want to see them revisited in ways besides outdated originals or tired remakes? :rolleyes2: I also don't think it was unreasonable to expect GF to do something more substantial and meaningful with Kanto for the 20th anniversary than a few cheap references in SM and re-releases of 20 year old games. I wanted to see Kanto fully fleshed-out and modernized and see how the region and its characters have progressed since GSC, and I know I'm not alone in this.

Unfortunately, GF seems to operate under the same principle as the anime's writers and producers, if the 20th movie is anything to go by. "Celebrating the past" will never amount to anything more than a few cheap references and shallow marketing of already overexposed past gen Pok?mon. Just as Ash's past companions get thrown in the dustbin and are never seen or heard from again after X number of years, the same also seems to be true for past regions in the games. They get one remake, and that's that. What a joke of an "anniversary" this has been.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Disappointed? Nah. The only issue I have with the announcement is how early it has come. I don't own a switch, and I am perfectly happy with my Wii U not having a mainstream Pokemon game on it. I don't think I would even get it, to be completely honest. Pokemon has always been a handheld experience, and even with the switch's capabilities it just won't feel the same to me.

As for the disappointment about not going back to the roots of the franchise with Kanto etc, I feel the same as with every new announcement, that it is pretty much unnecessary and in no way would it sell well.

I still need to finish my copy of Moon (though I lost it when FE echoes came out and have to use Sun instead) so hopefully I will have enough time.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Nope. Not in the least.

Currently it is impossible to get a Switch around here, I haven't seen them in stock for weeks. And now I don't have to worry about buying an early console which I have never liked buying a console in its first year. So now I can focus on getting a new 3DS.

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • Hell no. Unfortunatly I don't have money growing on my back, and I am not even close to having enough money for a Switch. I will get it eventually, but not now. I am super excited for this game, and even more knowing that I will be able to playit on my 3ds :)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'm not disappointed. If anything it means I'll get to play it more because my boyfriend and I only have one Switch between us llol

As for the Kanto stuff...

It would be more how the characters have aged over 20 years - clearly people like Misty etc wouldn't stay in the same position (some might) so you'd see what they're doing, see how the region has been changed since your original visit (new structures, areas), see how the Pokemon have changed and help Lillie find the answer. It would honestly be really cool to follow a new sort of journey. You wouldn't even be YOU, you'd be a new protagonist (visiting from another region) and you would play as that and find Lillie, and follow along her journey, and then from an outside of game POV, discover how the region has changed. So like what B2W2 did for BW, after two years. This would be after 20 years so just think of how many changes are possible!

But yeah, that's ideally why Kanto remakes would have made sense especially with the movie coming it. Nobody wants the same old Kanto, it's more they want to see how it is now, after this long sorta thing. I'd love to see that for every region honestly. No more remakes, just long-awaited sequels.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm not disappointed. If anything it means I'll get to play it more because my boyfriend and I only have one Switch between us llol

As for the Kanto stuff...

It would be more how the characters have aged over 20 years - clearly people like Misty etc wouldn't stay in the same position (some might) so you'd see what they're doing, see how the region has been changed since your original visit (new structures, areas), see how the Pokemon have changed and help Lillie find the answer. It would honestly be really cool to follow a new sort of journey. You wouldn't even be YOU, you'd be a new protagonist (visiting from another region) and you would play as that and find Lillie, and follow along her journey, and then from an outside of game POV, discover how the region has changed. So like what B2W2 did for BW, after two years. This would be after 20 years so just think of how many changes are possible!

But yeah, that's ideally why Kanto remakes would have made sense especially with the movie coming it. Nobody wants the same old Kanto, it's more they want to see how it is now, after this long sorta thing. I'd love to see that for every region honestly. No more remakes, just long-awaited sequels.

I don't even think that it's been 20 years in the Poke timeline. Red and Blue seemed to be in their twenties opposed to their 30s in SM so more like ten years or so post RGBY/FrLg's time (I like to think 12 as a nod to FrLg's 2004 release). Though I get what you mean. It would've been good to see the various changes. That was one of the parts I enjoyed from visiting Kanto in GS/HgSs' post game. Kind of hope that we can do the same in the post game of these games.

Back