• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do human beings act out of self-interest?

Jek

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 17, 2012
    The standard answer is "Yes"; human beings always act in their own self interest, even if said self-interest is veiled in altruism. For example, can a man who gives a homeless man a dollar be considered selfless? Or is he in actuality doing so because he likes the feeling of generosity?

Discuss.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Yeah, we do most things out of self-interest. We go to school for that degree that gets us a better job and gets us more money. We eat right to keep ourselves healthy... we have kids to continue our family line. We seek out companionship to keep from feeling lonely. I dunno if we do everything out of it or not. I'm having trouble thinking of much we do selflessly though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Of course, we do most things out of self interest. As for helping others, I'm not sure.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I was actually thinking about this while I watched batman, since they spoke about the state of nature, which reminded me of Thomas Hobbs, which in turn, brought me back to this idea. Are humans naturally bad or Good. With all my contemplating, I have come up with no answers.

Years
  • If your idea of selflessness is completely black and white then you'll probably agree that everything people do is selfish. But I think of it as a scale with coexisting feelings of selfishness and selflessness and anything something does which is motivated more by the latter to be, essentially, selfless.

In that sense I think people are probably 50/50. Maybe more selfish, more often. I know I do things that, while they make me feel like I'm doing the right and selfless thing, make me annoyed or tired or all sorts of unpleasant things that don't feel like they make up for that little good feeling.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Evolutionarily thinking, acting out of self-interest would be better for one's survival. For example, if you share your food, there's no logical way you can expect food to be shared with you. Thus, more often than not, you die and the selfish assface lives on another generation.

However, we humans have developed larger brains than usual, thus allowing us to put up with social interactions (which takes a lot of brainpower to process). With that kind of power comes basic needs for a society (a collected bunch of social interactions) to survive, like generosity, empathy, and sympathy. It may be a side effect or a cause, but for whatever reason, it has become that way.

So we are right now an instinctual animal that is starting to come out of its instincts and act to produce logical thinkings.

I don't know what I'm trying to get at at this point, but one tying is clear - we still have natural instincts built into us. We've spent a great deal of time trying to get rid of those instincts (as seen by religious texts like the Bible or the Koran). The result is religion.

Now I'm not trying to say anything I say is the definite truth, but that's where my logic falls in place with. And why does any of this happen? Beats me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Most do. I think that's human nature. But there are always exceptions and those who we see to be entirely selfless

mew42003

Lulz
    Years
  • Yes. Genuinely good people are hard to come by these days. Too many people are self-absorbed and lack compassion.

Years
  • Even if it's veiled altruism, it's still altruistic. You aren't being forced to be kind to other people. I just think sometimes it's easier to be selfish than it is to be selfless.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Most do. I think that's human nature. But there are always exceptions and those who we see to be entirely selfless

Agreed with this, and for the most part, I think we are taught to be selfless. What children do you ever see who -want- to share, for example? Children who want to give do it for attention and praise, too..

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    A lot of people act out of self-interest-- most people act out of self-interest. Strict self-discipline and a solid amount of willpower are key to overcoming indulging yourself. It is survival of the fittest; our survival instinct reincarnate. It is to stoutly defy your very nature to risk your chances in an effort to bolster the chances of another. As a person's well being is both mental and physical, this includes if their actions are a vie for a particular set of feelings or if they are actually dealing with something in a physical sense(i.e. food, shelter etc.) . Many rise to the occasion of devoting yourself entirely to others, but it is a difficult task: you must first of all be able judge all situations soundly and without bias; you have to listen with your ears and not your heart; the most quintessential and thus perhaps the most difficult part is overcoming your innate desire to value your wants and needs above other peoples'; it is this, however, that would be your undoing in your bout to surmount your own "selfishness": the desires of the common man-- of every man-- would have to be just as important to you as they to are to them. You just simply must submit yourself to a higher calling, to a power you thought not had, when it reality it was just that you didn't comprehend how to use it. Balance must be established between what you want, and what they want-- none may surpass the other; all must remain equal.

The next aspect to understanding this subject is best understood by asking and drawing conclusions to two questions: 1.) Is being self-interested a bad thing? And 2.) What constitutes "selfishness?" To answer the first one: no, for the most part. Throughout all of time it is those who were self-interested that pioneered the world and promoted growth. It is capitalistic by nature that people respond to a reward system and other stimulation in that vein. Regarding this, it is by pursuing their self-interests that people are able to put forth such genuine vigor into what they do; it is they who craft the world as they see fit to secure a better future for them, their friends and family, and those like them who have been through such similar hardships. Others run rampant, however, and they abuse the power bestowed on them; the power that was meant to keep all at balance and they shift it all to their end. The error in this is that as the social hierarchy becomes so thusly unbalanced it is soon to collapse and fall in on itself. These tyrants to the core, however, work the magic in a bit of a different way: they push people to such extremes that it creates numerous individuals who have had enough of such oppression and rise to stand against it. Individuals who muster the strength to triumph for the innate desire to secure a safe and comfortable future for those they care about. The second question does not have such a resolute answer. Is it selfish to take what you need and nothing more? Even if someone else needs that stuff too? Would it then be selfish to keep the food to ensure that you and yours have enough to live, or would you be deigned to split the food, even if at a full it was barely enough to feed one family, let alone two at half o it's value. Or is it only selfishness when you begin to take more than you need, and as a result someone is deprived of what they need; that only in the cases where you have a surplus to give away and can still retain enough of what you need to make it through life? Only when these two questions have been considered can one begin to understand as to whether people are self-interested, or more so: if it truly matters; if someone does the right thing, does it matter why they did it, or just that they did it? I'm sure that most of us would be ascertained that the it's better to have good done for the wrong reasons than only mere good intent.

Years
  • I don't think we act out of self interest, but we may DEVELOP a hidden agenda or ulterior motive in some cases. I met someone who I wanted to help, and in the process thereof, wanted to become her friend. Which I did. Just a minor example of my thoughts, but...

outfox

in
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2013
    If you replace 'selfishness' with 'self-preservation' I think an argument against genuine altruism could be more coherent. We're kind of raised to act out of self-interest, but where you find the trait of empathy is where you'll find altruistic behavior; i think the trait of empathy is a necessity to the preservation of humanity, not just oneself. Since Lance Armstrong seems to be all the (roid) rage at the moment, I'll bring actions he's known for up: donating millions to cancer research. One could argue that he simply has the money and wants positive attention, but we know he's gone through the pangs of cancer and it's reasonable to trust that he feels for cancer victims and their families and therefore is not acting out of self-interest, but out of human interest, and that could ultimately be selfish depending on how you look at it but in my opinion is an example of genuine altruism.

Gliberty

Pro-Arrogance Party Member
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2013
    If you replace 'selfishness' with 'self-preservation' I think an argument against genuine altruism could be more coherent. We're kind of raised to act out of self-interest, but where you find the trait of empathy is where you'll find altruistic behavior; i think the trait of empathy is a necessity to the preservation of humanity, not just oneself. Since Lance Armstrong seems to be all the (roid) rage at the moment, I'll bring actions he's known for up: donating millions to cancer research. One could argue that he simply has the money and wants positive attention, but we know he's gone through the pangs of cancer and it's reasonable to trust that he feels for cancer victims and their families and therefore is not acting out of self-interest, but out of human interest, and that could ultimately be selfish depending on how you look at it but in my opinion is an example of genuine altruism.

I was just about to respond with a similar argument. Whenever we help someone, we still do have self-interest to some extent.

Also, self-interest is not necessarily synonymous with greed or ego-centrism. Sometimes I think it gets a bit of a negative connotation.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • I don't believe people act without self-interest, which can be good or bad. I think a better question is what defines a person with "good"/"bad" self interests.
    Good Imo- Saving people for reward, sacrificing your life, raising a child
    Bad imo- Murder, pointless fighting, stealing without reason

Years
  • I think it's also pertinent here to not allow jaded cynicism to take over your perception of the world. We've been conditioned to think otherwise, but maybe people care more than we think.

Back