• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do u hate it wen ppl tlk liek dis?

Years
  • Actually, it's kinda...inconsiderate, in my point of view, because you're talking "liek di$," and everybody else can't really understand you, and they have to cope with it until someone tells you off, it's just unecessary.
    Plus, there's nothing wrong with using proper grammar! Hey, I'm talking normally right now, and I'm absolutely fine, it doesn't take that long to write "like this."

By the way, I'm considering writing and talking the same thing when it comes to the internet. xD

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Only time I EVER use chat speak is in AIM chats and the PC Shoddy server. Even then, I at least make an attempt to properly spell all of my words.

I do occasionally use "teh" intentionally, though, but only for goofy purposes.

When people do speak like that, though, I break out my n00b/Human translator and begin deciphering what they're saying. If I need to quote them, I then do a complete rewrite into proper English of what they said.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Chat speak:
    eh, it really aint tht bad, buhh it duz get annoying whn u cnt tell wat the othr person iz saying. i usully cud tell wat rhre saying, tho. haha, im being a bit hypocritical seeing az how i tlk lyk this all the time on aim nd mayb facebook....

Real speak:
    Eh, it really isn't that bad, but it does get annoying when you can't tell what the other person is saying. I usually could tell what there saying, though. Haha, I'm being a bit hypocritical seeing as how I talk like this all the time on AIM and maybe Facebook

I dubbed them Chat and Real speak by the way

Years
  • It really annoys me, there's no need for it, I mean how much longer does it take to type "like" instead of "lyk", it's one extra key...

I find I can't take people seriously when they talk like it, it just makes them look stupid, even when texting on my phone I use full grammar, it's just habit, and not exactly a bad one. The amount of times someone has sent something or posted something in "txt speak" and I've had to ask them to decipher it which in the end just ends up taking longer.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Yeah it is a bit annoying. I don't even type like that when I text either. I will spell everything out. What gets me is that why can they spell everything out? It is a lot quicker than doing that chat-speak stuff. It is everywhere and I can understand of what they are saying, sometimes. Now if they use chat-speak and capitalize the letters and use numbers with it, I have a problem. What is wrong of using proper grammar and pronunciation? If I started typing in chat-speak...my twelve years of English education would had gone out of the window! No way...

But oh well. As long they don't do it all the time it is okay. I won't get too annoyed.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    That actually pisses me off! D:<

Seriously people, lern 2 tiep rite.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
  • Yes. I do get annoyed by that.

I am indeed 13 years old, but I still try to write english (and norwegian) correctly to my best knowledge. I've always been good at english though - when I was 6 years old I told my sister's friends on MSN "My name is <insert my name here> and I am 6 year old." Yes, it is supposed to be "years", but I was 6, and i'm norwegian. I still think that's pretty impressive.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • I like it better when people actually type properly and use spell check. I can mind looking at occasional mistakes, but deliberately misspelling everything on purpose, in my opinion, just makes you look very uneducated and makes it difficult to read.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It's annoying beyond belief, and I see little purpose in typing like that. Unless it's abbreviating a truly long word for something like an IM or text, there's really no excuse for it. Chat-speak isn't the type of grammar you learned in school. Stop using it.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • I can understand if you're using it on social networking sites & such, in chat rooms, and text messages to an extent as it's not a formal site & the only people that are really seeing it are your friends & the people online in the chat. But if you're on a forum, it's really pointless. I'm fine with it to an extreme extent. If your whole post is going to be chat speak, then it's not even worth reading. If it's not that bad and actually readable, then it's fine.

EDIT: I'm also fine with it if it's for the lulz. If it's for the lulz, then it's actually worth it since it's funny. (:

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Can't stand it. I recall closing a thread for the first post being typed like that. The thread has no point if you can't even read the first post. If it's just messing around though, it's fine with me. I find it hard to type like that, though. I have some friends that like to type like that just jokingly, but I still have a hard time thinking "hmm, how can I type this badly?"

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years

• No duh

I even text in proper grammer. I think I must be a grandmother in a child's body </scary thought> Really, I just mind it because it's difficult for me to read, yeah, if someone types 'yew' instead of 'you', not such a big deal until it becomes over the top excessive. Not to mention that I always tend to wonder how someone can seriously think its easier to type like that. By that I don't really mean "u" instead of "you" but "liek" instead of "like" or something (unless it was a typing mistake from typing quickly).

Although, like Felly said, it can be funny if its used for humorous purposes xD

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    I don't hate it but I'm not fond of it. It is the internet so people really can substitute there I's for 1's or there E's for 3's or even "tlk liek dis," granted that I can make out what they're saying and they do not talk or spell the way they type. I have a friend who texts me like that and I can understand what she's saying 45% of the time. Also, I love to correct people on grammer :3 its fun.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I remember some nurb when I was playing Ragnarok.

"J'M bcp ce jeu!!!!"

Dude. It's "J'aime beaucoup ce jeu." Take two extra seconds to look intelligent please :|

Like I said, I don't even consider befriending those kinds of people. Waste of my time.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • Nope! I don't mind it. As long as I understand what you're saying, it's all good. There were actually a few instances where I just could not decipher AT ALL what a person was saying...
    But mistaking words like there/their/they're or you're/your/ur...well, whatever. Not really worth getting angry over.

Actually, what annoys me are the people who agonize over every spelling and grammatical mistake. They practically have a hernia trying to correct someone and completely ignore what the person is saying just because they don't spell a few words properly. The person may be making a good point, but s/he's totally ignored on the basis that s/he can't type properly. Give them a chance! It just seems snobby and ignorant to me.

Actually, what annoys me even more is when someone tries to get uppity and tells someone to fix their 'grammer'. :|

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Makes me wonder how can someone verbally tlk liek dis.

If someone types like that on the internet, at least I know there's someone who has lower brain power than I do.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I don't mind people using 'u' for 'you' for example or shortening one or two words, so long as I can understand what they've said it's fine.

But people trying to have full conversations with me in txtspk really irritates me. If I can't make out what you've said i'll ignore you. Either speak to me legibly or don't bother speaking to me at all ^^

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2014
    Normaly, I just ignore people who write like that. I understand if people use that to write notes in class (sometimes I do that to write things that my teacher is saying), but doing that every single time? Sometimes, I write "u" instead of "you" or use the "LOL" expression, but that's it.

I've seen paragraphs (!) of people tking liek dis & pr0ud of it. IZNT TAHT GR8T???!!!1!

Back