• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever get called by your last name?

Do you get called by your second name?

• Yes

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Yes, and it drives me INSANE!

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
  • Sometimes. It depends on who is calling me it. XD; Some friends call me that, some use other variations.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I actually had a World History teacher in my Sophomore year of high school (10th grade), he used to refer to me and basically the entire class by our last names. It never used to annoy me really, but he was the only one to ever call me by my last name. Everyone else would mostly refer to me by my nickname, Shivi or on occasions, Shivanan. However, since finishing that class no one ever calls me by my last name.

I don't have any problem being called out by my first or last name, both if preferred. However, the only name I keep from telling people is my middle name. I personally don't like it, and I'm glad rarely anyone knows it to call me by it.
    My American History teacher my sophomore year also did that to the students in his class. He was a very respectable teacher, who was about to retire shortly afterward, and has been a teacher of our school ever since it was opened. He referred to all of his students in a polite and respectable manner by proper titles, such as Mister and Miss along with his student's last names. I only had him as an instructor for about two-three months until I had to rearrange my schedule for that year and I was stuck with another teacher.

Some of my friends also call me by my full name, which I yell at them about afterword because I have a strong dislike for my last name and would much prefer to be called by my first and middle name, if I had a choice in the matter. Unfortunately, I don't. :(

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Nope, my surname is so unpronounceable, even my teachers that call others by their last name call me by my first. =D

Years
  • Well, the Canadian immigration office graciously switched my first name with one of my middle names and deleted another, so I guess people call me by my middle name when I first meet them (usually a teacher). I then proceed to ask them to call me by my first name, which is far easier to pronounce in Anglicized spelling.
    As for my last name, I rarely get called that, even by a teacher.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    My Science teacher was once a Staff Sergeant, so he calls everybody by their last name -_-' I got used to it after a while

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
  • Only my form tutor ever uses my second name. It really doesn't bother me. It's simple and easy to pronounce.
    The only time it bugs me is when people make a joke out of it. That does bother me. Quuuiiiite a lot.

But when she just calls me Miss [surname] instead of my first name, I don't care at all.
    xX

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah, sometimes my friends call me by my last name, but very rarely. And the only teacher who calls me by my last name is my chem teacher and I don't mind it at all. It's different from all the other teachers obviously, so I kinda like it. idk. :3

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Yeah my chemistry teacher insist on calling me Mr. Rivera. I usually reply with Mr. Rivera is my dad. I don't like it because people will say "wait your spanish, but your so wight"

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    my last name is simple. my teacher sometimes calls me by it, but most of the time hes just playing around ^.^

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • I get called it by some friends but not many and I'll be honest I like it, but sounds weird when people I've known my whole life who've always called me by my first name call me by my last.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Unless there was an honorific title attached, I don't believe I've ever been referred to by my surname...particularly because my surname is a standard word in the English language and someone would look silly using it in that context.

"Hey Black, how you doing?" XD

Last edited:

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Since I have one of those given-name-last names, it's not surprising to see some of my international certificates in surname-given-name format.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Actually, I think I'm the one that calls people by their last name. I can never get quite a grasp on their first names and i generally call most people by nickname anyways

Years
  • Well, the Canadian immigration office graciously switched my first name with one of my middle names and deleted another, so I guess people call me by my middle name when I first meet them (usually a teacher). I then proceed to ask them to call me by my first name, which is far easier to pronounce in Anglicized spelling.
    As for my last name, I rarely get called that, even by a teacher.

are people aloud to change someone elses name?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • OMG YES

I have a friend/acquaintance/slightly annoying person who often calls me by my last name with an -o attached, and it freaking drives me nuts.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I think a few teachers in the past have called me by my last name. However, since my last name is also a male's first name, it's a bit weird when people call my by it, so I definitely prefer it when people call me by my first name.

Years
  • Nope, I only really get called by my first name. If I were to get called by my last name, it wouldn't annoy me.

Back