• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Do You Guys Think this Game Has Potential to be a GameFreak Magnum Opus?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't think so.

I think it's great that they're being experimental and trying to push the boat out....but I'm finding it hard not to see this game as something of a practice run.

I think the "Magnus Opus" may come, but it'll probably be a game that builds on what this game introduces...and not this game itself.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I don't think so.

I think it's great that they're being experimental and trying to push the boat out....but I'm finding it hard not to see this game as something of a practice run.

I think the "Magnus Opus" may come, but it'll probably be a game that builds on what this game introduces...and not this game itself.

I agree, but I think GameFreak is stuck in a perpetual cycle of making games that are a "practice run". Every generation they rework things, remove popular features, try to introduce new and exciting things in their place. They have to get out of this cycle before they even have a chance and unfortunately I don't think they ever will.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm playing wait and see for this one. I'm worried about these open wilderness areas we're seeing. Will they have more to them than just catching Pokemon aimlessly? Will there be an incentive to catch Pokemon (more than just filling the pokedex) if that's all they offer? Another thing that worries me and that some have already mentioned, is how quickly it's coming out. I'd feel a lot better if I saw more time and care going into this.

On the positive side I will say so far I enjoy the style they're going for. Some of the new Pokemon designs they showed really appealed to me. I also like that it's taking place in what seems like the far past. Time will tell.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I'm a bit optimistic that the storyline will be engaging, which personally lets me overlook more than a few graphical or framerate issues. Bad gameplay is more of a deal breaker but I don't really think they'll depart too far from the normal formula, which I know works for me. Looks like the changes they're making is basically to make catching closer to the GO games which I don't really know how to feel about. On one hand I think it makes sense lorewise and I'm all for gameplay-story/lore integration, but on the other hand it might make catching more tedious or tiring, so I dunno. I do like the idea of wild Pokemon attacking the trainer, even if that makes me have to focus on the game more, unlike previous gens where you could kind of absentmindedly move while doing something else.

Basically I doubt this iteration will be a Magnum Opus unless they drastically improve everything before launch, but I can see it being a stepping stone to one in the future.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I would have said definitely not before, but its looking like it might be.

its pretty, its got great mechanics, and a plot mixed in with the exploration.

The only thing I could see ruining it is if they messed up balance for the quests,
    and they're actually really tedious.

But at this point, I've seen more than enough to validate a purchase so I'm going to get it.

Back