• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
Years
  • Idk why but I feel that I HAVE to keep my starter pokemon in my team until the very end :S But now I'm thinking of replacing Feraligatr with Milotic.. How about you?? Do you usually keep your starter pokemon in your party?

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • MY Typhlosion is in my Team Still, but I'm eventually going to replace him with another, bred to have Perfect IV's...
    Beat Red With Typhlosion, he's got my respect.

miley810

Assassin
    Years
  • of corse,the only thing that would make me swich it out is if I do some kinda contest,of corse I've never completed a pokemon game.Even though my Bayleaf,I forget what I named him,in soul silver is not my strongest,my tokitic is,the one u get from a egg,this is the first time I've realy focaused on traning,I usuly catch them for the pokedex,and have the ones that r strongest when I catch them on my team,thats why I usuly lost gyms

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Not always. My first SS save file, I did. He was the main building block around my team's choices. My second file, I sent my Chikorita over to my Pearl game and never sent it back to SS.

So it really depends on what my plan is for my team.

monkeymandude

The Poke Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    I normaly do yes, I don't know why that is mind due. That said I'm thinking about changing my Typhlosion for my Forretress. At the moment my team is Dragonite, Jynx, Leafeon, Elekid, Noctowl and now my Forretress.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I always have. I subconsciously feel guilty about even putting my starter in the PC, let alone keeping him there. Not sure why though~

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • I feel disloyal if I don't. I chose Totodile as my starter as he has always been there in my team of 6. I've recently imported over my top Pokemon from Pearl (thanks to a friend) but I'm yet to use them in battle, until I've fully completed the game.

I did however trade a Jolteon for a lvl 36 Charizard (via GTS) and that's just joined my squad. I'm surprised as to how good he is! He was withstanding Sabrina's Alakazam attacks, even though he was about 20 levels higher. Totally full of win.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Yeah, I never choose Chikorita because I hate Meganium, but I love the other starters and their evolutions

Nugg

Le Diable Blanc
    Years
  • I always have. I subconsciously feel guilty about even putting my starter in the PC, let alone keeping him there. Not sure why though~

Totally! Me too. It's like, abandoning your best friend xD

I feel that Meganium is a rip off of Venasaur, who will always be better in my eyes. The fire one (I forget how to spell it) looks weird, again much prefer the original Charizard.

I never liked Meganium or Typhlosion (To me, Typhlosion's over-rated :P). I haven't really thought about Venusaur. I nearly ALWAYS use the Water starter, ever since Pokemon Blue. But for Diamond I sometimes choose Turtwig :P

And does anyone else think that there is a SERIOUS lack of good fire pokemon?? (besides starters)
    In diamond there were like none, unless you chose Chimchar. The only other fire pokemon in that game i can think of is ponyta xD

Years
  • I don't I'm replacing it with an old starter venasaur. Because I messed up on my meganium I accidently replace magical leaf with some healing technic. But I have that move and petal dance, Giga drain, solar beam.

DizzieDan

Need To Find My WEP Code :(
    Years
  • I have kept mine so far but I dont think I will keep it for Competitive, btw Nugg where did you get your signature from?

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    I usually do but this time around I did not use my starter in my end-game team.

Around Ilex Forrest I shelved my Croconaw, and switched to using Poliwag; who is now a Poliwrath. I wanted to be a little more diverse and use Pokemon I usually don't have in my teams..

I still have the Croconaw... and will probably train it up after the Elite 4.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I've always kept my starters (Venasaur, Feraligatr, Swampert and Empoleon) throughout my party on my main save files, though for replaying other games in the series, I either use the other starters I didn't use in my save files or dump it completely and go for something different as my "starter".

I usually feel guilty dumping my "first" starter from each main game though.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    No, I don't find them strong enough to be on my team :3
    I only use them for the Gyms and E4.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
  • first time round, typhlosion was my main pokemon and helped me alot in the league and gyms, and beat about 2 of reds 'mons
    i started again acouple weeks back, and last night i beat the league. My bayleef wasn't even my HM slave or anything, i just left him in the day care. Alakazam and My Pikachu-coloured Pikachu were my main ones, with alakazam taking down most of the elite four and pikachu killing aerodactyl and gyarados of lance. Red Gyarados killed all 3 dragonites and Charizard
    DONT COME NEAR MY TEAM YOU ****IN LEAF MONSTA!!!!

Back