• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like the old ash or the cheeky ash (newer outlook of ash in the more recent series)?

Years
  • Personally I prefer the old ash and his character seems much more likable unless the new ash, seems like they are trying to portray him as a very childish and lame person.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I feel like the Kalos version of Ash was far more mature than the others. He was like the support of the group and had a great relation with everyone. And while Alola, he liked helping Lilie, he was largely more about himself like with Kanto, Johto, Unova and Journeys.

I prefer when he actively helps his friends. So I am mixed with what versions of him I like.

Like:
    Kalos, Hoenn and Sinnoh.
    With these, it seemed like he cared much more about his friends. And while he trained during contests battles most of the time, he still very much supported them and would stop when it was their turn to watch his friends.

Dislike:
    Kanto, Johto, Unova, Alola, and Journeys
    While in these, while he did support his friends from time to time, he was more concentrated on himself. And it was more so his friends support him more than he did his friends.

Years
  • Hoenn Ash seems the most balanced for me.He took his role as a trainer more seriously,as a character he became more mature but at times showed glimpses of his old self from OS.The other versions are either lacking in one category or in both for me.

OS Ash was an entertaining character but wasn't training his pokemon and didn't have the skills that he developed later on.

DP & XY Ash both are the pinnacle for him as a trainer but lacked the character that he had from OS.

BW,SM and Journeys Ash seem like characters from an alternate timeline that have no connection to Ash from OS-DP/XY.They lack the skill and their personalities aren't as entertaining as the one from OS.

AG Ash had a little bit of both he's towards the middle,he showed some of his personality he had from OS and was almost as competent as the DP/XY versions.

Years
  • Honestly, both. Ash from the older series grew to have experience over time and it was enjoyable to watch him mentor new trainers like Ash and Dawn. But I love new Ash as well since he's so carefree and lovable imo, and his behavior in recent series is pretty close to many 10-year-olds out there. He still continues his trend of crazy battle strategies and loves his Pokémon so no matter how much different he may look over the different art styles and how differently he may behave now, he's still most certainly Ash. ❤️

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    unpopular opinion but honestly i never liked ash..like ever. From the very 1st anime season in kanto..i liked other characters more than him for eg. misty. like if there was an anime with gold ans silver as protag and rival i wonder how thatd be. i never really liked the typical main character personality of ash tbh..but i guess thats what a lot of people like about him. if i had to choose id say i like older ash more i think? in the more recent animes he still acts as a kid although hes supposed to be older and more mature? idk

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Similarly to IcyIce, I prefer the more mature and supportive Ash of Kalos (and similar seasons such as Hoenn and Sinnoh where he has a mentor-like role). The "new" Ash is just gaudy.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I liked Ash from the original series the most, especially early on. I enjoyed seeing him learn about new things, and having mentors around him to help. He was very inexperienced, but he had a strong heart. That made the moments like rescuing Charmander and saying goodbye to Pikachu all the more impactful. I felt like it was the most authentic part of his coming of age story.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I liked Ash from the original series the most, especially early on. I enjoyed seeing him learn about new things, and having mentors around him to help. He was very inexperienced, but he had a strong heart. That made the moments like rescuing Charmander and saying goodbye to Pikachu all the more impactful. I felt like it was the most authentic part of his coming of age story.
    I agree, he had a great deal of character development early on and learning to pick himself up after getting defeated was something I really admired when I was a kid. Ash's determination has kind of stuck with me even as an adult.

Years
  • I'm barely qualified to talk about newer seasons of the anime… and by "newer", I mean around Hoenn onwards 🤣 So, I'm old.

I can't comment on character development, maturity, any of it. But I miss his voice actor from the first few seasons.

Something changed about the cadence with which he says "I choose you". It's subtle and nobody cares - which makes sense. But after eating, sleeping and breathing the seasons through Kanto and Johto, when I drop in and hear this voice saying "Dracovish, I choose you!", it just hits my ears totally wrong.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I agree, he had a great deal of character development early on and learning to pick himself up after getting defeated was something I really admired when I was a kid. Ash's determination has kind of stuck with me even as an adult.

I will say those episodes have some of the best of Ash. My favorite episodes are those that pull on the heart strings. But this might once again be because he is supportive of his pokemon, so it falls into the more mature version of him for me.

Back