• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you like the Pokemon stat changes in HG/SS?

Do you like the new Pokemon stats in HG/SS?

• Yes, change is always good!

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It will take some time to get used to.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Only homeless people need change. (lol)

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armleg

Protector of all Slowpokes!
Years
  • The stat variations among Pokemon in HG/SS are different from the ones in Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. For instance, I was dumbfounded when I saw that Feraligatr has lower overall stats than Meganium and Typhlosion. Personally, it's going to take some time to get used to. What do you think?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Are you sure about this? I'm sure competitive battling communities would have caught onto this by now.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Its lower by like 5 points I think, and I think DPPT was like that too. Each Pokemon is going to have a different stat based on how they were raised. The base stat on the starters is verry close. (But Typhlosion is stronger FTW!!!)

level.

Forgot about user titles
    Years
  • The stat variations among Pokemon in HG/SS are different from the ones in Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. For instance, I was dumbfounded when I saw that Feraligatr has lower overall stats than Meganium and Typhlosion. Personally, it's going to take some time to get used to. What do you think?

Umm... No. I mean how does that make sense? You can trade pokemon from DPPt. Are the pokémon's stats going to change when they are traded over?
    Btw, in terms of overall stats, Meganium<Feraligatr<Typhlosion

Armleg

Years
  • I'm going by the official Nintendo HG/SS guide book. In the Pearl/Diamond/Platinum guide, Feraligatr's base stats were one point higher than Meganium's and Typhlosion's, but in the new guide, its stats are lower than the other two. These base stat changes go for basically every Pokemon that appears in HS and SS.

I guess I should have been more specific and not assumed everyone else also had the guidebooks, lol. Sorry about that.

But, yeah, they base stats are definitely different than the ones from Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. If you still don't understand what I am saying, I will explain it. In the Pearl/Diamond/Platinum guides, each Pokemon has a potential of 30 of what I will refer to as "statistic values" which are divided into six areas (HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, Speed), making each area have a potential max of 5 statistic values. (However, no Pokemon has 30 statistic values.) I detected the change in base statistic values in HG/SS in my new guidebook while planning a future team. The potential max for statistic values is now 36, which means each stat area (HP, Attack, etc.) now has a potential max of 6 statistic values.

What I stated about Feraligatr having lower overall stats than previously is correct if the above information is factored into the equation. (That was a figure of speech.) Feraligatr's base stats now total 20 (which were previously 18) compared to Meganium and Typhlosion's 22 (which were previously 17). Due to this new configuration, I had to restart my copy of HeartGold and choose Cydaquil, since there are stronger water types than Feraligatr.

I also questioned how trades among the DS games would work since there has been a stat change, and I'm not entirely sure. Either the traded Pokemon's stats would drop, or they would rise depending on which game they were traded to, but that is obvious, unless I am mistaken about all of this.

If I am wrong about this, don't blame me, blame the guidebook.

Last edited:

Abs0l

Future Manga Maker
    Years
  • Well with the stat changes you just have to choose who ever you want.
    Even the weakest has a chance at beating the best.
    Im a cyndaquil and i dont really care

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • They're such minor changes anyway; doesn't really matter.

My Chikorita's my Wall Pokémon; as long as it has good IVs and a good nature, I don't really mind much. Need mah walls for my PokéChallenge!

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • I'm going by the official Nintendo HG/SS guide book. In the Pearl/Diamond/Platinum guide, Feraligatr's base stats were one point higher than Meganium's and Typhlosion's, but in the new guide, its stats are lower than the other two. These base stat changes go for basically every Pokemon that appears in HS and SS.

I guess I should have been more specific and not assumed everyone else also had the guidebooks, lol. Sorry about that.

But, yeah, they base stats are definitely different than the ones from Pearl/Diamond/Platinum. If you still don't understand what I am saying, I will explain it. In the Pearl/Diamond/Platinum guides, each Pokemon has a potential of 30 of what I will refer to as "statistic values" which are divided into six areas (HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, Speed), making each area have a potential max of 5 statistic values. (However, no Pokemon has 30 statistic values.) I detected the change in base statistic values in HG/SS in my new guidebook while planning a future team. The potential max for statistic values is now 36, which means each stat area (HP, Attack, etc.) now has a potential max of 6 statistic values.

What I stated about Feraligatr having lower overall stats than previously is correct if the above information is factored into the equation. (That was a figure of speech.) Feraligatr's base stats now total 20 (which were previously 18) compared to Meganium and Typhlosion's 22 (which were previously 17). Due to this new configuration, I had to restart my copy of HeartGold and choose Cydaquil, since there are stringer water types than Feraligatr.

I also questioned how trades among the DS games would work since there has been a stat change, and I'm not entirely sure. Either the traded Pokemon's stats would drop, or they would rise depending on which game they were traded to, but that is obvious, unless I am mistaken about all of this.

If I am wrong about this, don't blame me, blame the guidebook.

Yeah the guide book is wrong, their stats haven't actually changed at all.

Check out Bulbapedia or Serebii to see each Pokemon's individual base stats, they're far far more reliable than any guide book.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I've actually seen errors in a number of guidebooks. I'll place my bets that the base stats haven't changed at all.

Armleg

Years
  • personly i think stats in pokemon are for people who are losers and big pokenerds

Please don't say things that could possibly start a fight. That's a great way to get booted off the forums.

Anyway, I didn't occur to me that my guidebook could be wrong, seeing as though it is the official one, lol. But, apparently it is, because these stat changes don't really add up. Nintendo (or whoever is responsible for the production of the guidebooks) should ensure that the information they are providing the consumers is accurate. Dagnabbit! I don't feel like restarting again and nature-hunting for the right Totodile. I guess I'll just stick with Charles the Cyndaquil. =/

Btw, thanks, everyone, for clarifying this for me. I would have played through the entire game thinking Scyther was more powerful than Scizor, lol. I will check Serebii more often.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I don't competitive battle . Mostly from ROMs .

Actually for me , Sentret seemed to be more powerful than usual . He gained his Scratch (which he had from DPPt) and now kicks ass better in early stages . Maybe Nintenod modified Sentret for him to become more than an HM Slave ! :) What do you think ?

rhei1

Casual Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2018
    Meh, it doesn't change me a bit. I've never really paid too much attention to it in the first place.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • ... Why. You state something, and you don't give a reason lol By not presenting a sound argument, you're just opening up a flame session to touchy forum-browsers.

Please don't say things that could possibly start a fight. That's a great way to get booted off the forums.

Anyway, I didn't occur to me that my guidebook could be wrong, seeing as though it is the official one, lol. But, apparently it is, because these stat changes don't really add up. Nintendo (or whoever is responsible for the production of the guidebooks) should ensure that the information they are providing the consumers is accurate. Dagnabbit! I don't feel like restarting again and nature-hunting for the right Totodile. I guess I'll just stick with Charles the Cyndaquil. =/

Btw, thanks, everyone, for clarifying this for me. I would have played through the entire game thinking Scyther was more powerful than Scizor, lol. I will check Serebii more often.

This new multi-quote button is cool! Or is it new? Anyway, I heard that you aren't supposed to feed those big, green, hairy things that live under bridges......

But yeah, those guides have been known to be wrong many times. Personally this wouldn't bother me so much if it was right, because I don't have good IV's anyway, so lowering them a bit wouldn't do much.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Nintendo's guides are pretty bad with stats, they give a close estimate, but sometimes they're way off. You should trust competitive battling sources for this sort of thing.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well that's cleared up - the book was wrong (and not the first time either =P).

Seeing that's the case, going to close this as there's not much point discussing this now. =P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back