• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you miss the older generation Pokémon?

userpr

Quilava Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    Personally, I love not knowing what any of these pokemon are. I go into a battle and I look at my opponents and I have absolutely no idea what to expect, it keeps things fun for me. Now if it were impossible to get any older Pokemon at all, I would be very upset. Luckily, however, that is not the case.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Just by looking at the Pokedex, I slightly miss seeing Zubat, Geodude, Machop and Tentacool in the Pokedex. I don't miss Magikarp as much.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
    Not really, I love that you don't know any of the pokemon at the start, makes it feel fresh and exciting. Plus it means I'm forced to make teams with pokemon I've never used before. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2014
    Suprisingly, I don't miss them at all. I love all the new Pokemon I've seen/caught in my game so far.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I miss Generation 3 sometimes so I grab my Gameboy and play it for nostalgia. Then when I get bored of that I go back and appreciate the new games for their features and graphics.

Years
    not at all, I have played since gen 1 and its got abit boring see the same pokemon over and over. It adds to the fun that gen 1 had thats been missing since, a complete mystery of what this pokemon is and how to catch/faint it because the other gens had alot of repeats. in short love their absent until post game

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    No. It was fun thinking of a team to plan with brand new Pokemon. And playing Platinum, I freakin' hate how Geodude is EVERYWHERE! I can't wait to play Black with fresh Pokemon. It's a great thing GameFreak did here. I can't wait to see beautiful Frillish when I surf the seas instead of hideous Tentacool.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Not at all.

I like that there's no opportunity to use older Pokemon easily in B/W. It means that I have to use new Pokemon that I haven't learned a thing about instead of ones I know I can rely on. There's new strategies to think of, new experiments to try. It's fun to raise my team because I don't know what will work, compared to the basic formula I used to follow in other games.

Kunny

Caterpie's a boss
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 11, 2011
    Gen 1 is my favorite. I will always miss them =(

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I think it's nice to only have new Pokemon before beating elite4.
    It gets you to familiarize the new Pokemon sooner.

Years
    Perhaps they'll recreate the first generation on nintendo ds. and than ruby/sapphire,that'll be fun because I miss first generation too.It begin to have too much pokemons,more than 500 .. woaw

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I found it a little difficult working out an effective team that worked for my fighting style, I'm so used to having roughly the same team in each of the games. It was great fun experimenting though, and I'd say my new team (or planned team), is on par or better than my old one. That's not to say I don't miss them and the personalities I assigned them, but I can cope.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
    I love the older gen Pokemon and my top favorites will always be from Gen 1. But to be perfectly honest, I've enjoyed this new generation of Pokemon so much that I've hardly even noticed the lack of Pokemon from previous generations. So, no I don't really miss using them.

Also, it was interesting building a team with Pokemon that I didn't know. It truly felt like I was starting all over again. I usually plan my team out before I even play a game and I confess, my team usually consists of as many Pokemon from the earlier Generations as are available in the game. This time, I couldn't do that. So, I was encouraged to learn about the new Pokemon and in doing so, I found a few that I like just as much as I like the older Pokemon. And even strayed a bit away from the usual formula I use in making a team.

Phototoxin

Lord of Darkness
    Years
    I hated the dog and patrat's at the start. It's frustrating that ther's no grass or cute bug types at the beginning until you get to the pinwheel forest. It picked up there for me.

Years
    Not really, I've liked the fact that every pokemon I come across is new. It gives me more opportunity to look at the new pokemon instead of cluttering up my team with pokemon I know inside out.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I do to some degree, but I like not knowing which pokemon is really which right now. I like having to get to know new pokemon. It makes it more exciting for me for now. Plus, I can get my older gen pokemon later, so no biggie!

Back