• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    I nickname every single one I capture. That's right.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

some kiddies say i'm nuts for it

Screw those kiddies. You're not nut. You're amazing:o

To make each name are unique and not too silly, I recently pick somekind of theme for their name. Like named my Flygon to Baron or my Muk to Bishop.

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I nickname every single one I capture. That's right.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.

some kiddies say i'm nuts for it
    Same here. I always make sure to nickname them, even if I can't think of a good nickname. Which led to "ARCEUS" the Grimer.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2016
    I almost never nickname them, but after catching them, if i have a moment of inspiration i might...or if i can actually think of an ok name for them

Hawk.

The Hawist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • PA
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    Lately I have started to nickname my Pokemon. But usually it's only my Favorite Pooemon, the Pokemon I'm EV training, or Flying-types.

Sevrah

Sevrah Lux
    Years
  • Ever since the fourth generation set of games, I've been nicknaming my pokemon.

It gives them more of a unique quality..

What would you choose..

Go TURTWIG

or...

Go Syathi! (or whatever random nickname you come up with at the time).

-Sevrah

Years
  • I just named by Bagon "Salamanca" in anticipation of it being a Salamence someday. It's a reference to Walk Two Moons, a book that we had to read for school a few years ago. I thought I'd share that with you :P

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I only name the pokemon that I want to have as my main team. Other than that, I never give nicknames to the ones I catch to complete the pokedex... I've been playing pokemon for years, with lots of replays, so there were lots of different nicknames for some of the species. One time, I got into a Harry Potter craze and named all of my pokemon after Harry Potter characters. For awhile, I named all of my pokemon Japanese names.

Now, I just name them based by appearance or with names I like. I have an Umbreon named Gracie :D. My Gloom is Plum because she's the color of one. My Growlithe is Helios, god of the sun. Togetic is Angel, Lanturn is Hotaru(Japanese for firefly), and Feraligatr is Hyouga(I think that's glacier, I'm not too sure). Although it can be a bad thing to give them nicknames because when they faint, I feel extremely guilty. It also doesn't help that heart gold lets you talk to your pokemon, so it makes it easier to get attached to your pokemon.

psychomew2

Rank 1: Otsdarva
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2014
    I try to nickname my pokemon, but i usually procrastinate thinking up names until i actually have a pokemon and I often fail at thinking things up on the spot. Im usually too lazy to change names after the pokemon has been with me for a while as well. So while I want to give my pokemon nicknames, at least 9/10 times im not able to :/.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I try to nickname all of my Pokemon, but mostly only if I'm going to be using them.

When I do rename, I like going with simple things that no one else really uses?? Sometimes I'll take names from characters from games and cartoons or song titles I like.

Zaicon

Gameplay Expert
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2019
    I'm not the type either for giving my Pokemon a nickname either. I much prefer to let it keep it's original name. I've never given a Pokemon a nickname, not even once, by the way. It was just something I never bothered with.

This says everything I would have said for myself.

Bonechill

Ghost Type Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2013
    Well I named my Squirtle Harvey because having a huge turtle pokemon *Blastoise* and callling it Harvey is entertaining.

I also named my Mudkip Frank....I liek Mudkipz

Years
  • When I restarted my Ruby (Which was recently) I decided to name most of not all of my Pokemon, excluding legendaries. I usually name them according to their type/look (e.g. Aggron as "Irony").

Years
  • Since my White was a patch, I only got 5 characters to spare..

Samurott - Mul (Korean for Water =D)
    Galvantula - Mak (Given at random)
    Sigilyph - Mck ('M' and 'ck' from a profanity)
    Chandelure - Moi (Mei? It's female)
    Excadrill - Exca (Obvious enough)
    Hydreigon - Hai (Obvious enough)

..and that was it. I named ordinary pokemon starting with 'M' and powerful pokemon with other letters. [Sorry Chandelure! :s]

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I rarely give them nicknames unless I feel *fill in the name of a pokemon* has something about them that makes me want to give them one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back