• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname your pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Occasionally I give some of my guys a few nicknames but not too often unless I had some really good names in mind at the time.

To name a few I have right now,

Hydreigon - Ghidora
    Emboar - Hibuta
    Charizard - Efreet
    Infernape - Hades
    Gyarados - Levia
    Dragonite - Maroichi
    Snorlax - Bubbles
    Zoroark - Alma
    Victini - Vinci
    Zekrom - Apolyon
    Mewtwo - Freiza
    Garchomp - Belias
    Blastoise - Undine
    Swampert - Aqua

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I used to never give nicknames, because I never thought i was creative enough. But lately. I have forced myself to give nicknames, and I tend to use human nanmes that are based on the name of the pokemon, or their types.

Like:

Galileo the Togekiss (form "Gale")
    Tyler the Typhlosion
    Aiden the Roserade (when male XD)
    Alexis the Electivire

So on and so forth. XD

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2021
    I always nickname my starter and usually the first few pokemon that I find which become permanent members of my party. Depends on the pokemon. Legendaries are never nicknamed tho.

Ray F

' Friendship > Chuck Norris
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2016
    I used to nickname all of my Pokémon when I played Pokémon Crystal for the first time, they were dumb nicknames like "Aqua", "Rocky".
    But now I don't, I just can't find any nicknames that sounds cool.

Except when I'm playing a Nuzlocke Challenge, in that case I put random names now, since I think that the Pokémon makes the name and not the other way around.

Before I used to nickname Pokémon in Nuzlocke Challenges as TV characters, but I stopped liking this idea when I named a Miltank "BDecker", and now I can't watch Brooklyn Decker without remembering that Miltank. Bad idea, I realized that too late.

greg0915

Tomorrow is a new day
    Years
  • I nicknamed my shiny flawless DW Gyarados Malefic and my shiny flawless Charizard Paradox after my trade thread, but i don't usually namw my pokemon.

=(^.^)=

Rawrr♥ PC's Snugglemonster
    Years
  • I always nickname my pokemon. It adds..character (?) to them. Makes them seem more real, and 'tis easier to develop a personality for them. :3 At first I always nicknamed them in all caps, but at around the time the 3rd Gen. came out, I started fixing that. xD

gee2k8

Slicker than your average
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 24, 2013
    I nickname any pokes im using in wifi battles with friends. Usually quirky names or ones related to interests of mine, for example i have a Haxorus called Sauron and a Weavile called Bilbo.
    I named a Ditto wh*re in the past cus i was using it to mate over and over and over again.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2011
    The only time I nickname my pokemon is if i know I am going to do a link battle(or wi-fi, whatever) with my brothers, that way they dont know which pokemon I am going to use next.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    if i come up with a cool name i would nickname that pokemon that. but usually i just nickname it its jap name and my arcanine is always named Rajen.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Sometimes, mainly when I remember. I'll probably name the first Pokemon then forget lol. My Leafgreen team currently has these names;

Cory - Raichu
    Mark - Rhydon
    Chord - Venomoth
    Naya - Dodrio
    Heather - Nidoqueen
    Darren - Parasect

If anyone gets the references of these names, well done. :)

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • I think the only Pokemon I've nicknamed so far is my Moguryu (a female), which I nicknamed Aya after Hoshino Aya in Super Gals (the claws, and the fact that it's based on a mole (see the show)).

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I always name my Pokemon. It gives it a sense of personalization.
    Thousands of people may have a Cradilly, but only I have a Snaggle P.
    Also if you come up with some really abstract pokemon names it gives you an advantage, people wont know that you pokemon named "Boppsy" is really a big nasty Tyranitar.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
    Years
  • I've been naming my Pokemon ever since they got genders. Now a days, I name them after my favorite celebrities. The most memorable nicknames for me are:

Lamika the Quilava (my first nicknamed Poke ♥)
    Rodney the Blaziken (For some reason, every time I restart Sapphire and pick Torchic, it always ends up with this name if it's a boy xD)
    Trish the Blaziken (the 1 time I get a girl Torchic!)

(if you get the references to the following, you get a cookie)
    Jiyong the Charizard
    Jonghyun the Emboar
    Trinity the Snivy

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I have always nicknamed my Pokemon. I find it boring when they go by their original names. I feel more attached to them when I nickname them anyway.
    Sadly, over half the time I remember their nicknames before I remember their real names!

LeafeonxxEeveexxEspeon

Eevee Trainer
    Years
  • I think the only time I've skipped naming a Pokémon was in Sapphire, catching Kyogre. I just liked his name as it was. Otherwise, I name all of them. My current team (on Platinum) is as follows:
    Eevee - Shadow
    Espeon - Raven
    Leafeon - Thorn
    Glaceon - Frost
    Flareon - Blaze
    Jolteon - Bolt

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back