• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you nickname?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
  • Ive was never a big fan of nick-naming, until i played my first Nuzlocke. Since then, i actually enjoy coming up with names for the mons i catch, although im not the most creative ones. Usually i name them after the first "witty" thing that comes to my mind, and if i cant think of anything, i just give them a regular name (:

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • I have some weird nicknaming traditions. I did this runthrough of X where I nicknamed all my Pokemon after weapons in the final chapter of FE7 (Rienfleche, Basilikos, etc), and another one where I nicknamed them after Japanese warships from WWII (Unryu, Amagi, Nagato, etc). Most of the time, however, I just nickname them after some related aspect or their appearance.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I usually don't nickname Pokemon unless I can come up with a good name for them.But ever since White version, I've been nicknaming my team more. I think it makes my team members more special. Though I also have a thing where I don't nickname my starter. For whatever reason , I just like keeping it's original name.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    When playing through the main game, I always nickname my Pokémon. I use a certain name for my starter every time out of tradition, and then I have certain other names reserved for particular Pokémon. Other than that, I just use whatever comes to mind.

I don't name all of the Pokémon I hatch from eggs, though. I generally wait to nickname egg hatchlings until after I've determined that they have the correct IV spread I'm looking for (though I have a bunch I haven't gotten around to naming yet). I used to nickname more Pokémon, but since the advent of online trading, I tend to avoid nicknaming ones that I don't think I'm going to use because other people don't seem to like nicknamed Pokémon. However, I've always found that a Pokémon doesn't seem like a proper team member unless it has a nickname.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I only nickname my "pride and joy" Pokemon, so to speak. That is, the Pokemon that I go through the effort of EV training and giving the right moveset. My nicknaming them is almost like an initiation ritual. It says "You are officially one of the elites!"

I usually don't have a naming scheme. Most of them are named after characters from other series. I named my Dialga "The Doctor" and Celebi "River Song", for example. Or sometimes it's something completely random, like my Heatran named "Fire Death". Nicknaming is fun :)

Last edited:

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
  • I only nickname my favorite Pokemon/the Pokemon team I use revolving AROUND favorite Pokemon. For example,I would always nickname Dustox, but not a Charizard.

Basically, I play favorites. ;P

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • If I can think of a nickname, I'll always nickname a Pokemon. Although considering some of the older nicknames that ended up sticking aren't very creative, most of mine are really dorky.

Sometimes they're anime references, sometimes they're references to a place ingame, and sometimes I like to reference the Pokemon's japanese name. Or I'll just pick a name that sounds like it fits that Pokemon, for no particular reason.

But it makes the Pokemon feel "unique", y'know? Having nicknames is nice.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I generally just always nickname my Pokemon with the first thing that comes to mind. There's always something silly that I can name them.

Elder

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I never did previous to Pokémon X & Y, as Pokémon names were in all caps and I thought it looked choppy to rename any of them. With Pokémon X & Y, I do rename my Pokémon if I can find a name that suits them perfectly. It's disappointing that I cannot think of a unique and creative name for all of my Pokémon.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Yes, absolutely! I nickname all my Pokemon. Sometimes they're puns, otherwise just random words or people associated with the Pokemon or what it's based on. Nicknames make my Pokemon really feel like my Pokemon.

Schizii

Always tired.
    Years
  • I never used to, but once I got into nuzlockes, I was hooked. xD
    I usually use Latin names or names from movies I hear about (like Sven, from Frozen) or some famous people I like. (Like Avril~)

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I never nickname anymore. I never used nicknames for my main playthroughs of each game, but when I started doing challenges I decided to nickname. However, I've done so many challenges now that I can't come up with original nicknames anymore so I've decided just to stick with their species name (which I really prefer anyways).

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • i don't name my in-game pokemon because usually i'll be new to that generation if i'm doing a playthrough, so it's easier to learn the names of all the pokemon if i don't nickname them

i do nickname my competitive pokemon because after all of the hardwork i put in to breed, train, etc, a nickname just adds that much more sentimental value

Rabby

The Samurott Awaits...
    Years
  • I never ever nickname n.n. I like to keep my pkmn with their own names and their own speciality.
    However, I name my oshawott line set ;)
    Oshawott ---> Oshy
    Dewott------> Dewy
    Samurott-----> Sammy
    <3

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I'm playing Black at the moment and it's my first serious attempt at nicknaming my team. Only thing I don't like is that I spend forever coming up with nicknames....

What do you think of these nicknames?

Sprout the Servine (M)
    Mac the Herdier (M)
    Fritz the Joltik (M)
    L-BO9 the Golett (pronounced "Elbow 9" or "L B O 9", I prefer the former though.) I have this idea in my head that he has nine other elbow siblings, 0 to 8 and that he's the youngest with the most to prove.
    Yesterday the Scraggy (F) I thought Yesterday sounded like a " cool" rapper/modern singer stage name.
    Willow the Gothita (F) Named after the character from Buffy the vampire slayer

I'm happier with the nicknames than I thought I would be and they do add a personal flare, I just hate spending so much time trying to think of names.

Years
  • I've never really gave my pokemon nicknames, because I'm not very creative. (hints the name "RyanR")

Back