• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you save before you try?

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    I've just realized that saving before trying something is basically cheating.

You can go through the entire game without losing one battle in this way. You have lots of money. When you turn the gameboy off, you're essentially admitting a lose and turning it off to stop it happening.

How many of you do this?

I admit, I do but am considering starting anew to stop doing it - I'm sure it will make it that much more challenging. You lose, you make do with less cash!

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Yeah when I first started playing I was probably the biggest idiot, and I didn't even think of it. But now I do it when I remember to. I only do it before big things like: Somtimes Battling my rival ; Cynthia ; and Legends.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Cheating? Ok, I think that shutting down the power when you lose, it's cheating, because you are avoiding a punishment... but I don't consider it cheating when I save before a legendary. Mainly because it has been realy encouraged, even by official guides.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Depends on the conditions. If I'm partway through the E4, and I'm about to lose, there's no way on this great, green earth that I'm going to fight my way through the E4 again to get back to the point where I was. (In other words, I'm lazy. Yes, it's cheating a little, but when the Champion decides to be a prick and take me down with him using status conditions and/or insane luck, I'd most likely be too blinking annoyed to go through four trainers again just to kick his tail for that trick.) Likewise, I always save in front of a legendary because I have a strange tendency to make a once-per-game Pokemon faint about fifteen times before I finally capture the stupid thing, thus meaning I fail at life.

For minor trainers, no, I don't save.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
    I've always done it. Never thought about it, though.. I just thought it was a basic thing everyone knew about.

I do it on other games, too, like Final Fantasy. I don't really consider it cheating, or they would've some how changed it.

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
    i do it before legendaries, sometimes gym leaders too. i never thought anything of it though and still don't think it's cheating, i think it's being smart hahaha

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
    i do it before legendaries, sometimes gym leaders too. i never thought anything of it though and still don't think it's cheating, i think it's being smart hahaha

Exactly. How is it cheating to save your game before any battle? I have to admit I save every so often because I am afraid my power will run out. Case in point I beat the game quickly without losing money. Its called being smart not cheating. Since the game gives it and encourages you do it you are only smart if you do it. Your not cheating

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    You have to consider that when you reset you lose all the EXP. gained so far, so you're saving money but also wasting more time.

oreobytes

super de duper!
    Years
    Exactly. How is it cheating to save your game before any battle? I have to admit I save every so often because I am afraid my power will run out. Case in point I beat the game quickly without losing money. Its called being smart not cheating. Since the game gives it and encourages you do it you are only smart if you do it. Your not cheating

Yea! Totally, that's like in almost ANY other game too...
    nintendo, sony, microsoft consoles etc or any other handheld console games as well they give you the save option for a reason and usually encourage you to save before you go to a 'boss' or something similar...(there's only a few w/o a save option)

Years
    Yes, i 'cheat' but i've never considered it like that. It's there for you to use, use it smartly. In other games and guides they encourage/force you to save before certain events. lol yes that's already been said and thanks for it lol. I do the same in GTA, never died once as a result.

Some times in Pokemon i let myself die, usually when i die near the end of the Elite Four and i ganied a good amount of EXP that is worth it.

Anyway, does this mean Soft Reseting is cheating? You do save before a certain point and give yourself a better chance of getting a shiny.

Improfane

hiatus
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    The feature is there so you don't lose your progress between playing and for hard games, so you can try multiple times.
    Its called being smart not cheating. Since the game gives it and encourages you do it you are only smart if you do it. Your not cheating
    Yeah, I suppose it's smart because you're taking the easy route. I am not a big fan of games where you die and that's it and you can't continue anymore. However, you are a smarter person if you're able to go through the game without falling back on saves before FAILING.

If Pokemon remembered the wins and loses of the game, most savers would have 0 loses. This is clearly not true, they turned it off to stop all those loses.

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
    Years
    Eh. No. The only time to "cheat" is before catching a legendary. =P

I think soft resetting could be considered cheating, but it really depends on what you use it for. I almost never reset before a fight, but I do save before an important battle. (Hate to run out of battery power at the wrong time, right?)

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I never lose to in game trainers, they are seriously way too easy.

This. Seriously. Nobody, even if they had the n00biest Movesets, would lose. Maybe E4, but still, that's only if you're underleveled. Which most people just try to be as overleveled as possible when facing In-Game Trainers.

Back