• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon is "dying"

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • Hey, welcome to PC. This section is only for non-Pokémon discussions only; I think you'll find that you'd get a better response over in Pokémon General, so I'll move your thread there.

GeraldTheTheroiest

Pokemon Theroiest
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2015
    haha same for me im 15 and i get made fun of for liking pokemon lol.But no pokemon is to big to "die"

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Not at all. More sales than ever, last I saw. Possibly out of mutual peer pressure (because it's certainly not boredom with the same-old if they move onto CoD), people tend to stop partaking of it after a point in their lives, while the next generation's children get into it. Perhaps the franchise hasn't enjoyed the cultural omnipresence in the West that I feel it had during the first generation, but I have grown up myself since then, so I don't know if it's still a big thing among primary school students. Most of the regulars on this site are in or nearing their twenties, so you might even find yourself a little youthful around here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Pokemon was first released years and years ago. Its main userbase grew up with it - so you'll see more adults enjoying pokemon than children.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    I think the most barren age group for Pokemon fans is 12-15, that's around the time a lot of kids want to stop doing " childish" things and grow up. But soon they realize how awesome Pokemon is and by the time they're in later grades of high school, they'll meet buddies who play.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think pokémon is a dying franchise. Some years ago, I was wondering if it could really grow any larger in a positive direction, but now it has become pretty obvious that it is so. Especially with the new console and more spin-off titles and new angles on the anime. I don't think we'll see pokémon stop making new additions to the franchise for years to come!

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • No, and I doubt it will ever die. However, it sounds like your area is just ... lame. Half of my StreetPasses have Pokemon XY as the last thing played, and I live in a lame city.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • Pokemon is always going to be popular with kids around 5-12 years old.

Which means those who were 5-12 when RGY were released are now about 20-27 years old. There won't be all the 20-27 year olds playing, but there will still be a fair number. Then every generation of 5-12 year olds when each subsequent game is released becomes hooked and will love the game.

In the end, assuming every single generation of kids loves Pokemon as much as the last, the fanbase is only getting bigger.

I probably made that very confusing, but that's my view...

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
    Years
  • X and Y has proved that they wont be squeezing out the last of the franchise for a while.
    I think X&Y really proved Game Freak could still make a good game, and that they maybe aren't just so concerned about squeezing out the money in the franchise.

Years
  • If selling 4 million copies in first 2 days means a dying franchise, then I have no clue what isn't.
    True dat. Haha

I totally understand where the feeling comes from, though, that maybe pokemon doesn't appear to be doing as well.

I think it's natural that people your age, as you grow up, develop different interest or even actively stop playing pokemon to appear more mature.

This forum and the broader pokemon community is a testament, though, to how successful Pokemon as a franchise really is.

I think not only does it have a larger fan base than ever, but even if it didn't - it has a more dedicated fan-base than many other franchises!

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • Not at all, it did seem to die off around Gen IV and a bit in Gen V but Gen VI seemed to bring back some of the fans to the franchise.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • If selling 4 million copies in first 2 days means a dying franchise, then I have no clue what isn't.

This very fact shows Pokemon isn't dying just yet. I think X and Y are bringing more fans back to the series. I've noticed a lot of new users who've join PC in the past several months have said they haven't played a Pokemon game in years but heard about X and Y and now are getting back into the series and catching up with the games they've missed.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
  • No. Ages 12-15 aren't too hot for the games (in my case it was 9-15 since Yu-Gi-Oh! was peaking at the time.) At about 16 people around me either began getting into Pokemon again or actually played it for the first time...and X and Y have caused some people who haven't played past Red/Blue to give the franchise another spin.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Given the success of X and Y, I'd say it's anything but. Popularity will certainly vary depending on the age group and location you look at, but overall, I'd say Pokémon is still going strong.

Back